U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 03:30 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Most Republican candidates do ever since the great party shift.

That said, liberals angered so many people in 2016 that millions voted for him out of pure spite towards the Dems and SJWs.
Really it had nothing to do with "liberals" and everything to do with Hillary specifically. You got the spite part right though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 03:40 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,649,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I'd hear stories from my father who is from Ohio. He'd tell about his times in the Army in the South in the 1960s-1970s. He mentioned the "good old boys" who didn't like Yankees, especially small-town Southern police officers.

I grew up in Louisiana, and I live in Texas now. I consider myself a Southerner because I spent most of my life in the South. I haven't noticed any prejudice from Southerners to Yankees during all those times I lived here.

Is the hatred still there, but not as bad as it was then?
I grew up in the North and live in the South, I have lived in every part of the continental US.

I don't see any "hatred" going either way; and if there was any it would be on the part of people for whom I have no respect for their opinions - certainly the extreme fringe and not mainstream - so why would you care what they think anyway?

Mostly I find not too much difference between people, save for accents and extreme hobbies.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-07-2019 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-07-2019, 07:25 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Really it had nothing to do with "liberals" and everything to do with Hillary specifically. You got the spite part right though.
Extremist liberals. SJW, BLM, Third wave Feminists, Antifa.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 652 times
Quote:
I'm glad (ironically) that I am not the only one who got the short straw with southerners in my immediate life when I moved.

Fact is, there are bad people everywhere. The south is no exception.

On the flip side, there are good people everywhere too. I try to convince myself every day that folks like you and I just got unlucky.
I am sorry did not answer this. I didn't see a response so I figured I just got this off my chest to no one.... I am sorry that you also got that short end of the straw. Yes I know there are good and bad but I was hoping for the south would be better.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood513 View Post
I am sorry did not answer this. I didn't see a response so I figured I just got this off my chest to no one.... I am sorry that you also got that short end of the straw. Yes I know there are good and bad but I was hoping for the south would be better.
I joined the Army at age 19 in 1957 and was sent to tech school in NJ. I believe I drew the short too. The sophisticated boys up there had fun with the country boy from the South. See, it works both ways.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:58 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Extremist liberals. SJW, BLM, Third wave Feminists, Antifa.
Nah, it was mainly Hillary. Major missteps made during the campaign, the last minute move by Comey, etc. is why Trump won.

And it's crazy to me that some of those groups are considered "extremist liberals" but I don't feel like getting into that.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sounds to me like your neighbor is mentally ill and would be regardless of where he lives. You should report him to the police.

And if he's this unhinged I doubt that your other neighbors go by what he says when deciding whether or not to be friends or at least be friendly with other people. So if you're having trouble making friends, it probably has something to do with other circumstances.

Just as you don't want to have an entire region judged by your actions, don't judge an entire region by this guy's actions either.

Not sure where you moved but I've moved a lot in my lifetime and I've found that the hardest places to get to know someone and feel like I fit in, are small towns. Larger towns and cities have never been a problem, regardless of where they are located - north, south, midwest, east, west, you name it. Also, where YOU are coming from can color your expectations as well. I don't know why you moved wherever it is you moved, or if you know anyone, but I'm just saying that if we move to a completely strange place, knowing no one, and especially if it's much larger or much smaller than where we came from, where we had a social circle, family, work, etc. it can be a tough transition.
You know I came here to get something off my chest. But you made me feel just like they do. The reason I never made friends is as soon as I open my mouth and they hear my northern accent they just politely turn and walk away. You can't make people be your friend.
Every day I heard "where are you from cause you ain't from here" then they would laugh at me. I am 72 y/o a little respect from them would have been nice.
As for my neighbor I had to call the police when he was threatening my life so they knew who to look at if was killed. And no they did absolutely nothing about the threats. They believed him.

Everyone is terrified of him I don't know why. BUT, I was close friends with my next door neighbors They told me where they hid there house key much to my chagrin.. I watered their plants when they went away for a week. when they came back it was obvious he was jealous because a few days later they would not talk to me. I heard him threaten the only man that talked to me. Told them to never talk to me.. WE still don't talk today...

You seem to have the same mentality as they do here. Blame the victim... I was the victim

Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 AM

44,682 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmen View Post
Quick story. I'm from Cleveland. I recently visited family in Dallas/Ft Worth and met my new brother-in-law. During our initial conversation, although he was cordial enough, he stated that he hated Yankees. And he wasn't joking.
He sounds like an idiot.

But if we're honest with each other and ourselves, I bet most if not all of us could name an ethnic group or culture that we don't care for. It's just that most of us know that comes across badly so we keep our opinions to ourselves. Most of the time.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-13-2019 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM

44,682 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood513 View Post
You know I came here to get something off my chest. But you made me feel just like they do. The reason I never made friends is as soon as I open my mouth and they hear my northern accent they just politely turn and walk away. You can't make people be your friend.
Every day I heard "where are you from cause you ain't from here" then they would laugh at me. I am 72 y/o a little respect from them would have been nice.
As for my neighbor I had to call the police when he was threatening my life so they knew who to look at if was killed. And no they did absolutely nothing about the threats. They believed him.

Everyone is terrified of him I don't know why. BUT, I was close friends with my next door neighbors They told me where they hid there house key much to my chagrin.. I watered their plants when they went away for a week. when they came back it was obvious he was jealous because a few days later they would not talk to me. I heard him threaten the only man that talked to me. Told them to never talk to me.. WE still don't talk today...

You seem to have the same mentality as they do here. Blame the victim... I was the victim
Really? I haven't thrown nails in your driveway, or threatened you in any way, and in fact, I tried to point out to you that it may be a SMALL TOWN mentality, not necessarily a "southern" mentality and your take away is that I am blaming the victim? Wow.

Hope you manage to find your place in this world. Meanwhile, I can assure you that I do not have whatever mentality it is that you're dealing with - those folks sound crazy. I wouldn't put up with that weird neighbor's shenanigans for a second. No one tells me who I can and can't talk to. I find that bizarre.

You HEARD that weirdo threaten your neighbor? Interesting. You must have been nearby. What was your response?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:51 AM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He sounds like an idiot.

But if we're honest with each other and ourselves, I bet most if not all of us could name an ethnic group or culture that we don't care for. It's just that most of us know that comes across badly so we keep our opinions to ourselves. Most of the time.
Which ethnic group do you not care for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or