U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM

8,527 posts, read 7,651,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband and I were vacationing in MA, CT and ME a coupla years ago. We went into a locally owned sandwich shop and I ordered a cup of hot tea. It was an unfamiliar brand with a foreign name and I mispronouced it or something, or maybe just said it with my southern accent, who knows - but I could not BELIEVE the response, not only from the guy behind the cash register but from the LINE of people behind us. Snickering, rolling their eyes, etc. I thought to myself, "My gosh, it's just a cup of hot tea in a sandwich shop - this whole experience is definitely not the highlight of our vacation, though we did make an effort to shop and buy locally, which we always do no matter where we are." I was shocked at the blatant rudeness. And it didn't stop there - when the waitress brought our food to the table she was also very curt and unfriendly. AND as we sat there talking, people around us would turn and look at us and then whisper among themselves - it was bizarre. This was in Concord so it's not like they should have been surprised by out of town or even out of state visitors. It felt to me like they were judging us by and reacting to our southern accents.
Sounds like more of a shop specific thing (or a "Concord" thing) than anything else. Chances are the people you encountered were all transplants to the region, I've never experienced such in all my years of living in New England.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM

37,118 posts, read 45,641,400 times
I moved from Ohio to Georgia. There are so many Yankees down here that nobody has ever made me feel unaccepted.

The only thing I’ve noticed, is that we Northerners have already solved many issues that the south still struggles with. They move at a slow pace and are slow to change. They would rather continue to struggle than take the advice of a Yankee. The LAST thing they want to hear is, “up in Ohio, we did it this way.”

Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Status: "Got the rocking modern neon sound" (set 11 days ago)

2,041 posts, read 1,994,420 times
Quote:
No, we didn't have on MAGA hats or Saints jerseys either! LOL We were just wearing normal, regular clothes, but we were speaking with that southern accent and I (gasp) MISPRONOUNCED the name of a tea that I'd never seen before!
It consistently amazes me the difference in attitudes re:accents in the South vs the North.

Whenever I travel down to the Carolinas and tell someone that I’m from Boston, I often get responses like “oh Boston! I love the accents from there”. They’re always a bit disappointed and confused by the fact that I was aggressively discouraged from picking up the Boston accent growing up and that folks who use the accent up here are often assumed to be uneducated.

As much as New Englanders make fun of Southern accents, they’re far worse to their neighbors with New England accents.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
As much as New Englanders make fun of Southern accents, they’re far worse to their neighbors with New England accents.
Kind of the point I was trying to make, the "people" that poster from Cambridge was referring to (or in that tony café in Concord) would probably say equal or worse about the blue-collar guy from Weymouth, MA as they would the Texan.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM

44,797 posts, read 36,186,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Sounds like more of a shop specific thing (or a "Concord" thing) than anything else. Chances are the people you encountered were all transplants to the region, I've never experienced such in all my years of living in New England.
Well, to be fair, since I guess you are a native of Massachusetts, you probably aren't speaking with a southern accent. I think that's what set them off. I think they just equated "southern" with "ignorant." I've got news for them in that regard...well, no I don't either, because I'll probably never be in that shop again. Whatever!

Our next vacation in a few months will be to Germany anyway. Then Scotland. I do hope to go back to Maine in the next couple of years but I think we'll fly straight into Portland. I found the people in Maine to be friendly and pleasant overall. And I love their accents!

Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I moved from Ohio to Georgia. There are so many Yankees down here that nobody has ever made me feel unaccepted.

The only thing I’ve noticed, is that we Northerners have already solved many issues that the south still struggles with. They move at a slow pace and are slow to change. They would rather continue to struggle than take the advice of a Yankee. The LAST thing they want to hear is, “up in Ohio, we did it this way.”
Interesting. I have a lot of family in Ohio, lived there awhile, and still visit up there often, and I never really notice any significant differences in the way things are done.

I really like Ohio, and the people of Ohio, by the way. I think Ohio is a beautiful state and very much underrated.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
It consistently amazes me the difference in attitudes re:accents in the South vs the North.

Whenever I travel down to the Carolinas and tell someone that I’m from Boston, I often get responses like “oh Boston! I love the accents from there”. They’re always a bit disappointed and confused by the fact that I was aggressively discouraged from picking up the Boston accent growing up and that folks who use the accent up here are often assumed to be uneducated.

I'll tell you the least attractive accent I've heard, and that's the one from around Baltimore. UGH! So nasally!

You know who sounds a lot like Bostonians? People from New Orleans. Isn't that weird?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Well, to be fair, since I guess you are a native of Massachusetts, you probably aren't speaking with a southern accent. I think that's what set them off. I think they just equated "southern" with "ignorant." I've got news for them in that regard...well, no I don't either, because I'll probably never be in that shop again. Whatever!

I wouldn't either! But I've known southerners who came up here for work for months at a time, they never experienced it either. My cousin who grew up in NC (and her accent largely reflects it) has never gotten any weird looks or anything, that I'm aware of. Could it be something else? IDK. Some Texans tend to be louder than others, for instance.

Quote:
Our next vacation in a few months will be to Germany anyway. Then Scotland. I do hope to go back to Maine in the next couple of years but I think we'll fly straight into Portland. I found the people in Maine to be friendly and pleasant overall. And I love their accents!
Yep, that's where I live now and it's hard to go wrong with Maine. There is a bit of weird smugness around the city of Portland though, among some circles. Although just like in Mass., most of the worst ones seem to come from elsewhere. Still love that city though.

Quote:
You know who sounds a lot like Bostonians? People from New Orleans. Isn't that weird?
I once worked with a guy from N.O., and first mistook his accent for NYC or Brooklyn. Go figure.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I wouldn't either! But I've known southerners who came up here for work for months at a time, they never experienced it either. My cousin who grew up in NC (and her accent largely reflects it) has never gotten any weird looks or anything, that I'm aware of. Could it be something else? IDK. Some Texans tend to be louder than others, for instance.
I once worked with a guy from N.O., and first thought he was from NYC or Brooklyn. Go figure.

Yeah, I wasn't being loud or obnoxious - all I did was mispronounce a brand of tea. Honestly. It really ticked me off. Can you tell? LOL

But no one else, even in Concord, treated us rudely, so it must have been an anomaly. I was just surprised that not only was it the clerk behind the register (yeah, that's not too impressive a job but I digress), it was also the line of customers behind us. I was truly shocked at how blatantly rude they were. I thought they'd be more classy than that, but apparently I was mistaken! It must have been a pretentious little place with pretentious clientele and I just didn't pick up on it.

I try to support locally owned businesses rather than chains, and a "farm to table," "organically oriented" sandwich shop is certainly not uncommon where we live in Texas, so it wasn't like I initially felt out of place.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:

I try to support locally owned businesses rather than chains, and a "farm to table," "organically oriented" sandwich shop is certainly not uncommon where we live in Texas, so it wasn't like I initially felt out of place.
Uh...OK now this is starting to make sense. While I fully support what those places are doing, they sometimes, well (especially in a town like Concord)...have a specific "code" you are expected to follow. Someone from the region not "in the know" might have not necessarily been treated that great either, but I guess I can see it being worse for an obvious outsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or