Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 AM

136 posts, read 366,264 times

Advertisements

I know those are two completely different areas. But which would you choose to raise a family? I know it depends on many factors like job, where family is etc. But just based on the areas themselves. A very far west suburb of Chicago, or a suburb close to Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I know those are two completely different areas. But which would you choose to raise a family? I know it depends on many factors like job, where family is etc. But just based on the areas themselves. A very far west suburb of Chicago, or a suburb close to Phoenix?
Why are you considering a "very far west suburb of Chicago" as opposed to something closer?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:00 AM

136 posts, read 366,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Why are you considering a "very far west suburb of Chicago" as opposed to something closer?
Because we have family there, but we have family in Phoenix area too. I grew up in IL and live in AZ now. So if I move back to IL I would want to live in the area where I grew up. I just can't decide where is better to raise a family. I leaning toward IL,but I don't know.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
So you've experienced both and don't need to be told about the differences in weather, culture, etc. then, which helps.

I guess it just comes down to you deciding which you prefer based on your experiences living in both places. I know for a fact that I would choose Chicago all day over Phoenix. We lived in a suburb of Phoenix briefly and, while I have never lived in Chicago, I do live in a similar climate and in a Great Lakes state and have visited Chicago several times. For me, it beats Phoenix in weather, amenities, and just overall quality of life by far. Just my $.02, though, you need to choose what makes you and your family happy.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
There's not enough criteria for people to give you any real helpful advice. I'm sure many have successfully raised families and enjoy both areas. It really comes down to the criteria that you stated at the beginning of your post. The weather is obviously a huge difference, which is personal preference. I guess the only other glaring difference is living outside of the third largest city in the US will offer lots of amenities (in terms of dining, events, etc) that you may not get in Phoenix. Other than that it comes down to the specifics you've acknowledged, as these are 2 very different regions that both offer a lot.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:35 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
If I had to choose probably Phoenix. Illinois seems like a bad state.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
If I had to choose probably Phoenix. Illinois seems like a bad state.
States don’t matter.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Illinois is just more expensive with the tax climate. Between home values and property taxes you are almost guaranteed to have a higher mortgage apples to apples in Chicagoland. That being said wages are higher in Chicago for the most part. If I were a blue collar worker I would go with Phoenix but for most white collar positions I would lean toward Chicago.

Many find NW Indiana to be a happy medium. Though housing is getting more expensive, property taxes are far lower than in Illinois. Lots of excellent schools in the area. But it only makes sense if you can get a job reasonably close by.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
I hate Phoenix personally. But the far western suburbs of Chicago are not that great either. it's just personal opinion either way.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
States don’t matter.
Um, I think they do when you're considering moving somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I'd choose Chicago. I like the climate more and I like Midwestern people more. But that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.