U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-19-2019, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Reputation: 5374

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Ehhh. Anecdotally, I feel like I relate better to folks from rural CT, ME, and NH as someone who grew up in Boston proper than I relate to folks from the city of Charlotte.
Fair enough, but New England is a bit of a different case from the bulk of the US. All of New England, area wise, could be a single state and the general mingling of its cultures show it. Even if you left Maine separate.

That and Boston and Charlotte are two very different cities even in a vacuum.

Also, you have to take into account individuality. Remember that I am speaking in general terms, you could easily be an exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2019, 08:04 PM
 
29,918 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18455
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Ehhh. Anecdotally, I feel like I relate better to folks from rural CT, ME, and NH as someone who grew up in Boston proper than I relate to folks from the city of Charlotte.
New England probably has less of a cultural urban/rural divide than any other region the country. I'd imagine a big part of that is because it's such a geographically small region.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-19-2019 at 08:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,000 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Reputation: 30850
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
The one thing I notice about the South vs. the North (and California), and especially among college educated Southerners, is identification with institutions. They hang flags of where they went to college, and you don't want to insult the QB of Wake Forest/UNC/Georgia Tech/Alabama/whatever SEC or ACC school they went to. Suburban Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville have a lot of these flags with college names hanging by the front door, and I've been to social events there where people have to let you know which school they went to. Not to brag, like a Northerner or Californian might, but because it's like going to NC State or Tennessee or Georgia is part of who they are.

They do the same with the large employer they work for. People I've met in nice Northside Atlanta suburbs who work for Georgia Pacific, IBM, Coca-Cola, or Delta wear it like it's part of who they are, just like their college. It's like the company is part of their identity, and they can't comprehend how we Californians change jobs all the time.

This also used to happen with their churches, but this seems to be dying down as the suburbs of larger southern cities become more diverse, especially with non-Christian South Asians.
Everything we do is a part of who we are. Californians aren't the only people who change jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 PM
 
224 posts, read 113,957 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Ehhh. Anecdotally, I feel like I relate better to folks from rural CT, ME, and NH as someone who grew up in Boston proper than I relate to folks from the city of Charlotte.
+1 from another urban New Englander. I think the rural/urban divide is important but regions are probably as or more important in terms of what a person relates to. I think city-data might emphasize rural/urban a bit too much. Same with the whole coast thing. East coast and west coast are not one and the same, not IME.

When I moved to the South I was in a relationship with someone from small town NY. I don't think it would have ever occurred to him that the rural South was similar to him because they were both rural. On the contrary he felt very out of place visiting me in certain places and always tried to leave quickly. On my end I certainly felt more similar to him than to anyone in the cities of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
+1 from another urban New Englander. I think the rural/urban divide is important but regions are probably as or more important in terms of what a person relates to. I think city-data might emphasize rural/urban a bit too much. Same with the whole coast thing. East coast and west coast are not one and the same, not IME.

When I moved to the South I was in a relationship with someone from small town NY. I don't think it would have ever occurred to him that the rural South was similar to him because they were both rural. On the contrary he felt very out of place visiting me in certain places and always tried to leave quickly. On my end I certainly felt more similar to him than to anyone in the cities of the South.
Again, individuality is a factor.

Aside from that, there are many small towns in NY that are either generally affluent, or still within the urban circle of one of the big cities.

What I call true small town is a place like Montour Falls, Dundee, Millport, Rathbone, or Jasper, etc. The kinda town where you can drink beer, have a smoke, and play country music on your front porch with no shirt on and nobody gives you a dirty look for it.

If he's from a place ten miles from Rochester with 15K residents (or comparable), I hardly consider that rural or small town.

I'm genuinely curious, what's his home town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 07:48 AM
 
224 posts, read 113,957 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Again, individuality is a factor.

Aside from that, there are many small towns in NY that are either generally affluent, or still within the urban circle of one of the big cities.

What I call true small town is a place like Montour Falls, Dundee, Millport, Rathbone, or Jasper, etc. The kinda town where you can drink beer, have a smoke, and play country music on your front porch with no shirt on and nobody gives you a dirty look for it.

If he's from a place ten miles from Rochester with 15K residents (or comparable), I hardly consider that rural or small town.

I'm genuinely curious, what's his home town?
For privacy reasons I can't say. I'll say it's far from Rochester or a large city, <10k population, and not affluent.

It's a small town in a small town area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Naples Island
1,014 posts, read 640,325 times
Reputation: 2040
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Again, individuality is a factor.

Aside from that, there are many small towns in NY that are either generally affluent, or still within the urban circle of one of the big cities.

What I call true small town is a place like Montour Falls, Dundee, Millport, Rathbone, or Jasper, etc. The kinda town where you can drink beer, have a smoke, and play country music on your front porch with no shirt on and nobody gives you a dirty look for it.

If he's from a place ten miles from Rochester with 15K residents (or comparable), I hardly consider that rural or small town.

I'm genuinely curious, what's his home town?
There are a handful of affluent small towns in Upstate New York that are affluent such as Aurora, Clinton and Skaneateles, for example. However, most non-metropolitan small towns in Upstate New York are economically depressed and rundown, especially compared to, say, western Massachusetts or northeastern Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
There are a handful of affluent small towns in Upstate New York that are affluent such as Aurora, Clinton and Skaneateles, for example. However, most non-metropolitan small towns in Upstate New York are economically depressed and rundown, especially compared to, say, western Massachusetts or northeastern Ohio.
... I know. I don't think you followed the whole conversation here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,733,270 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
For privacy reasons I can't say. I'll say it's far from Rochester or a large city, <10k population, and not affluent.

It's a small town in a small town area.
Well I have to consider it a dubious claim then. How about a region? County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 PM
 
224 posts, read 113,957 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well I have to consider it a dubious claim then. How about a region? County?
Google says the North Country.

If that's not specific enough for you...oh well. I was giving my experience, not trying to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top