U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:27 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,664,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes in a "gritty" city like Baltimore there will be graffiti covering the walls, the windows will be boarded up and there will be trash littering the pavement.......I also understand New York City was quite gritty in the 70s and 80s (before Rudy Giuliani cleaned things up) and not as much today. I wonder who misses the bad old days there.....
Lots of trash and boarded up windows sounds more like blight, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 06:09 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,602,324 times
Quote:
Yes in a "gritty" city like Baltimore there will be graffiti covering the walls, the windows will be boarded up and there will be trash littering the pavement.......I also understand New York City was quite gritty in the 70s and 80s (before Rudy Giuliani cleaned things up) and not as much today. I wonder who misses the bad old days there.....
NYC actually has expensive, nice neighborhoods that are gritty

Gritty to me means built form (big brick buildings, warehouses, very dense/urban) as well as graffiti and street art, rather than trash and blight.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,459,647 times
Alleys in Savannah, Georgia vernacular are called "lanes"! As in "This lane in Savannah is my ideal example of grit!" ;0)

Old 11-07-2017, 07:30 PM

Here in the South we like to put all our grit together in a pot of salted, boiling water, add butter and cheese. and call them grits. (The ground corn variety, anyway). That is "grittiness" anyone can really sink their teeth into! ;0)

Old 11-07-2017, 08:12 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,664,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Alleys in Savannah, Georgia vernacular are called "lanes"! As in "This lane in Savannah is my ideal example of grit!" ;0)
I can see why people don't think my example of the "lane" in Savanah is "gritty." It doesn't have graffiti, isn't dingy from decades of pollution, etc. But, I still think it's somewhat gritty because the built form is dense, the buildings in the view I chose are: old, brick, utilitarian, the paint is washing off of one of the brick buildings, and there is at least one ghost of an arched window head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Here in the South we like to put all our grit together in a pot of salted, boiling water, add butter and cheese. and call them grits. (The ground corn variety, anyway). That is "grittiness" anyone can really sink their teeth into! ;0)
I only tried grits once, and didn't like them. But, they were only from a Waffle House in Charlotte.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:42 PM

Most native Southerners I know abhor "Waffle House grits" aka "sand water". Perhaps it is not their fault, their grits do sit upon an eye all day and really dry out. I encourage ANYONE who hasn't eaten cheese grits cooked by a native Southerner who "knows how" and has been tortured by the faux grits at Waffle House or, eek, instant grits, to try them again under the "proper conditions".

Now I will REALLY try to stop derailing my OWN thread. lol.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
While history tends to repeat itself, it's important to still remember that things change and we can't guarantee WHEN exactly history will repeat itself.

Millennials won't have as much wealth as their parents. Millennials earn 20% less than Boomers did when Boomers were at this age. And Millennials have half the net worth as Boomers did in their prime. This is the first generation in American history for that to happen. The "American dream" suburban lifestyle is a pipe dream so long as people view their much needed shelters as investments that should always be increasing in value.

And someone quoted me earlier about "those" people. "Those" people I meant to describe alternative people, anyone who goes against the suburban American cultural norm. Anything that doesn't fall in line with the Andy Griffith show and what that means in the suburbs today. Yes people do want to escape people not like them all the time. We can talk about the Trump Wall and liberals wanting to stay away from rednecks but that would get too political for this particular thread...
I think you got it backwards, If anything it's conservatives that are fleeing. I get to that in a second

When I talk to people about suburban sprawl they often talk about it like it's like this tradition that always been. For there it's hard for them to even imagine people want to live closer or in the city. Even the way your describing the "norm"

When actually it's fairly new in human settlement. In last 2 thousand years sure there have always been suburbs but American style sprawling this didn't happen until the last 60 years. Generation before that many stayed in city or town, or rural areas.

Your calling moving back to cities a trend when actually you can call people seeking the American dream suburbia a trend in the first place.

2 major things happen 1, The Government built all these suburban interstates and subsidized rual areas. 2. With the end of segregation help encourage white flight.

Which bring us back to you last paragraph..... There is this idea by some to think they can escape the city, escape. diversity, population growth, crime and etc. The error with people chasing the American dream concept it creates a contraindication.

Because everything that people think their trying to leave about the city, is already trying to follow for the reason they want some the American pie too. So instead of getting the American dream half 10, 20 years later get their suburb turn into city 2.0

Buford HWY surban Atlanta

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zEGx..._20Image.0.jpg

So once this happen............ now what?............ sprawl out some more?

I think logic is setting in with Millennials, Millennials grew up in a more diverse integrated world than their parents. Schools, the internet and etc. Which make them more acceptable to diversity. the city and etc.

Old 11-09-2017, 03:52 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,423,000 times
Quote:
True though for me the cities with the most "character" in the nation are some of the least "gritty" - Savannah and Charleston SC. Grittiness is a way some people use to market a city that is truly just very ghetto and run down. Detroit is a gritty city for sure, so is Philadelphia, Baltimore, Newark, parts of Chicago, the Bronx etc etc. Pittsburgh is nicer now since its less "gritty" than in the past.
Savanah is gritty

the error your mixing up gritt and ghetto they are not the same thing.

These a from Ant131531 Atlanta

Grit

no grit... too perfect less personality. This is still a very nice new urbanism project

Grit

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1120/...e5d38f07_b.jpg
no grit...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1388/...a8abb45e_b.jpg

Savanah grit the coloniak buiding it's part of charm.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:07 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
Very good illustration of the difference, chiatldal.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:53 PM

6,865 posts, read 7,815,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Very good illustration of the difference, chiatldal.
Agree. Wanted to rep but need to spread it around bit more. At least I can do this:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or