Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 07:10 PM

924 posts, read 751,852 times

Advertisements

I remember getting some really ignorant questions/comments about Arizona.....this being from people whom I talked to online.

Mostly it was people assuming I was a cowgirl and lived on a ranch, other times I would get asked if I was tanned, played golf, and went around half-naked because of the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've actually never thought of LA by either extreme, I've assumed it was just like any other big city with everything from rough neighborhoods to swanky neighborhoods.

I think what might surprise people, from the East Coast at least, is how suburban much of the city is.
As an East Coaster myself, I always thought of LA as a land extremes one side being glitz and glamour while the other being very gang-foucsed. Hip-Hop, movies and the mainstream media gives you that perception of LA. California was always the state people moved to get away from the rules and traditions back east.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:34 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
NYC is one big Manhattan until they get to The Bronx

Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC is one big Manhattan until they get to The Bronx
This is the first thing that came to mind. Brooklyn would be the countries fourth largest city in its own right, yet the vast majority of this country thinks NYC is exclusively Manhattan.

Based on media and reputation, Boston is either intellects who drink espresso martinis in cardigans, or drunk Irish guys with calf tattoos. Both exist, but it’s many other things including a fairly diverse population.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:59 AM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
For me, absolutely, but in a peculiar way. Hearing indie music from a certain area really shapes an emotional image for that place. The city comes alive in my mind, akin to a music video, and I see the streets how the artist does through their lyrics. The end result is me obsessing over certain cities with rose-tinted goggles, and shunning others who don't have much music I've experienced or liked.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:16 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,443,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
For me, absolutely, but in a peculiar way. Hearing indie music from a certain area really shapes an emotional image for that place. The city comes alive in my mind, akin to a music video, and I see the streets how the artist does through their lyrics. The end result is me obsessing over certain cities with rose-tinted goggles, and shunning others who don't have much music I've experienced or liked.
Care to elaborate. Which cities are you referring to?

Old 09-30-2018, 12:48 AM

481 posts, read 422,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Care to elaborate. Which cities are you referring to?
Portland's music scene has been enchanting me for quite a while now. After listening and absorbing so much music from there, my mind maps out an imaginary atmosphere of the place. I see the ostensibly care free (maybe tinged with a slight nostalgia) wander the streets or recline on their porches, their minds drift several feet above them. The murals are in bright but 5-year-old faded colors. There is a spritely, chippy hope that arises from the rustic dawn.

It sounds weird of course, but a relatable, random example I could give is of, say, noir-esque jazz from Chicago. Listen to enough of it, and you may start to picture Chicago in your mind with a modern noir atmosphere.

Of course, this is neither an accurate nor healthy way to view a city. Hearing a few songs and imagining it only shows you a tiny fraction of its whole. For me, it's escapism. It is nice to imagine these places, but also saddening when the dream grinds against reality. Hearing a city's music does make me interested in living there though. I can't care much for places I don't hear from.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:42 AM

1,094 posts, read 808,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
This is the first thing that came to mind. Brooklyn would be the countries fourth largest city in its own right, yet the vast majority of this country thinks NYC is exclusively Manhattan.

Based on media and reputation, Boston is either intellects who drink espresso martinis in cardigans, or drunk Irish guys with calf tattoos. Both exist, but it’s many other things including a fairly diverse population.
Brooklyn is pretty well known these days thanks to the hipster movement, genterfication, hip-hop, and the Barcley Center.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:52 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
"I never been there but I've heard" is what most people say when they haven't experienced something for themselves. Cities are no different there some people who do or don't visit certain cities based on hearsay. I feel that media and social media can play a huge factor in shaping people's view of certain cities. Is it true that media and/or social media help shape people's perception of cities? Why or why not?

Of course. This is why cities have marketing budgets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.