U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Most poor people live in the inner cities. Do you really think southerners don't know there are poor areas in NYC and other cities up north?

A ton of people from NY and NJ move down here because property taxes and cost of living are much lower.

Many movies and tv shows based in the north depict characters that live in poor high crime areas.
You aren't paying attention. I will stop speaking to you now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
It's just that northerners come down here, try to tell us how to run the show and go on about how things aren't like up north. We must be doing something right because they keep moving down here.
True

Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You aren't paying attention. I will stop speaking to you now.
Ok. I did pay attention...that is why I disagreed with you. I don't think there is any evidence that a significant number of people in the south think there is no poverty up north.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 10-22-2017 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2017, 09:41 PM

2,384 posts, read 908,448 times
Every time we travel down south I'm always reminded that I'm a Yankee. Don't bother me none though to be honest. We did win the war anyhow lol

Old 10-22-2017, 09:42 PM

I've rarely seen or heard the word Yankee in my 40 years in the south, outside of this forum, except in reference to the baseball team. The times I heard it it was used in a humorous way.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM

23,546 posts, read 17,535,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Most poor people live in the inner cities. Do you really think southerners don't know there are poor areas in NYC and other cities up north?

A ton of people from NY and NJ move down here because property taxes and cost of living are much lower.

Many movies and tv shows based in the north depict characters that live in poor high crime areas.
In general, NY/NJ are wealthier places overall than Southern states. That's not to say there aren't people in poverty there, but it's generally not as widespread and the "lows aren't generally as low" as in the South.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:51 AM

1,266 posts, read 746,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, Atlanta is overrun with transplants from the North; it's absolutely laughable to say Atlanta has "the biggest problem" with Northerners.
Certainly does have a lot of people from the north. I'm just speaking from personal experience. That's the only city I've lived in in the South where I continuously was reminded I was a Yankee.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
In general, NY/NJ are wealthier places overall than Southern states. That's not to say there aren't people in poverty there, but it's generally not as widespread and the "lows aren't generally as low" as in the South.
There are actually more poor people in number in each of those states than a less populated southern state because there are more people overall. Cost of living and property taxes are also much higher up there, which is why so many northerners move down south.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 AM

8,717 posts, read 7,669,607 times
I hate yanks and I live in New England.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:34 AM

774 posts, read 1,695,734 times
I wonder what definition of Yankee we're talking about. I always thought a Yankee referred to anyone from the Northeast or Midwest as those, to my understanding, are the two regions that make up the North and were where the Union stated in the Civil War were. Now that I've heard a lot of discussion on this topic, it appears that this definition is sometimes the case, but for the most part, Yankee refers to those from the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or