U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-16-2017, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Reputation: 27573

Advertisements

It's not hate, but I think there is some frustration.

Take a couple in TN vs. one in MA. Let's say they did the same jobs all their lives. The TN couple brings in avg. of $70,000 annually, while the MA couple brings in $150,000. The MA couple may have a similar house to the TN couple, but the TN couple's home is only $150,000, while the MA couple's home is worth $700,000.

The MA couple is probably going to have a significantly better funded retirement plan due to the increased wages, is worth much more due to the great difference in home equity, etc.

The TN couple can't really sell out and go somewhere cheaper. They're locked in. The MA couple can come to TN, buy a very nice home (much better than what the same couple in TN could ever afford), and still have hundreds of thousands left from the sale of the MA home. MA couple lives a far, far better lifestyle in retirement than TN couple.

For working people, it often works like this. Let's say I make $40,000 for a certain job here in podunk east TN. Let's say the prevailing wage in Nashville is $60,000, and someone in Boston applies making $80,000. The employer may pay the guy coming from podunk east TN only $50,000 - he'll probably take it because it's way more than he makes currently. Meanwhile, the guy in Boston may keep his current salary, or not drop down to the market rate. You could have two people with similar qualifications, one making $50k and the other $70k, largely because of the difference in salary from where they started out originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Reputation: 7690
You'll find ignorant prejudiced people but for 99% of people.. no. There's ignorance from both sides, though. I think its worse coming from northerners. I've heard ignorant generalisations of what Texas is like, from people who probably never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM
 
2,778 posts, read 1,624,811 times
Reputation: 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No. People down south don't dislike northerners in general, they dislike when northerners move down south and basically turn their area blue/purple, and raise taxes, which is the simple way of putting it.

Because apparently southerners can't and don't vote blue or split, and apparently southerners are opposed to all tax raises to fund services, while northerners can't be in support of any tax decreases. And apparently everyone who comes from the north is blue and wants to bring their politics.

Gotta love that simplistic way of thinking.
Well that didn't take long
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 PM
 
4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Reputation: 10289
I'm a Yankee.
I also own property in Florida and will retire to a specific area in Georgia, remaining undisclosed.
These are my observances: and read thoroughly before you jump down my throat:

When I/we get to S. Carolina, Georgia or Florida, we are treated differently simply because of our license plate, and lack of a southern drawl.

I'm also a New Yawker, and the " New York minute" is true. We tend to do things/ get things done faster than southerners. Southerners are more laid back, and claim " the weather" makes them move and do things slower. Pish posh. Well we get very hot summers and still go fast. We also get bitter cold winter here upstate and, while bundled up, things done fast too.

NYC folks tend to MYOB, and don't interact with every single person they meet, upstate is similar. The South seems to want to take up your time, in a slow fashion, and "chat you up " frequently as though you have all the time in the world. Perhaps southerners could take a page from our book.

Southerners hate people passing through to another southern local, and hate it more when we move there, even for temporary winter living. They love that we bring piles and piles of money from " outside" the area/region/ state, but don't want us there. Can't have it both ways.

BLUE States like N.Y. contribute more to the government in way of taxes, that the poorer red southern states siphon off, contributing while contributing less in taxes. People in N.Y., just like taxpayers on these fora, do complain (rightfully so) about " supporting southern red states", just like taxpayers on here complain about supporting deadbeats on welfare. SAME SAME.

NYERS are also tired of being treated like a red headed step child when they do winter in southern regions, yet they financially bring funds that the southerners grab with fained indifference, then turn their backs and cuss out the "damn Yankee ". Southerners WANT that money because their wage base and tax base are so low as to not support themselves. See previous paragraph.

Politics are politics the country over. There are red voters and blue voters everywhere in this country. Predominantly red states does not mean everyone voted red, and predominantly blue does not mean must vote blue.

Southern bible voters can't stay away from asking " what church do you go to " if you are there for more than 24 hours. That in itself is a loaded question, as if you don't belong to their church, they will try to recruit you, both for your money and to "save your soul" and to bring you to THEIR THINKING, or, they will lambaste you if you don't attend their form of religion if you don't believe in organized religion, such as myself ( my opinions drastically changed after having died, been clinically certified dead, and shocked back to life in the late 90s, so I've been there done that, and I know some answers some only think or assume they know...and no,don't ask me for disclosing my experience, you'll find out some answers when it happens to you). I find it distressing to have a bible thrust my way with a "my church is right, you are wrong " attitude over any issue.

