U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 06:10 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
In general I donít mind Yankees fleeing down South. But that toll road they built around Cary so the New Jerseyites can feel more at home sure has tested me. Now when I go to visit family over in Chatham County, I take the longer toll-free way. Not one red cent of my money will the Yankee roads get.
That's a weird thing to hold northerners accountable for. Pretty sure some southerners had to put it on the docket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 07:21 PM

793 posts, read 288,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That's a weird thing to hold northerners accountable for. Pretty sure some southerners had to put it on the docket.
Iím pretty sure it was built because the Pittsburgh exurb known as Cary decided they didnít want to fund their share of the building of the road after Raleigh forked over for their part. So the toll became the expedient way to pay for the road. Even if that is garbled somewhat, itís the one Northern thing I truly detest.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Iím pretty sure it was built because the Pittsburgh exurb known as Cary decided they didnít want to fund their share of the building of the road after Raleigh forked over for their part. So the toll became the expedient way to pay for the road. Even if that is garbled somewhat, itís the one Northern thing I truly detest.
Yeah I'm with you there. Toll roads bite.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:36 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,014,311 times
I love Southerners. I really do. In some ways, I'd say I like them even more than I do my fellow Northerners. Let me tell you. I've spent more than a year of my professional life working in a call center. I've spoken to people from all walks of life living in this country. There is a real (overall) difference in how Southerners treat strangers like me compared to how non-Southerners do. Especially when frustrating issues would arise that I have no control over. And even though I was an atheist at the time, I never did mind receiving a "have a blessed day!" remark from a Southerner. It was always kind-hearted and appreciated. Can't recall if I ever received that from a non-Southerner.

Well, through a combination of factors in my life (which the aforementioned may even contributed to, even if in a small way ), and I am now a born again follower of Christ. I have seen that God is love, and God's commandment is that we love one another as He loves us. Southerners do this better than anyone else in America.

Southerners - just keep being what you are, which is awesome.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 652 times
I am a senior and decided to move to Tennessee. I needed to love in a warmer climate. I may be a senior but I don't look or feel it. I was not greeted well by my neighbors. The man across the street decided he hates Northerners and picked a fight with me every chance he got. I tried to ignore him until he started threatening me. All I heard all day every day was "I'm going to get you"
Now I am a nice person, I volunteered for Hospice for years and sat with dying people and gave my time to seniors older than me for many years taking groups to The Cracker Barrel for lunch and we had to push wheelchairs. So when I came her all I wanted was to be accepted.
This man tossed nails in my driveway, killed my puppy, and used his dog to torment me telling his dog to bite me. I had told him when he finally went to far that 'I am going to get you now and I will succeed" he was so stupid he didn't listen I carried my camera in my picket and while he was telling his dog to bite me I started to take a video. Again he was so stupid he didn't think I was actually taking the video until I said. "Stupid, this is a video camera" he grabbed the dog and ran into the house like the sissy he is. He never looked at me again but not until he convince the entire neighborhood not to speak to me.
I moved my entire life here to make new start with what I was hoping to be nice folks. I am now being ostracized for nothing. I don't even have one friend. Sure some peple will talk and be nice but they don't want to be my friend.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:19 AM

8,718 posts, read 7,669,607 times
I identify as a self-hating Yankee.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood513 View Post
I am a senior and decided to move to Tennessee. I needed to love in a warmer climate. I may be a senior but I don't look or feel it. I was not greeted well by my neighbors. The man across the street decided he hates Northerners and picked a fight with me every chance he got. I tried to ignore him until he started threatening me. All I heard all day every day was "I'm going to get you"
Now I am a nice person, I volunteered for Hospice for years and sat with dying people and gave my time to seniors older than me for many years taking groups to The Cracker Barrel for lunch and we had to push wheelchairs. So when I came her all I wanted was to be accepted.
This man tossed nails in my driveway, killed my puppy, and used his dog to torment me telling his dog to bite me. I had told him when he finally went to far that 'I am going to get you now and I will succeed" he was so stupid he didn't listen I carried my camera in my picket and while he was telling his dog to bite me I started to take a video. Again he was so stupid he didn't think I was actually taking the video until I said. "Stupid, this is a video camera" he grabbed the dog and ran into the house like the sissy he is. He never looked at me again but not until he convince the entire neighborhood not to speak to me.
I moved my entire life here to make new start with what I was hoping to be nice folks. I am now being ostracized for nothing. I don't even have one friend. Sure some peple will talk and be nice but they don't want to be my friend.
I'm glad (ironically) that I am not the only one who got the short straw with southerners in my immediate life when I moved.

Fact is, there are bad people everywhere. The south is no exception.

On the flip side, there are good people everywhere too. I try to convince myself every day that folks like you and I just got unlucky.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:53 AM

44,664 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood513 View Post
Sounds to me like your neighbor is mentally ill and would be regardless of where he lives. You should report him to the police.

And if he's this unhinged I doubt that your other neighbors go by what he says when deciding whether or not to be friends or at least be friendly with other people. So if you're having trouble making friends, it probably has something to do with other circumstances.

Just as you don't want to have an entire region judged by your actions, don't judge an entire region by this guy's actions either.

Not sure where you moved but I've moved a lot in my lifetime and I've found that the hardest places to get to know someone and feel like I fit in, are small towns. Larger towns and cities have never been a problem, regardless of where they are located - north, south, midwest, east, west, you name it. Also, where YOU are coming from can color your expectations as well. I don't know why you moved wherever it is you moved, or if you know anyone, but I'm just saying that if we move to a completely strange place, knowing no one, and especially if it's much larger or much smaller than where we came from, where we had a social circle, family, work, etc. it can be a tough transition.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 AM

44,664 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I'm glad (ironically) that I am not the only one who got the short straw with southerners in my immediate life when I moved.

Fact is, there are bad people everywhere. The south is no exception.

On the flip side, there are good people everywhere too. I try to convince myself every day that folks like you and I just got unlucky.
It's often the size of the town that makes a huge difference - at least that's been my experience.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:54 AM

28,250 posts, read 26,220,119 times
Trump has YUGE rallies in Southern states, so apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or