U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Maybe it is Louisiana. Their food is often spicy.

My grandparents grew up in Virginia. I've lived in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas, and never heard any complaints about food up north by friends, family, or co-workers. Most southerners would just look at eating different food while traveling up north as an adventure.
My mind is honestly blown.

When I moved to Louisiana I must have just had bad luck because I met every smug, snobby poor example of southern culture while there.

People dead set on bashing everything about me based on my home state of origin. People who literally got mad that I wasn't afraid of Hurricane Gustav. No exaggeration.

Either I threaded the needle on the character profiles or Louisiana has a generally snobbish culture. A LOT of people there treated me like crap for being northern.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM

23,042 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It's never been specific in my experience so much as general dismissal or bashing of all assumed northern foods.

But the same people would turn around and enjoy American pizza and Buffalo Wings without a clue.

Although I did get constant quizzical interactions for liking sour kraut when I lived in the south.
We're just talking about general ignorance here, which is not relegated to any particular region.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
We're just talking about general ignorance here, which is not relegated to any particular region.
If you follow this back to the beginning you'll find that's my point.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 AM

5,128 posts, read 5,840,343 times
I did hear one complaint by a southerner that was funny, but not exactly about food.

A co-worker in Texas traveled to the northeast on business. She was a sales manager at a convention hotel, and the northeast was her territory.

She was having lunch in NYC, and she asked for an iced tea. The waiter said, "Iced tea is out of season." She looked at him and said, "How can iced tea be out of season? It's not strawberries!"

Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 AM

793 posts, read 287,839 times
I’ve never been to Louisiana, but I’m now imagining “I hate ya’lls Yankee unfried clams and unnaturally flat NY pizzas” shouted in the best creole accent imaginable.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’ve never been to Louisiana, but I’m now imagining “I hate ya’lls Yankee unfried clams and unnaturally flat NY pizzas” shouted in the best creole accent imaginable.
I truly hope it was just the family I happened to associate with that was like that. I really may have just gotten a bad run of luck.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 PM

272 posts, read 68,111 times
Greetings,
As I see this discussion, to me it's about "stereotypes and cultures". IMO it's a human flaw to fear anyone different than we are. We then mis-categorize those different than us and place "all of them" into a stereotype. Which we know is wrong, but is done often. The other misunderstood issue is culture. We are all a little different at least and some of us are very different. Yet this is not a judgement.... it's just we eat different foods, or we pronounce words differently, or we have different religions, beliefs, etc. etc. etc. This culture isn't hoitey-toitey, it's how we were brought up, it's how we were taught, it's how our friends and families were taught, and used to, it's a way of life. This culture isn't just national, it's regional, and it's local! Ideally we can learn far more from folks different than we are than just learning from those most like us. We all have much to learn and likewise we all have much to share. If we all could put aside our differences, we would find that we truly are far more alike than we are different!
Peace!

Old 01-12-2019, 02:52 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post

Fried clams?

As a proud Okie/Southwesterner, I would eat any Yankee food before that!

Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Fried clams?

As a proud Okie/Southwesterner, I would eat any Yankee food before that!
OMG, they're wonderful!

We go to New England every summer, and my mouth is watering on the flight up every year just thinking about them.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 AM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Ok, I'm well traveled and not a picky eater at all, and believe me, I think there's great food in every culture.

That being said, I freely admit it - if I had to choose between recipes from Southern Living and recipes from New England Today, I'm going with Southern Living recipes.

But I've lived in the South in general most of my 56 years on this earth, and I've lived in Texas (OMG, the food...the food...) for 25 of those years, and I am originally from New Orleans, so of course I have cultural preferences.

I get New England Today magazine, and I really love so many things about New England in general, but every week they publish "the best recipes" of the week in a recap, and I have tried many of them, with varying levels of success. Honestly, I find most of them to be bland. Not all, but most of them. And they're not bad - they're just not Louisiana or Texas food, which has probably created a spicy monster in me!

Credit though to the seafood. I spent about 8 years living in the Chesapeake Bay area and I do love me some seafood, but even I admit that in general, New England seafood is THE BEST. I mean, consistently. And so much variety! I prefer Atlantic seaboard seafood to that of the Gulf of Mexico and New England rocks it totally. But please don't pass me that brown bread in a can or any Indian pudding - and I really don't care a thing about baked beans. Or any beans, actually. Not even refried beans in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or