U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:08 AM

37,090 posts, read 45,584,713 times

Advertisements

Iím a Yankee living in the Deep South. No, they donít hate Yankees, but they do not like suggestions about the way things are done up north.
They would rather reinvent the wheel, than accept a suggestion that would fix a problem.
They also move sloooow, and do not like to be rushed, or accused of being inefficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:14 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,627,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'm a Yankee.
I also own property in Florida and will retire to a specific area in Georgia, remaining undisclosed.
These are my observances: and read thoroughly before you jump down my throat:

When I/we get to S. Carolina, Georgia or Florida, we are treated differently simply because of our license plate, and lack of a southern drawl.

I'm also a New Yawker, and the " New York minute" is true. We tend to do things/ get things done faster than southerners. Southerners are more laid back, and claim " the weather" makes them move and do things slower. Pish posh. Well we get very hot summers and still go fast. We also get bitter cold winter here upstate and, while bundled up, things done fast too.

NYC folks tend to MYOB, and don't interact with every single person they meet, upstate is similar. The South seems to want to take up your time, in a slow fashion, and "chat you up " frequently as though you have all the time in the world. Perhaps southerners could take a page from our book.

Southerners hate people passing through to another southern local, and hate it more when we move there, even for temporary winter living. They love that we bring piles and piles of money from " outside" the area/region/ state, but don't want us there. Can't have it both ways.

BLUE States like N.Y. contribute more to the government in way of taxes, that the poorer red southern states siphon off, contributing while contributing less in taxes. People in N.Y., just like taxpayers on these fora, do complain (rightfully so) about " supporting southern red states", just like taxpayers on here complain about supporting deadbeats on welfare. SAME SAME.

NYERS are also tired of being treated like a red headed step child when they do winter in southern regions, yet they financially bring funds that the southerners grab with fained indifference, then turn their backs and cuss out the "damn Yankee ". Southerners WANT that money because their wage base and tax base are so low as to not support themselves. See previous paragraph.

Politics are politics the country over. There are red voters and blue voters everywhere in this country. Predominantly red states does not mean everyone voted red, and predominantly blue does not mean must vote blue.

Southern bible voters can't stay away from asking " what church do you go to " if you are there for more than 24 hours. That in itself is a loaded question, as if you don't belong to their church, they will try to recruit you, both for your money and to "save your soul" and to bring you to THEIR THINKING, or, they will lambaste you if you don't attend their form of religion if you don't believe in organized religion, such as myself ( my opinions drastically changed after having died, been clinically certified dead, and shocked back to life in the late 90s, so I've been there done that, and I know some answers some only think or assume they know...and no,don't ask me for disclosing my experience, you'll find out some answers when it happens to you). I find it distressing to have a bible thrust my way with a "my church is right, you are wrong " attitude over any issue.

Last I knew, this was free country, where people could travel and live and vote anywhere they wanted, but yankee/ southern divicesiveness abounds.

I also tire of blacks, colored, African Americans, or whatever they want to call themselves feeling they are " owed something " for past centuries ago slavery. ( and why is I can be " white" all day long, but blacks have to be African American???? I'm European/Scandinavian/Celtic American, must I use that mouthful to describe myself????). My family in the northern free state's did not own slaves!!! Nor did my mid-southern ancestors!!!! I was borm here, in the midwest, and as American as a black georgia born american is.

First, do no harm, To fellow humankind. ( there I disclosed one answer I received on the day of my death).
Too many insist on doing harm to others all in the name of god, country, race, religion, region, in an attempt to prove they are "right"!

I believe we are ALL USA American citizens, and need to or deserve to treat each better, regardless of our differences.

May the superior energy source of the universe help us if we continue to devide ourselves in any way. ( durn it, another disclosure from my death)

After you retire and move to Georgia, if you get invited to go on a Snipe hunt with a few of the locals, donít turn it down. You will havea barrel of fun.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,440,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Iím a Yankee living in the Deep South. No, they donít hate Yankees, but they do not like suggestions about the way things are done up north.
They would rather reinvent the wheel, than accept a suggestion that would fix a problem.
They also move sloooow, and do not like to be rushed, or accused of being inefficient.
There's a bit of a "live and let live" mentality in the South. For the most part, Southerners don't mind the transplants too much, as long as they mind their own business and steer clear of bringing up Northern/liberal politics (yes, I know that Northern and liberal aren't necessarily mutually inclusive).

Northerners who move South, and willingly accept the Southern lifestyle, are generally treated much like family.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:42 AM

3,968 posts, read 3,631,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No. People down south don't dislike northerners in general, they dislike when northerners move down south and basically turn their area blue/purple, and raise taxes, which is the simple way of putting it.

Because apparently southerners can't and don't vote blue or split, and apparently southerners are opposed to all tax raises to fund services, while northerners can't be in support of any tax decreases. And apparently everyone who comes from the north is blue and wants to bring their politics.