Last I knew, this was free country, where people could travel and live and vote anywhere they wanted, but yankee/ southern divicesiveness abounds.

I also tire of blacks, colored, African Americans, or whatever they want to call themselves feeling they are " owed something " for past centuries ago slavery. ( and why is I can be " white" all day long, but blacks have to be African American???? I'm European/Scandinavian/Celtic American, must I use that mouthful to describe myself????). My family in the northern free state's did not own slaves!!! Nor did my mid-southern ancestors!!!! I was borm here, in the midwest, and as American as a black georgia born american is.

First, do no harm, To fellow humankind. ( there I disclosed one answer I received on the day of my death).
Too many insist on doing harm to others all in the name of god, country, race, religion, region, in an attempt to prove they are "right"!

I believe we are ALL USA American citizens, and need to or deserve to treat each better, regardless of our differences.

May the superior energy source of the universe help us if we continue to devide ourselves in any way. ( durn it, another disclosure from my death)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,878,001 times
Reputation: 3491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Well that didn't take long
What is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Southern bible voters can't stay away from asking " what church do you go to " if you are there for more than 24 hours. That in itself is a loaded question, as if you don't belong to their church, they will try to recruit you
I used to really think people exaggerated this, but then I was in Macy's in Dallas and my aunt asked this to one of the employees, and promptly tried to recruit him.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 10-19-2017 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2017, 07:28 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Reputation: 11078
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I'd hear stories from my father who is from Ohio. He'd tell about his times in the Army in the South in the 1960s-1970s. He mentioned the "good old boys" who didn't like Yankees, especially small-town Southern police officers.

I grew up in Louisiana, and I live in Texas now. I consider myself a Southerner because I spent most of my life in the South. I haven't noticed any prejudice from Southerners to Yankees during all those times I lived here.

Is the hatred still there, but not as bad as it was then?
It's probably not this way as much now, but there will always be backward ass people everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 12:41 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 1,248,326 times
Reputation: 1822
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'm a Yankee.
I also own property in Florida and will retire to a specific area in Georgia, remaining undisclosed.
These are my observances: and read thoroughly before you jump down my throat:

When I/we get to S. Carolina, Georgia or Florida, we are treated differently simply because of our license plate, and lack of a southern drawl.
Oh please, don't act like that only happens one way. I was born and raised in the South and some people in New York and New England treated me like an outside because I was from Texas or used y'all in my sentences. Isn't so much a problem in some other blue areas, like Illinois or the Pacific Northwest, but some Northeasterners for whatever reason have an issue with me. Then there are some who would always love me and introduce me to people like "This is *** from Texas" and then that person and the other would go on a short tangent in which they pretend to be talking to me about how horrible Texas must really be since I, one person they know, moved temporarily from Texas to New England, though at the time I wasn't planning it to be temporary. Of course, that is when they aren't commenting on my speech issues and mocking me, but I guess that is just the MYOB way of New Yorkers? Perhaps northerners can take a page from out book and not mock people you just met for having innate problems. Oh, wait, thats just my opinion of what is right, and that is just based on my experience with a small minority of people who live in the Northeast, not an observation made by some omniscient being.

I have experience being a non-churching going minority in the South. People never get angry or look weird at me whenever I tell them about my beliefs. Heck, non Christians will ask you the same question here because its generally a safe topic people are comfortable with. People aren't asking you what church you go to so they can judge you. They ask because the fact is the majority of people here go to church or have a church they claim to go to/have some relation to. It's like talking about siblings or weather, a generally safe topic people can bring up with others. Sometimes its just a way to make a connection to someone, like asking what neighborhood you grew up in, what sports you enjoy playing or watching, or what schools you attend-"Oh, you go to Church of Whatever in Placetown? Do you know my friend Whomever who went/goes there?" It isn't some hidden agenda to steal your money and point out how you are wrong.

Also, Texas, the Southern state, usually also contributes more like New York. Doesn't mean I think it is right for Texans to complains about having to support the blue states of New Mexico or Maine. We are in a union, we are suppose to help each other survive and improve. Also, then there is the fact that some agendas being pushed by Democrats, such as Obamacare, would directly push states into being net receiver states, which just makes it silly then that Democrats would complain that any state is being a net receiver.

