U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 07:44 AM

803 posts, read 293,721 times

Advertisements

I’m not even particularly sure what Northern food is let alone seen people disparage it. Maple syrup and Boston Markets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 AM

44,976 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Pepperoni everything - LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I like pepperoni but I don't want to eat it like it's chips in a bag.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, really. Most southerners I know generally enjoy food, all kinds of food. They might have a preference for southern dishes, or be unfamiliar with some dishes outside their region, but I don't recall southerners in general turning up their noses at a dish from 'elsewhere' or putting it down for that reason, I mean, it's FOOD.
My Mississippi grandmother used to borrow Yankee recipes all the time.
We certainly didn't grow up eating one kind of food.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,078,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Iím not even particularly sure what Northern food is let alone seen people disparage it. Maple syrup and Boston Markets?
Ethnic delis
Unembellished seafood dishes
Dishes involving white beans
Cod
Clams
Boston Cream Pie (YUM)
Any recipes with Irish, Italian or Eastern European roots

Old 01-12-2019, 08:58 AM

Yeah, I can’t think of many people sitting around disparaging Italian food or unfried seafood if that was the point. Maybe he heard a bunch of borscht jokes? Though I’m unsure my mema would have heard let alone cared enough about it to make a joke.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:10 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,743,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, really. Most southerners I know generally enjoy food, all kinds of food. They might have a preference for southern dishes, or be unfamiliar with some dishes outside their region, but I don't recall southerners in general turning up their noses at a dish from 'elsewhere' or putting it down for that reason, I mean, it's FOOD.
Maybe it's just rougher in Louisiana but I constantly heard "Yankees can't cook" and "That's Yankee food!" and "Yankee food has no flavor" and "There's nothing good to eat up north" etc, etc, so forth.

I can NOT be the only person who experienced this.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,851,656 times
Man, someone needs to offer up some examples of what northern food they've heard southerners complain about.

Nothing comes to mind. Have never heard any criticism of northern food items.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,743,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Man, someone needs to offer up some examples of what northern food they've heard southerners complain about.

Nothing comes to mind. Have never heard any criticism of northern food items.
It's never been specific in my experience so much as general dismissal or bashing of all assumed northern foods.

But the same people would turn around and enjoy American pizza and Buffalo Wings without a clue.

Although I did get constant quizzical interactions for liking sour kraut when I lived in the south.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:16 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,851,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post

Maybe it's just rougher in Louisiana but I constantly heard "Yankees can't cook" and "That's Yankee food!" and "Yankee food has no flavor" and "There's nothing good to eat up north" etc, etc, so forth.

I can NOT be the only person who experienced this.
Maybe it is Louisiana. Their food is often spicy.

My grandparents grew up in Virginia. I've lived in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas, and never heard any complaints about food up north by friends, family, or co-workers. Most southerners would just look at eating different food while traveling up north as an adventure.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 AM

I’ve heard lots of things about Yankees, but I can’t remember anything about food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or