U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:16 PM

37,096 posts, read 45,604,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting. I have a lot of family in Ohio, lived there awhile, and still visit up there often, and I never really notice any significant differences in the way things are done.

I really like Ohio, and the people of Ohio, by the way. I think Ohio is a beautiful state and very much underrated.
Yes, me too, Kathryn. Iím not originally from there, but raised my family there, and itís a great state with nice people. If only they could make winter about 3 months shorter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Uh...OK now this is starting to make sense. While I fully support what those places are doing, they sometimes, well (especially in a town like Concord)...have a specific "code" you are expected to follow. Someone from the region not "in the know" might have not necessarily been treated that great either, but I guess I can see it being worse for an obvious outsider.
Haha, ďNO tea for YOU!Ē

Old 03-19-2019, 04:49 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I once worked with a guy from N.O., and first mistook his accent for NYC or Brooklyn. Go figure.
That's funny. Everyone thinks that they can pick the New Yorker out of a crowd.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 AM

I can hear Massachusetts from a block away. Like somebody said earlier, I didn’t have the accent when I was growing up, because it wasn’t considered cultured, but now I love hearing it, and when I’m there, the accent kicks in.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:26 AM

664 posts, read 581,597 times
No

Old 03-21-2019, 10:58 AM

5,215 posts, read 3,630,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I moved from Ohio to Georgia. There are so many Yankees down here that nobody has ever made me feel unaccepted.

The only thing Iíve noticed, is that we Northerners have already solved many issues that the south still struggles with. They move at a slow pace and are slow to change. They would rather continue to struggle than take the advice of a Yankee. The LAST thing they want to hear is, ďup in Ohio, we did it this way.Ē
Sounds like you may have uttered that phrase a time or two.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Sounds like you may have uttered that phrase a time or two.
It was probably appropriate a time or two.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:53 PM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Oh brother. I've spent a lot of time in Ohio over the years. I've lived there and I still have family I visit there often. In fact, I just got back from a visit there a few weeks ago.

Ohio is nice but I don't consider it to be some font of wisdom. And I don't live there only because I don't want to live there. Nice enough place to visit though. That being said, I'm not particularly wowed by the level of sophistication, or lack thereof, there.

Good cheese curds, though.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh brother. I've spent a lot of time in Ohio over the years. I've lived there and I still have family I visit there often. In fact, I just got back from a visit there a few weeks ago.

Ohio is nice but I don't consider it to be some font of wisdom. And I don't live there only because I don't want to live there. Nice enough place to visit though. That being said, I'm not particularly wowed by the level of sophistication, or lack thereof, there.

Good cheese curds, though.
I didnít mean Ohio, specifically, donít get me started on how Cleveland has squandered the opportunity to be great. I just meant the north, in general, but I was from Ohio. I believe cheese curds are a WI thing. At least I never heard of them until I went to WI.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:04 AM

44,695 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I didn’t mean Ohio, specifically, don’t get me started on how Cleveland has squandered the opportunity to be great. I just meant the north, in general, but I was from Ohio. I believe cheese curds are a WI thing. At least I never heard of them until I went to WI.
I never heard of them till I went to Ohio.

I've been all over the north too. I guess my point is that I don't see how "the way they do things up there" is significantly better than "the way we do things down here." There are things I like and things I don't like about both regions and I can assure you I'd lose patience quickly with anyone who kept saying to me "In Ohio (or fill in the blank) we do it THAT way and it's better."

You said this:

Quote:
we Northerners have already solved many issues that the south still struggles with. They move at a slow pace and are slow to change. They would rather continue to struggle than take the advice of a Yankee.
Sorry, but I don't see things that way at all. And I can't imagine that people up north or anywhere else for that matter would appreciate that attitude from me either. I mean, what if I moved somewhere - ANYWHERE - with that mentality? "We Southerners have already solved many issues that you still struggle with. You move at a different pace and you are slow to change. People from this area would rather continue to struggle than take the advice of a Southerner." I mean wow, that would probably go over like a lead balloon and frankly, that ATTITUDE would be why people would probably be loathe to "take advice from me" - rather than the fact that I'm from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or