U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 03:35 PM

3,146 posts, read 2,849,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
3. Pittsburgh, PA: There are plenty of manufacturing jobs. I've heard public transportation is decent even though we have a car. Rent prices are affordable. It's the closest to NY if we want to visit family or friends. I don't think I would be a fan of the weather though.
This is 2017 not 1977.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 04:08 PM

3,120 posts, read 2,164,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
If the Denver area isn't elitist (note that I said "front range" and you used Colorado) then I don't know of an area that is. I live and work here, and all I see are moderately wealthy, mostly White people, skiing/mountain biking/eating in expensive restaurants. Not elitist? Tell me where those free family actiivities are? Sorry, but all I see is Cherry Creek everywhere I look. The name of the neighborhood may change, but the people don't.

All right then, Front Range. Perhaps your world is so limited that all you see are moderately wealthy white people skiing, biking, and eating in boutique cafes in Denver. I'm surprised you left out craft breweries and distilleries. I see all that on occasion. More often though, I see a large manufacturing base working in machine shops, welding shops, finishing shops, electronics assembly, mil-spec board assembly & testing. From Fort Collins to Pueblo, there are companies out there with workers making $10-30 an hour providing goods, assemblies, services, deliveries, etc. I see school districts who have finally acknowledged that the college route is not for everyone and they are partnering with manufacturers to developed programs to fill gaps in skilled labor forces. I see military families who integrate into communities to develop support systems while dealing with deployed family members. I see people moving here from all over the country to enjoy living in one of the fittest states in the nation, even if that outdoor fitness activity only means tying on a pair of running shoes to hit a local trail or buying a fishing license to teach a child about angling. I see a number of international expats who bring bits of their culture here and open shops and restaurants to share it with others. County Fairs, city celebrations, rodeos, auto racing, road trip exploration of the area, there are numerous activities out there that are far from elitist or even expensive. The Front Range is occupied by a diverse workforce living lives in many more different ways than you make it out to be.

At the risk of derailing the original post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
Well my husband has worked for manufacturing in the hospitality art industry by making frames and cutting glass. He's also done some assembly work involving wire rope isolators for military equipment.
Okay, that sounds a little more artsy than nuts and bolts manufacturing, although the rope isolators may be more traditional assembly. Skills in welding, machining, press brake, laser, painting or powder coating certainly make it easier to slide into the manufacturing world, but it still isn't impossible. Familiarity with mil-spec requirements, ISO9000, or AS9100 means he can translate prior assembly work into something here. If he is a veteran, check out Blackfox Training Groups board soldering program. There is a shortage of those workers in the Denver area. The area from Ft Collins to Boulder is full of technology manufacturing companies. Denver is full of aerospace companies. Colo Spgs has high tech chip manufacturing to metal fab to aerospace. Pueblo has basic steel work to complex wind turbine and air condition assembly and much more.

Don't write off Colorado yet. While we do not have a beach and are limited in water sports, and careful selection of the city is necessary to avoid the over-extension you have in NY, it can still be done. Instead of beaches, we have mountains. Our weather is mild most of time, we get multiple seasons, and we are growing.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM

124 posts, read 208,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Mormon mom View Post
Hi! This is in response to choices of cities to include SLC. Just upfront know that SLC is NOT a cheap place to live in, albeit cheaper than say NYC, Chicago & other big metro areas. That is, if you want a safe decent neighborhood. Also, I would not suggest raising kids here. I live north of SLC & it is safe, but trust me you and your kids will not "fit in" unless you're Mormon, or LDS. They will not exclude you per se but IMHO you will feel an outsider to some extent. Also there is 0 night life or diversity unless you move to the city like to a neighborhood like Sugar House, which is expensive! I have lived in Chicago area, Seattle area & other places & I would never recommend SLC, at least not northern "suburbs." Utah schools are also not great. I can literally think of 5 other places off the top of my head to live. I am speaking from a different demographic it sounds like, but trust me I have Mormon friends from out-of -state that also don't feel they "fit in." As for kids my kids have not made many good friends after 2 years and they are friendly & loving children. I could go on but bottom line is I would not recommend Utah to anyone. We are planning to move out asap. Now don't get me wrong, Mormons are "friendly," but this is a surface friendly that is learned. Trust me I have native Utah LDS/Mormons to back me up on this. If you are Mormon and from Utah this is your place. Otherwise just don't do it. Good luck!! There are waay better & now diverse areas out there. Just wanting to save some heartache & disappointment. Also on a side note, there is a lot of chemical & drug abuse out here. As a Mom it is scary because as most of us know, kids who don't " fit in" may look elsewhere for entertainment. Also high percentage of mental health issues. Lots of people come here because it's "safe" but it's not 100 percent accurate.
Oh come on some of what you say is true but you also moved into a northern suburb. As an openly gay 26 year old married man who lives in Salt Lake City I can say you shouldn't right off SLC because of one person who chose to live in probably Bountiful. If you move into the city you may have a positive experience. I live in Sugarhouse and anywhere from here to downtown are nice walkable neighborhoods with great coffee shops, restaurants, and bars. There are over 100 bars in downtown and it's become much more lively the past 10 years. Then when I want to get out of the city I go to 7 world class ski resorts within 40 minutes and 5 national parks within 4 hours. There is camping within 30 minutes that anyone in the eastern half of the country would love to have. I lived in Chicago for 2 years and there is a reason I moved back to SLC. It gives such a great balance of city and nature that you can only find in a handful of cities.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:04 PM