It is nice that you try to end your post with a message about how we should all treat each other better after bashing an entire region, saying how they could learn from you (of course, they should change themselves to diminish their differenced from us), make assumptions about strangers (obviously your money is the TOP reason people may ask you to go to there church), make sweeping generalizations about groups you are not a part of and obviously have no intention of understanding (Southerners hate this, they love that), and trying to push your political views in such an offensive way that your only objective can logically be bragging, saying this as someone who votes blue more often than votes red. Though, if this is how you behave in person, I completely understand why you may get the feeling that all the Southerners hate the idea of you moving in to the neighborhood, for which I guess you try to chalk up to you bring from the North rather than your attitude and way of treating others.

Lastly, you may have piles of money to take with you to trips to South Carolina, but most New Yorkers don't, it sort of has to do with the issue of New York's high poverty rate thats puts it lower than that of only four Southern states, out of sixteen or thirteen, depending on what you feel about the Midatlantic states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 AM
 
4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Oh please, don't act like that only happens one way. I was born and raised in the South and some people in New York and New England treated me like an outside because I was from Texas or used y'all in my sentences.

~~I said read before you bash me, but apparently YOUR AGENDA YOU MUST PUSH ON ME~~

~~THERE ARE FEWER PEOPLE WHO MOVE NORTH TO NEW YORK, THAN WHO MOVE SOUTH, MOSTLY DUE TO WEATHER. YES, BOSTONIANS WHO PAHK A CAH IN HAHVAHD YAHD MAY TAKE ISSUES WITH "Y'ALL", BUT LOOK HOW THEY SPEAK. MY MOTHER ALWAYS SAID SHE'D LIKE TO SEE SOMEONE FROM BOSTON TALK TO A DEEP SOUTHERNER. REMEMBER, MY MOTHER'S FAMILY WAS FROM MID-SPUTHERN REGION, AND I WAS BROUGHT UP BOTH WITH THISE SYEREOTYPES AND A NEW YAWKER PERSPECTIVE.~~

Of course, that is when they aren't commenting on my speech issues and mocking me, but I guess that is just the MYOB way of New Yorkers? Perhaps northerners can take a page from out book and not mock people you just met for having innate problems.

~~BY MYOB I MEAN HEAD DOWN AND DON'T TSLK TO EVERY ONE YOU MEET, I DON'T FEEL A NEED TO CHAT UP WITH EVERYONE I SEE, EVEN THOUGH SOUTHERNERS DO IT AS A ROUTINE COURSE. I ALSO DON'T SEE A NEED TO WAVE AT EVERY PERSON I SEE, I'M NOT THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND NOR THE NEXT PRESIDENTISL HOPEFULL. IF YOU HAVE A SPEACH IMPEDIMEMT, I'M SORRY YOU GET MOCKED. IF IT'S SIMPLY YOUR REGIONAL DIALECT, WELL ARE YOU TELLING ME YOU DON'T MAKE FUN OF "NORTHERN SPEAK"??? NEVER??? SO DON'T GET SO HIGH AND MIGHTY HERE EITHER, AS YOU TELL ME~~

I have experience being a non-churching going minority in the South. People never get angry or look weird at me whenever I tell them about my beliefs. Heck, non Christians will ask you the same question here because its generally a safe topic people are comfortable with. People aren't asking you what church you go to so they can judge you. They ask because the fact is the majority of people here go to church or have a church they claim to go to/have some relation to. It's like talking about siblings or weather, a generally safe topic people can bring up with others. Sometimes its just a way to make a connection to someone, like asking what neighborhood you grew up in, what sports you enjoy playing or watching, or what schools you attend-"Oh, you go to Church of Whatever in Placetown? Do you know my friend Whomever who went/goes there?" It isn't some hidden agenda to steal your money and point out how you are wrong.

I RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. IT'S USUALLY FOLLOWED BY " WALL THEN, Y'ALL COME ALONG TO OUR CHURCH THEN" IN A SOUTHERN DRAWL TO "RECRUIT ME", NOT TO ASK WHAT NEIGHBORHOOD I LIVE IN/ GO TO / VISIT. THEN I GET ASKED RUDELY HOW MUCH I TEND TO TITHE. IF THAT AIN'T RECRUITMENT AND ASKING FOR MONEY, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS.

Also, Texas, the Southern state, usually also contributes more like New York. Doesn't mean I think it is right for Texans to complains about having to support the blue states of New Mexico or Maine. We are in a union, we are suppose to help each other survive and improve. Also, then there is the fact that some agendas being pushed by Democrats, such as Obamacare, would directly push states into being net receiver states, which just makes it silly then that Democrats would complain that any state is being a net receiver.

