U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 AM

406 posts, read 288,482 times

Advertisements

Graduating soon with a degree in healthcare admin, and am considering going to school and moving to one of these cities:

Virginia Beach
Charlotte
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Phoenix
Kansas City
Cincinnati
San Diego
Houston

About me:
1500/month budget for an apartment, HATE cold weather but from NY so I can somewhat deal with it, have family near most of these cities, and do not mind year round hot weather.

Any opinions are welcome!

Last edited by tman7117; 10-17-2017 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,437,888 times
Budget too low for San Diego.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:42 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,969,122 times
$1500/month is all-in?
What will you be going to school for and how expensive is it?

What else do you care about? Seems like given your limited criteria, the south will be most suitable for your weather preference. Unless housing budget alone is $1500 don't think there's any way to make SD work.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:47 AM

10,829 posts, read 15,132,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Graduating soon with a degree in healthcare admin, and am considering going to school and moving to one of these cities:

Virginia Beach
Charlotte
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Phoenix
Kansas City
Cincinnati
San Diego
Houston

About me:
1500/month budget for an apartment, HATE cold weather but from NY so I can somewhat deal with it, have family near most of these cities, and do not mind year round hot weather.

Raleigh/Durham area of NC
Charlotte NC
Winston-Salem, NC
Ashseville, NC

NC has several hubs of excellent healthcare, lower cost of living, and the above are always expanding.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:11 AM

1,272 posts, read 749,287 times
Go to one of the Florida cities if you don't mind year round hot weather. You'll certainly never have cold weather (cold by NY standards). And there's no state income tax getting deducted from your paycheck.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:25 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

Virginia Beach
Charlotte
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Phoenix
Kansas City
Cincinnati
San Diego
Houston

About me:

If you're planning on graduate school you'll want a city with a low cost of living and some quality exposure to top-tier hospitals. In my opinion Houston, Atlanta or Jacksonville would be the better fits if balancing cost of living with education and climate.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM

212 posts, read 141,837 times
I'm confused as to why the Graduate School is not your main focus?

I have a graduate degree myself.

To me the school I attended would be the main decision and the job/life area would come after that.

It's not necessary to live forever where you go to graduate school.

The cost of the school, the reputation, the programs for graduate assistance, student housing/local apartments.

Are you talking about a 2 year Masters program? Or something longer?

Are you planning to work and go to school at night? If it's just a general business degree I suppose you could get it most anywhere, although some degrees are worth more than others.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM

24 posts, read 13,580 times
I live in Phoenix, AZ. I would not come here, I've regretted it since I moved here 3 years ago and want to get out soon but don't know where. Most of the people here are the rudest I've ever seen in my life! To answer some of you're questions. You may not mind hot weather but here it takes it to another level, it really does get to 120 degrees or higher and we are normally in the 80's right now but we are still in the 100's! I would recommend coming here in the summer to see if you can handle it. The hospitals aren't that great here either. Also, there isn't a lot to do here especially in the summer because most people are inside if they aren't working or going to school. This is just my advice to you, but it is up to you to make the choice. I wish you the best in you're decision.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:22 AM

998 posts, read 882,637 times
Virginia Beach....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or