Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
LOL Illinois has stronger economy/gdp than Arizona and Chicago GDP is much much larger than Phoenix. Phoenix weather is horrible who want be in 105 degree weather almost 6 months of year at least Chicago has 4 seasons. Both cities suffer from crime in certain areas in city.
What's so good about "4 Seasons"? I grew up in a 4 season climate and hated it, left as soon as I could. I don't do snow or cold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Chicago all the way. Love the midwest! Four distinct seasons, awesome city/culture, plenty of water, real people, real food, great sports city, green lush lawns, lots of trees/forest preserves, lots of farmland in the far west burbs, yada, yada!

I'm in the far west burbs if you need any assistance/info out here.
What does this mean lol, have I been eating holograms and living in a computer simulation?

Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossifier2017 View Post
Yes both these cities are very different are nowhere near each other, at least a 4 and a half hour flight away. Phoenix is obviously much warmer and sunnier because it is in the desert, getting summer highs of 104 and lows of around 85 with winter in Phoenix getting highs of around 66 and lows of around 45. Chicago is a lot colder, especially in winter, with summer days being about 85 and summer lows around 70, Chicago winter days are usually almost always below freezing with highs around 30 and lows around 16. Both cities have high crime rates, African American gangs dominate Chicago, whereas Hispanic gangs dominate Phoenix, however Chicago is a lot more dangerous than Phoenix is. City wise, both cities have pretty skylines and nice tall skyscrapers but Chicago is clearly a lot better, Phoenix is the 5th or 6th largest US city with over 1 million people but Chicago has almost 3 million in the city alone, not including surrounding areas, as it is the 3rd largest US city after LA and NYC. You mentioned wanting to settle west of Chicago as opposed to a closer suburb, obviously for the crime reason, I have family in Aurora, Naperville and in Schaumburg, IL all west of Chicago and the crime is still there, but much much lower than in the city. Also Chicago gets a ton of snow in the winter, one year I visited it was like -5 F and like 6 feet of snow, I couldn't catch a flight back to NYC for another 2 weeks! But yeah if you prefer the heat and sunshine then go to Phoenix, if you prefer all 4 seasons, hot cold, sunny, cloudy, rain, snow then come to Chicago. I would chose Chicago overall as a winner just because the city is much more impressive and it has 4 proper seasons unlike Phoenix.
lol, I always laugh so hard when I read things like this. "Walked uphill both ways".

-4 is rare, six feet of snow is unheard of, unless maybe a plow pushed it into a pile that high.

There are 36 nonstop flights a day between Chicago and New York. Snowstorms hit 2-3 times a winter that seriously disrupt the airport and normally things would be back to normal within 12 hours and the backlog of people on their way within 36 hours max. You would never have people delayed for TWO WEEKS just trying to get to NYC. There would be over 500 scheduled nonstop flights and hundreds more with connections if you needed!!!

Old 11-06-2017, 09:24 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I hate Phoenix personally. But the far western suburbs of Chicago are not that great either. it's just personal opinion either way.
What? The far western suburbs of Chicago aren't great? What are you toking over there?

Some of the best suburbs of Chicago (and in the nation) are found out there: Wheaton, St. Charles, Geneva, Wayne, Naperville, Batavia, etc.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:48 PM

656 posts, read 813,291 times
People from Illinois vacation and retire in Arizona, not the other way around.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:37 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
People from Illinois vacation and retire in Arizona, not the other way around.
Sure, people move there to die, but who’s vacationing in Phoenix?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Sure, people move there to die, but who’s vacationing in Phoenix?
Our population literally doubles between Nov and Mar. Phoenix is a very popular vacation destination in the cooler half of the year. As well as providing access to the Red Rock Cliffs of Sedona, the White Mountains, the Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, you name it in terms of nature

Old 11-24-2017, 04:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Our population literally doubles between Nov and Mar. Phoenix is a very popular vacation destination in the cooler half of the year. As well as providing access to the Red Rock Cliffs of Sedona, the White Mountains, the Grand Canyon, Saguaro National Park, you name it in terms of nature
Yep Phoenix is what 3 million year round? Maricopa County alone adds at least a million other people (Maricopa County is the size of Connecticut) during the winter if not more than that and then when you factor in Tucson, Yuma, Casa Grande, I wouldn't be surprised if we added at least another 3 million during the winter, most of which in the Phoenix-Tucson corridor.

Old 11-25-2017, 01:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Lots of old people in Phoenix during the winter months. Not my cup of tea, even though I'm getting old. I love Chicago, and even though there isn't a poll, my vote is for Chicago. (BTW, my husband has golfed in Chicago in January and February, so there are many winters when snow is very sparse).

Old 11-26-2017, 04:10 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,582 times
Is this even a contest?

LOL

Hands down, Chicago!

It's in a great central location, and has a lot of things to do year round. Schools in the western 'burbs are pretty decent and there is the Midwestern friendliness despite it being near a large city. The climate is much better since it has 4 seasons; Phoenix has like 6+ months of hellishly hot weather. Yeah they say it's dry heat but 110 F is still too flipping hot. Trust me on this as someone who has lived in the South. Chicago also has the lakefront and if you want to take a day trip to another city, Milwaukee is not that far away. The economy in Chicago is doing pretty well and jobs are there.

Don't forget all of the great food in Chicago too And the colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.