U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 01:40 PM

12 posts, read 2,252 times

Advertisements

There is still a very strong negative connotation to "Southern" here in New England specifically and the Northeast in general. To most people, The South evokes religious bigotry, blatant racism (unlike our equally shameful institutional racism), obesity, poverty, Trump supporters, rural, uneducated and Christian fundamentalism. The South is held in low esteem with The Deep South basically considered a Third World Country. BBQ is popular though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 01:45 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyride2019 View Post
There is still a very strong negative connotation to "Southern" here in New England specifically and the Northeast in general. To most people, The South evokes religious bigotry, blatant racism (unlike our equally shameful institutional racism), obesity, poverty, Trump supporters, rural, uneducated and Christian fundamentalism. The South is held in low esteem with The Deep South basically considered a Third World Country. BBQ is popular though!
To be fair, a lot of people in New England think the same thing of western NY, Pennsylvania and south Jersey.

There are even some who think that way of New Hampshire and Maine.

Own-butt sniffing and nose in the air is generally something a lot of New Englanders practice. Thank God it ain't all of you.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
To be fair, a lot of people in New England think the same thing of western NY, Pennsylvania and south Jersey.

Own-butt sniffing and nose in the air is generally something a lot of New Englanders practice. Thank God it ain't all of you.

Everyone loves Maine.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:11 PM

4,844 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
This upsets me, as it seems that way in Denver as well. My few encounters were with people who's companies are based in Durham or that lived there.

Q: Would you ever live in Durham/Raleigh?
A: No, it's still the south.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:39 AM

44,672 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Quote:
My husband and I were vacationing in MA, CT and ME a coupla years ago. We went into a locally owned sandwich shop and I ordered a cup of hot tea. It was an unfamiliar brand with a foreign name and I mispronouced it or something, or maybe just said it with my southern accent, who knows - but I could not BELIEVE the response, not only from the guy behind the cash register but from the LINE of people behind us. Snickering, rolling their eyes, etc. I thought to myself, "My gosh, it's just a cup of hot tea in a sandwich shop - this whole experience is definitely not the highlight of our vacation, though we did make an effort to shop and buy locally, which we always do no matter where we are." I was shocked at the blatant rudeness. And it didn't stop there - when the waitress brought our food to the table she was also very curt and unfriendly. AND as we sat there talking, people around us would turn and look at us and then whisper among themselves - it was bizarre. This was in Concord so it's not like they should have been surprised by out of town or even out of state visitors. It felt to me like they were judging us by and reacting to our southern accents.

No, we didn't have on MAGA hats or Saints jerseys either! LOL We were just wearing normal, regular clothes, but we were speaking with that southern accent and I (gasp) MISPRONOUNCED the name of a tea that I'd never seen before! Definitely deserving of ridicule. Even the cashier sneered at me, rolled his eyes (yes, right in front of me), sighed and corrected me. And then stood there and wouldn't ring it up till I pronounced it again - correctly. UNBELIEVABLE.

I swear, if I hadn't liked Maine and Mainers so much, I'd never go back to that region. No, I don't hate people from the northern states, but that experience definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

That being said, we had a great time in Maine. Also, I enjoyed visiting Boston. We didn't have any negative experiences in either place with anyone else.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Everyone loves Maine.
I suppose you know everyone then? How's my aunt Sharon doing these days, Mr. "I know everyone"?

Old 03-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I suppose you know everyone then? How's my aunt Sharon doing these days, Mr. "I know everyone"?
Hahah- Thanks for the laugh

Old 03-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Hahah- Thanks for the laugh
I'm just glad somebody finally knew I wasn't trying to make them mad, just chuckle!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:18 AM

8,503 posts, read 7,632,909 times
Quote:

Eh, that's mostly Lawn Guy Land we take issue with, Upstate NY is cool.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:27 AM

8,503 posts, read 7,632,909 times
Quote:
To be fair, Cambridge tends to have equal snobbery towards the rest of New England as well. Can't say the rest of us care that much for Cambridge either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or