Gotta love that simplistic way of thinking.
Don't you though?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 AM

425 posts, read 292,642 times
I don't think "hate" is the correct word, but I think there is some tension between Southerners and Yankees ( I actually dislike that word), and mainly has to do with politics and religious beliefs. I am a native Northerner and moved to the South, if you actually consider Kentucky Southern (I think it is half Southern/half Midwestern), and I have met many friendly, motivated and great people at work and out and about, but I have also met many who give me the cold shoulder after finding out I am from Ohio. I sometimes laugh when this happens because Kentucky is not too far from or that much different than a lot of Ohio, but the Civil War is still alive and well for some people.

On the other hand, I have seen and know many Northerners with cold attitudes and stereotypes about the South and they make those thoughts known, which is also a reason some Southerners dislike Northerners. Overall, I stay in the city, so there are many diverse people and this North vs. South thing is not prevalent, but once you get into some smaller towns and rural areas, there is a bit of a North vs. South thing going on. All of this anecdotal and just some of my basic observations and experiences.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
After you retire and move to Georgia, if you get invited to go on a Snipe hunt with a few of the locals, don’t turn it down. You will havea barrel of fun.
I don't have to be in the south to go on a snipe hunt.

Northerners go on snipe hunts too. IF fact we have organizations that organize major snipe hunts. NO gun or bow and arrows needed.

And you're right, it's a barrel of monkeys and loads of fun. Perhaps I'll invite you to the next northern one and you can compare to see of we northerners "do it right".

Oh, and bring along your BIBLE. I hear it's a great story book.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:18 AM

4,431 posts, read 2,605,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I don't think "hate" is the correct word, but I think there is some tension between Southerners and Yankees ( I actually dislike that word), and mainly has to do with politics and religious beliefs. I am a native Northerner and moved to the South....

....but I have also met many who give me the cold shoulder after finding out I am from Ohio....

....but the Civil War is still alive and well for some people.

.....All of this anecdotal and just some of my basic observations and experiences.
Exactly.

....Politics and religion, always a " mine is better/ right, yours is wrong proposition.

...so much for "sputhern hospitality " when you get the cold shoulder just based on which hemisphere you are from.

....yep, for many the civil war is still going on, it was 2 century segments ago, time to move into the 21st century segment, and not stay in the 19th century segment.

....my observations and experiences too. AND I wonder if someone will jump down your throat like they did mine, too??

....i wonder how long I will have to be in the south when I permanently retire there to lose my "yankeeness" and gain the "southern graces" to be " southern"? Or will I have always " invaded their territory"?

First do no harm, actually the bible says that, too.

We are ALL AMERICANS IF we were born on USA soil, regardless of race, religion, region, ancestry, etc.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 10-20-2017 at 08:28 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 745,973 times
The only place I was ever actually called a Yankee was Atlanta. They seemed to have the biggest problem with people from the north. People in Austin never cared, they were too friendly and laid back to get mad about anything it seemed. I have yet to be labeled as a Yankee here in Raleigh either.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
...so much for "sputhern hospitality " when you get the cold shoulder just based on which hemisphere you are from.
You think the Southern U.S. is in a different hemisphere than the Northern U.S.?

Quote:
First do no harm, actually the bible says that, too.
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
The only place I was ever actually called a Yankee was Atlanta. They seemed to have the biggest problem with people from the north.
LOL, Atlanta is overrun with transplants from the North; it's absolutely laughable to say Atlanta has "the biggest problem" with Northerners.

And much of the "Yankee" talk is just ribbing. I use the term in jest sometimes myself.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:35 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
I only dislike (as in avoid, not hate) those who work so hard at being the caricature of one region or the other. It's embarrassing to see people make fools of themselves. At a Midwestern company, we once hired a young woman from Georgia who was bright, talented, and well educated but had an exaggerated southern-ness. She seriously wanted to be called "Peaches" (As in "Everyone calls me Peaches" when being introduced). She did not make a good impression or many friends. "Junior League on steroids" was the verdict of some coworkers who had lived in the south (I had to go look up Junior League). She was a fish out of water and did not last very long. In my capacity as a government program manager I occasionally encountered job applicants from places like Wisconsin, Ohio, or Nebraska who thought it was their life mission to save the bumpkins from "down there" -- meaning us. That didn't go over well.

I was born in the late '40s and raised in a border state and would get the 'Yankee treatment' and the 'Southern treatment' anywhere I went. Being called a "Yankee" was sort of a shock. I went to college in a small town that worked 24/7 trying to preserve its "Southern heritage" -- it was not always a pretty sight. Blacks were not well respected in that area. I've not encountered such a determined civic effort in the north except for small towns trying to resemble the appearance of quaint New England towns or villages -- Americana with a grain elevator. It's a little bit silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or