~~TEXAS...HMMM THE STATE THAT, WHEN IT DOESN'T LIKE A NEW POLICY WANTS TO "SEVER FROM THE UNION"??? TEXAS DOES VERY WELL CONTRIBUTE MORE THAN ITS NEIGHBORS, SAY LOUISIANA, WHICH TEXAS ALSO SUPPORTS.~~

It is nice that you try to end your post with a message about how we should all treat each other better after bashing an entire region, saying how they could learn from you (of course, they should change themselves to diminish their differenced from us), make assumptions about strangers (obviously your money is the TOP reason people may ask you to go to there church), make sweeping generalizations about groups you are not a part of and obviously have no intention of understanding (Southerners hate this, they love that), and trying to push your political views in such an offensive way that your only objective can logically be bragging, saying this as someone who votes blue more often than votes red. Though, if this is how you behave in person, I completely understand why you may get the feeling that all the Southerners hate the idea of you moving in to the neighborhood, for which I guess you try to chalk up to you bring from the North rather than your attitude and way of treating others.

~~ YOU HAVE DONE TO ME EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAY I AM DOING, AND YOU LACK THE PROOF I HAVE. NO, I'VE NEVER BEEN TO YOUR GREAT SOUTHERN STATE, PERHAPS IT IS DIFFERENT THAN ALABAMA, OR DEEP GEORGIA OR S CAROLINA. PERHAPS BECAUSE YOU ARE FROM THE SOUTH, YOU ARE TREATED DIFFERENTLY BY YOUR SOUTHERN COMPATRIOTS.~~~

Lastly, you may have piles of money to take with you to trips to South Carolina, but most New Yorkers don't, it sort of has to do with the issue of New York's high poverty rate thats puts it lower than that of only four Southern states, out of sixteen or thirteen, depending on what you feel about the Midatlantic states.
~~NEW YAWKERS WHO DON'T HAVE PILES AND PILES OF MONEY, DONT TEND TO VISIT THE SOUTHERN STATES. WHY?? LACK OF THE MONEY OF WHICH YOU SPEAK. ONLY NEW YAWKERS OF MEANS DO. AND I SEE YOU CONVENIENTLY LEFT OUT A CITATION AS TO YOUR "NEW YORK IS POORER THAN MOST OF THE SOUTHERN STATES." GEE I GUESS WALL STREET DOESN'T EXIST? I GUESS THE WHILE ENTIRE LOWER STATE AREA DOESN'T CONTRIBUTE TO ANYTHING IN THIS COUNTRY? SOUNDS LIKE YOU DOING EXACTLY WHAT YOU ACCUSE ME OF DOING.....LOOK WITHIN BEFORE YOU CURSE WITHOUT. NEW YORK AND CALIFORNIA, AND PERHAPS YOUR TEXAS SUPPORT A LOT OF THE GOVERNMENTS AGENDA, BOTH DEM. AND REPUB. FOR A VERY LONG TIME. IT'S NOT NEW NEWS.

OF COURSE NEW YORK HAS ITS SHARE OF POOR PEOPLE TOO. EVERY AREA DOES. BUT NEW YORK DOES.T EXACTLYHAVE A RUST BELT LIKE SOUTHERN STATES DO. AND WE CERTAINLY DON'T HAVE A BIG BIBLE BELT.~~~

~~ MY RESPONSES WERE TYPED IN CAPITALS AND SURROUNDED BY THE "~~" CHARACTER. The smart phone translation may have other ideas~~

~~YES, MY WHOLE POINT WAS TO POINT OUT DIFFERENCES, AND TO POINT OUT WHAT I LEARNED...THAT FIRST DO NO HARM. PERHAPS YOU WOULD HAVE UNDERSTOOD IT BETTER IF I'D SAID " CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG"?. THERW IS NO HARM IN POINTING OUT THE PERCEPTIONS THAT THE SPUTHERNERS HAVE GIVEN ME FOR 50 OF MY 54 YEARS ON THIS EARTH.~~~


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 04:59 AM
 
1,702 posts, read 1,362,594 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Itís 2017

Do people REALLY care anymore?
This time a year ago, I probably would've agreed but since the election, I do think in 2017 there's still a divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM
 
29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Reputation: 18426
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I also tire of blacks, colored, African Americans, or whatever they want to call themselves...
And there we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top