U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 05:10 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If this is your definition of grittiness, then this whole discussion is based on a false premise because no one prefers a lifestyle of violence, anger, vulgarity, and trash.

Those are certainly not what I mean when I say 'grittiness' anyway.
I know, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 08:11 AM

3,240 posts, read 1,568,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Well it is in the suburbs. Can be boring for sure.
However I'm not sure if gritty automatically means more exiting.

Equally boring but gritty houses
Those Philly Row-homes are NEWLY CONSTRUCTED (unfinished in the picture yet). Yes new that is repeated through a block can be a bit boring. But NEW is NOT True GRITINESS you can replicate.

Now the power-lines ands pole are not complementary. But not really grit. I'd say .... added green-frontage just a few feet would be my preference to LESS BORING as each home could landscape a bit of difference to the sameness. As it is? Maybe different colored entry doors or potted plants?

But my point was or is? How is the example of NEW Philly infill? Be gritty (in common use of the term) that is generally showing its age and bones that might have a bit of decades of grime on yet ..... There could be older existing row-homes across from these new ones? That you could still have a degree of grittiness yet by age? But they could be completely renewed and refurbished too? Depends on the degree and sidewalk appearances too.

Last edited by DavePa; 10-29-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM

1,593 posts, read 837,398 times
People who moved to the city (like myself) like to pretend we're tougher than we are.

Oh I'm Good Will Hunting, The Departed Southie, actually no I'm I moved to Southie after I grew up in the suburbs,gentrified Southie.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 AM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
I'm going to use local Pittsburgh examples here:

Polished

Gritty

Blighted

IMHO the difference between grit and blight is pretty effin clear.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:55 AM

28,556 posts, read 62,318,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
IMHO the difference between grit and blight is pretty effin clear.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Good assortment of pics.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM

5,711 posts, read 3,665,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I live in a very gritty area myself (Southside Williamsburg, Brooklyn) and personally I love coming home and finding new tags on the door to my apartment building.
To each his own. I would be furious if I came home to find graffiti on my door. I would report it to the police, and I would have it painted over immediately. I don't like grittiness at all. Which is why I live in a non-gritty, upper middle class suburb. The poster whom I've quoted would probably die if he lived where I do. And I'd probably feel the same way if I lived where he does. So it's a good thing that each of us live where we do, and not in the other's place.

All that said, some of the graffiti artists have incredible, mind-blowing talent. And when they channel that talent into beautiful murals, I believe that their community is enhanced. But I can't stand seeing random scrawls and the F-bomb all over the place, and I will avoid any place like that.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 PM

6,869 posts, read 7,820,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
All that said, some of the graffiti artists have incredible, mind-blowing talent. And when they channel that talent into beautiful murals, I believe that their community is enhanced. But I can't stand seeing random scrawls and the F-bomb all over the place, and I will avoid any place like that.
Philadelphia launched a mural arts project 30 years ago as a way to deter graffiti and channel that energy into artistic expression. It’s been wildly successful - over 3,600 murals have been sponsored in every corner of the city to date. This short 5 minute video offers a great overview of the project:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OKemJytfNS0

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 10-31-2017 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:36 AM

3,288 posts, read 6,114,980 times
Grittiness makes a city real. It shows that not everyone lives in rich, upscale mega neighborhoods where everyone looks, talks, dresses and acts the same.

Old 11-03-2017, 11:14 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,796,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Grittiness makes a city real. It shows that not everyone lives in rich, upscale mega neighborhoods where everyone looks, talks, dresses and acts the same.
I can agree to this.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:56 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,425,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Yes, I AM a suburbanite. South suburban Atlanta to be specific. I feel like Atlanta as a whole is a pretty clean larger city. I will say the same about Washington, D.C., and even most of New York City (these days). Atlanta (and EVERY CITY) DOES have some communities you don't "want to show to company", but even the most "decayed, abandoned, and neglected parts of Atlanta AT LEAST has something GREEN growing, not the case, elsewhere.

One poster says that "gritty" neighborhoods, "feel like home." That explanation makes sense to me. I can relate to it. Just like well kept tree shaded neighborhoods give me a "homey" vibe.
Your blurring the lines between gritt and run down, and a place with gritt is not necessarily a place run down. And Greenery doesn't stop a place from being gritty.

But I think people find beautify in the quirkiness of it, as it's a reflection of history and character.

Actually Atlanta probably the most gritty of all the major Sunbelt city, due it's the olderest, And it's early identity was shape by rail and the industrial era and etc.

West Midtown, Sweet Auburn, castleberry, Cabbagetown Old Forth Ward and etc. There's a lot of reuse of older industrial building as lofts.

http://archive.pba.org/dictator/imag...abbagetown.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/36/c4/fe/3...es-atlanta.jpg

Also I think because a lot of Americans cities were formed during industrial era, creates a unique American vibe.

This is Chicago, and it doesn't look like a European, it doesn't look like an Asian city, not like a African or Latin American city either. A lot of Asian cities are building skyscrapers like crazy but most just glass towers. Which makes these building a reflection of history. Can't you just imagine these building being in a 1940's noir film.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/56/c5/22/5...icago-loop.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or