U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,737,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
Google says the North Country.

If that's not specific enough for you...oh well. I was giving my experience, not trying to debate.
He's from north country and doesn't see ANY similarities between himself and a rural southerner?

Might be denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
He's from north country and doesn't see ANY similarities between himself and a rural southerner?

Might be denial.
A little over two years ago, I had to work in Champlain, NY for a week and I definitely saw some similarities between folks there and rural Southerners, including wearing camouflage to work lol.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A little over two years ago, I had to work in Champlain, NY for a week and I definitely saw some similarities between folks there and rural Southerners, including wearing camouflage to work lol.
haha Right? There's an old saying in NY and New England, "the more north you go, the more south you get."

Old 01-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 11 days ago)

2,042 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but New England is a bit of a different case from the bulk of the US. All of New England, area wise, could be a single state and the general mingling of its cultures show it. Even if you left Maine separate.

That and Boston and Charlotte are two very different cities even in a vacuum.

Also, you have to take into account individuality. Remember that I am speaking in general terms, you could easily be an exception to the rule.
All fair points! I was more challenging the idea that rural/urban divides are the be-all/end-all for cultural differences in the states. They are definitely important in a general sense.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
All fair points! I was more challenging the idea that rural/urban divides are the be-all/end-all for cultural differences in the states. They are definitely important in a general sense.
Also fair. I don't consider it end-all be-all either, for the record. It's just that it comes into play the most often from my experience.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 AM

224 posts, read 114,196 times
Quote:

Might be denial.
I think your mind is well made up but for anyone wondering...

He was a very socially liberal, well-read atheist coming from that type of background. Who knows what the entirety of the region looks like but his friends and family were like him. At the time I was living in very socially conservative, strongly religious areas. So small town or not, he did not feel automatically comfortable because different backgrounds created different sets of values, beliefs, outlooks on life. Really, people I knew there were similarly put off by him.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:51 AM

975 posts, read 1,966,054 times
I guess I just get sick of blanket generalizations of some imaginary line and all who live above or below it. I´m from New Orleans, and we´re as southern as we aren´t, if that makes sense. We definitely have a laid back lifestyle and are really open and sometimes get annoyed by transplants and students from the Northeast, but then again a lot of the Bible Belt folks view us as weird, crazy, scary, etc. depending on who you talk to. Then I go just about anywhere else and I get ¨But where is your Southern accent!?¨ as if we all talk like Forrest Gump or something. Watch Treme if you want to hear how we really talk.

Rednecks are in just about every state, in some form or fashion. So are worldly people.

This is a more accurate break down of the true regional diversity of the country:

https://www.businessinsider.com/regi...-states-2018-1

Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeTraveler View Post
I think your mind is well made up but for anyone wondering...

He was a very socially liberal, well-read atheist coming from that type of background. Who knows what the entirety of the region looks like but his friends and family were like him. At the time I was living in very socially conservative, strongly religious areas. So small town or not, he did not feel automatically comfortable because different backgrounds created different sets of values, beliefs, outlooks on life. Really, people I knew there were similarly put off by him.
My mind isn't made up. I did also say that he could be in opposition based on his individual sensibilities. That appears to be the case.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:03 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times
I've lived in NC most of my 53 years and lived in MA for a year and a half. We just move back to NC and plan on never leaving again. I, along with most Southerners, love Northerners and others from other regions. BUT, we don't like it when ANYONE comes here to flee an area that is excruciatingly expensive, head South, then bring the same mindsets with them that created the mess they ran from so fast......and at the same time, throwing that mess in our (natives) collective laps. There are some who also bring with them very old, sheltered, and untrue stereotypes and have no issues with sharing them with us in a pretty patronizing way. Both create deep resentment. So, everyone is welcome and the majority who come are good additions to our region. Just be respectful and don't make our areas as unaffordable as the regions you may have left.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:58 PM

798 posts, read 291,004 times
In general I don’t mind Yankees fleeing down South. But that toll road they built around Cary so the New Jerseyites can feel more at home sure has tested me. Now when I go to visit family over in Chatham County, I take the longer toll-free way. Not one red cent of my money will the Yankee roads get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or