U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 08:00 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,201,781 times

Advertisements

I was born in the north, and have spent most of my life in the south. I hate neither northerners or Southerners, but I do have issues with some aspects of southern culture, primarily the continued acceptance of the dimunition of human life, whether it be slavery, death penalty, "stand your ground," or "castle doctrine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM

5,662 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
How much of southern "wealth" was based on theft of another human being's lifetime of labor.

Entirely irrelevant. The mere quantification of wealthy persons, Northern vs. Southern, has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of how any of them obtained their wealth.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:41 AM

1,593 posts, read 833,415 times
Southerners can hate the Yankee's all they want but they'll still have a $200 million payroll and probably be a top team in the league. And I say this as a Red Sox Fan.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I was born in the north, and have spent most of my life in the south. I hate neither northerners or Southerners, but I do have issues with some aspects of southern culture, primarily the continued acceptance of the dimunition of human life, whether it be slavery, death penalty, "stand your ground," or "castle doctrine."
At the risk of veering off-topic into politics, I will say that you have hit upon something that still does divide Northerners and Southerners (as groups), arguments over which may cause some animosity between them. Ignoring slavery, because that was in the past, today's Southern norms do not see the death penalty, "stand your ground," or "castle doctrine" as the diminution of human life; they see these things as affirmations that the lives of the innocent take precedence over the lives of the guilty.

To the extent that Southerners feel that Northerners are trying to eliminate these things, through such means as having the Congress outlaw them or the Courts overturn them, this would cause Southerners to dislike Northerners. And to the extent that Northerners see these things as being diminutions of human life, this would cause Northerners to look down on Southerners.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Southerners can hate the Yankee's all they want but they'll still have a $200 million payroll and probably be a top team in the league. And I say this as a Red Sox Fan.

It's not just Southerners. Hatred of those Yankees is one of the few things that still unites as all as Americans (New Yorkers excluded).

Old 12-13-2018, 09:57 AM

18,509 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I'd hear stories from my father who is from Ohio. He'd tell about his times in the Army in the South in the 1960s-1970s. He mentioned the "good old boys" who didn't like Yankees, especially small-town Southern police officers.

I grew up in Louisiana, and I live in Texas now. I consider myself a Southerner because I spent most of my life in the South. I haven't noticed any prejudice from Southerners to Yankees during all those times I lived here.

Is the hatred still there, but not as bad as it was then?
There's certainly a few people fro both areas that have an anti-the other attitude but most people react to how they're treated. If you're helpful and friendly and you're a northerner in the South or Southerner in the north, you'll be well received.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:18 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
Quote:
37 percent of the population is not "cherry picking."

How much of southern "wealth" was based on theft of another human being's lifetime of labor.
You're changing the dang subject, maaaaaaan. Get your politics out of my face, please.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:25 AM

567 posts, read 329,364 times
Quote:

...and how much wealth generated in the north was based on the raw materials imported from the south? Enough that the mayor of NY wrote Albany in favor of secession just before the civil war began.

At any rate...VA has a pretty significant number of former northerners at this point. Except for the more isolated parts of the state I'd have a hard time believing anyone cares too much.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:00 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,201,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Entirely irrelevant. The mere quantification of wealthy persons, Northern vs. Southern, has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of how any of them obtained their wealth.
That's a fair criticism of my specific statement, as far as it goes.

Last edited by RocketSci; 12-13-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 03:39 PM

5,217 posts, read 3,633,703 times
Quote:
That's a fair criticism of my specific statement, as far as it goes.
We welcome yankees. Come on down, spend your money and leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or