U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 05:25 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It means, I could give a ****, because Im getting paid anyway, and pass the fried chicken. It also means the movers and shakers will keep kicking the ball down the field, without ever making a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
If you have a job, you have to be at work at a certain time and stay until a certain time, and you have things that you have to get done by a certain time, regardless of where you live. So it is self evident that there isn't a slower pace of life in the south if you work.

Many people who work also have kids so there is a lot of time spent doing stuff for the kids. I don't understand how people in the south could have less to do than people in the north.
This is why I get annoyed when people take slow pace of life too literally. Even in small towns and even in the South, people have **** to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I also tire of blacks, colored, African Americans, or whatever they want to call themselves feeling they are " owed something " for past centuries ago slavery.
As a white Southerner I find this extremely divisive, ignorant and offensive.

This South is absolutely the wrong place for your retirement, you need to rethink your plans.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Well, I guess I hate Yankee cornbread, tastes like cake. Gimme good ol' unsweetened cornbread.
We have that, too. You aren't getting cornmeal cake at the BBQ place. At least not the real BBQ place. And diners in Southern New Jersey have grits on the menu. I have no idea why. I first noticed this when having breakfast with my nephew at the Palace Diner years ago. "You eat grits?" He picked up that habit when he used to visit his college friends family in West Virginia. Why were they eating grits?

I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I'm not a Yankee.

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Connecticut - 1769 The Pennamite Wars

'< That's the one I didn't use.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,880,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
This is why I get annoyed when people take slow pace of life too literally. Even in small towns and even in the South, people have **** to do.
You are the one taking it too literal. Obviously people have stuff to do everywhere. The south isnt literally slower - Texas has 80 mph highways - but its known that generally, we have a more relaxed mindset.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:17 PM

5,287 posts, read 3,505,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
We have that, too. You aren't getting cornmeal cake at the BBQ place. At least not the real BBQ place. And diners in Southern New Jersey have grits on the menu. I have no idea why. I first noticed this when having breakfast with my nephew at the Palace Diner years ago. "You eat grits?" He picked up that habit when he used to visit his college friends family in West Virginia. Why were they eating grits?

I grew up in Pennsylvania, so I'm not a Yankee.

The Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Connecticut - 1769 The Pennamite Wars

'< That's the one I didn't use.
You do realize that grits and polenta are the exact same thing?

Grits are generally white cornmeal, polenta is generally yellow. They cook the same and taste the same.

The only difference is that one happens to be derided and ridiculed, while the other is celebrated.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 639,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I think to New Englanders a Yankee is a baseball player or a pot roast.
To a New Englander, a Yankee is someone who lives in a rural area, is descended from colonial British settlers, puts relish on their hotdogs and generally comes across as aloof and distant. More often than not, the term "Yankee" is prefixed with the adjective, "old." Towns like Voluntown, CT are where "old Yankees" live.

Old 10-22-2017, 03:43 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
There are some old codgers and indoctrinated young people who harbor ill will towards one-another based on state of origin, but it is mostly a non issue nowadays.

The real problem that persists is ignorance. There are many southerners who have no concept of what the north is actually like, and the same goes for the other way around too.

You know, people from the south who think all northerners are wealthy and urban and there's no such thing as country up north; as well as northerners who are genuinely surprised that rural Alabama has electricity. That kind of thing. It's not hatred really so much as good old fashioned American ignorance.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:43 AM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
I guarantee you nobody in the south thinks everybody up north is wealthy.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:59 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,732,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I guarantee you nobody in the south thinks everybody up north is wealthy.
I can argue that. Anecdotal, sure, but I can argue that.

You might be surprised how often I heard "poverty isn't real in the north" or something similar when I lived in Louisiana.

I grew up poor, and I mean POOR, in NY state. How many southerners do you think believed my past when it came up? Not many. I had to go so far as to photograph the "house" I grew up in so I'd have evidence that NY isn't full of mansions and golden streets, dude.

Never, and I mean NEVER underestimate human stupidity. It'll only make you sad when you encounter it. Best accept that people really can be that dumb and get used to it, because they get even worse.

Old 10-22-2017, 12:51 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Most poor people live in the inner cities. Do you really think southerners don't know there are poor areas in NYC and other cities up north?

A ton of people from NY and NJ move down here because property taxes and cost of living are much lower.

Many movies and tv shows based in the north depict characters that live in poor high crime areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or