124 posts, read 208,667 times
Talking to the OP I love SLC and I would recommend to live here, no I haven't lived in the other cities you have listed, but I thoroughly enjoy my time here and am not mormon.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 PM

21,977 posts, read 22,255,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Mormon mom View Post
Hi! This is in response to choices of cities to include SLC. Just upfront know that SLC is NOT a cheap place to live in, albeit cheaper than say NYC, Chicago & other big metro areas. That is, if you want a safe decent neighborhood. Also, I would not suggest raising kids here. I live north of SLC & it is safe, but trust me you and your kids will not "fit in" unless you're Mormon, or LDS. They will not exclude you per se but IMHO you will feel an outsider to some extent. Also there is 0 night life or diversity unless you move to the city like to a neighborhood like Sugar House, which is expensive! I have lived in Chicago area, Seattle area & other places & I would never recommend SLC, at least not northern "suburbs." Utah schools are also not great. I can literally think of 5 other places off the top of my head to live. I am speaking from a different demographic it sounds like, but trust me I have Mormon friends from out-of -state that also don't feel they "fit in." As for kids my kids have not made many good friends after 2 years and they are friendly & loving children. I could go on but bottom line is I would not recommend Utah to anyone. We are planning to move out asap. Now don't get me wrong, Mormons are "friendly," but this is a surface friendly that is learned. Trust me I have native Utah LDS/Mormons to back me up on this. If you are Mormon and from Utah this is your place. Otherwise just don't do it. Good luck!! There are waay better & now diverse areas out there. Just wanting to save some heartache & disappointment. Also on a side note, there is a lot of chemical & drug abuse out here. As a Mom it is scary because as most of us know, kids who don't " fit in" may look elsewhere for entertainment. Also high percentage of mental health issues. Lots of people come here because it's "safe" but it's not 100 percent accurate.
Offhand, I'd say that someone whose user name is based on specifying the religion she is not a part of probably has a very narrow agenda on this forum. Sorry your experience in Salt Lake City wasn't good, "Non Mormon Mom." Plenty of non-LDS transplants to Salt Lake City have shared their insights over on the Salt Lake City forum, and for the most part, they bear little resemblance to yours.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:50 PM

10,569 posts, read 13,191,745 times
PA or CO.

I hate the rest of the choices.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM

3,120 posts, read 2,164,187 times
Left field suggestion, Omaha Nebraska. 400k population in the city, 900k in the metro area, strong manufacturing segment, strong and diverse business and service segments. Omaha rates 8th within the top 50 of large cities with per-capita billionaires and Fortune 500 companies.

The home for companies such a Berkshire-Hathaway, Con-Agra Foods, Union Pacific RR, Mutual of Omaha, Gallup Organization, TD Ameritrade and more. Largest employers are US Air Force, healthcare, education, manufacturing, finance.

Typically warm during summer months, it does have winters with snow and averages 70% humidity.

5hrs from Omaha is Lake McConaughy with over 100 miles of white sand beach shoreline. A dozen other lakes with smaller sandy beaches are available within a couple hours within Nebraska and Iowa. Since the city is on the confluence of the Platte and Missouri Rivers, there is abundant water in the area.

Last edited by TCHP; 10-20-2017 at 07:43 AM..

Old 10-20-2017, 07:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 793,390 times
I would look into Greenville, SC. Warm weather, Manufacturing HQ of the US, affordable, younger demo, lots of outdoor activities. Makes more sense than anything on your list.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:06 AM

21 posts, read 17,389 times
Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I never thought of Omaha, but I'll keep it as an option. Hate to see all the negativity surrounding these other places. Anyway, for now my husband is trying to get his old job back in NC. We both talked about it and it ended up being our best option instead of starting from scratch all over again. His boss is in the process of talks with corporate, so we'll see how that plays out. If they end up saying they can't hire him back then we'll look into the other options.

Last edited by thedelight21; 10-21-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 AM

1,028 posts, read 656,069 times
If you spend a long weekend in Indianapolis, you will do and see everything worthwhile that there is to be done or seen in the metro area. On the bright side, Indy is very American in feel and has excellent infrastructure, including an amazing airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or