U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:21 PM

3,564 posts, read 1,516,044 times

Advertisements

Do you plan to buy a home in the future rather than just continually renting? If you went back to NC (specifically Charlotte), jobs in finance are great and there are good manufacturing jobs there. Pay is good, cost of living good. Great weather. Great people.

Of the areas you listed, I like: Orlando: A surprisingly good finance sector that you don't hear a lot about. Very beautiful and lush. A lot to do and a good area to raise a family, IMO. Affordable. Tampa: A lot of the same as Orlando. A little bigger metro and terrific beaches. Pittsburgh: IMO, one of the most underrated metros in the nation. A lot to offer. They don't have the job growth and climate of Dallas, Charlotte, or Atlanta, but it's a hidden gem for sure.

Denver has become very expensive and will continue to do so. SLC is great, but it's cost of living is attempting to catch up with Denver's.

Indy is good too, and I'd throw in Cincy. But the above mentioned (Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa, and Pittsburgh) are the ones that really jump out at me. All great areas. Good luck wherever you land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
Hi there. I'm not a SLC resident, but I looked very extensively into Utah while considering a place to move, so I'll see if I can help.

I've visited Utah, staying with family in the very southwest corner, to the west of St. George, not far from the Arizona border. They did say that due to the liquor laws in Utah (and sometimes having to drive to find a place that sells alcohol), they prefer to drive into Arizona to stock up on wine / liquor. There is a large Mormon presence throughout the state, and I believe their conservative moral / family values play a large role in the generally strict alcohol policies, as well as a law (in some places at least) that mandates businesses be closed on Sundays. I've heard that the people in this state are some of the nicest there are, and that plenty of non-LDS people feel right at home and never feel pressured about their differences in faith.

What I found most amazing about the state was that we were surrounded by desert terrain but then we'd find ourselves swimming in a lake on a red-sand beach and next day hiking through trees, rivers and bamboo grass! Salt Lake City is a few hours north of where I visited, and up there it does get quite cold, and gets plenty of snow. It's near some great ski destinations. Ogden, which is just a little north of SLC, is rated one of the best places for families in the nation. The entire state is full of beautiful national & state parks and has one of the healthiest populations.

Other than hiking, skiing and other outdoorsy stuff, there seems to be quite a lot to do in SLC. Here's a site with more info: https://www.visitsaltlake.com/
Terrific assessment. I agree!

Old 11-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
Thanks for the input. It looks like we'll be leaning more towards Orlando to move.
Orlando would be a great choice. Even looking at it as a non tourist (even though we love the theme parks there, lol), we really love the area.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,886,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedelight21 View Post
<>
5. Salt Lake City, Utah: Rent is reasonable. There are plenty of jobs, but I don't really know much about things to do. I've heard certain laws are somewhat strict.
<>
I have been to SLC several times on business and ski trips. It is lovely but stark, in a dry sun-baked sort of way. It's not the desert, but still it's the west.
I had a toolmaker friend who moved out there for work and he thought highly of the capabilities of the company and his coworkers. He was a hunter and fisherman back in PA and could talk with the guys about it at work but never got invited on a hunt or trip in Utah.
His wife had absolutely no social life. You can't even invite a neighbor over for a cup of coffee or a Coke, right?
The Mormon citizens are warm and friendly, but don't look to get into the community unless you get into the church.
And yes, there are non-Mormons. There were many English and Welsh brought in as miners, and Midwesterners brought it as servants.
I've been told that some of the ski towns are more open, but Park City is touron territory and expensive.
Liquor laws are not what they used to be, but it is still somewhat restrictive as far as drinking in restaurants. See wiki if it matters to you.
I'd move there for the skiing if I could still ski, but I'd choose someplace else to make a new life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or