U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 03:00 PM

21,204 posts, read 30,412,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'm not a Philly person, but I've been to Fishtown quite a few times, and its still fairly gritty. You can't get the feel from a short video like that which is trying to promote it. Most of the housing stock is old and NOT renovated - at least from what you can tell on the outside. There are still a lot of old school businesses and long time residents, alongside the new residents and new businesses which cater to a yuppified crowd. And those new higher-end businesses are likely there because the millenials who like to spend a lot of money on restaurants etc. while paying a lower rent than they would in center city.
Precisely, I would say spot on as a former 10 year resident of Fishtown who purchased in the early days of gentrification and sold/moved in 2011. I have visited on/off since then and while there has been significant change, much of the old school has hung on stubbornly...as in the type who find trash cans a nuisance and new school renovations a bother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 05:51 PM

1,900 posts, read 832,580 times
Words like grittiness or soulless, shiny etc. get thrown around way too often and easy. I for example never understand when people call places that are clean, orderly and maintained well, as boring and soulless. I usually just call them clean and livable.
Of course gritty does not always have to mean "dirty" but too often I have seen (read) it used as a response or excuse to filth. Along the lines 'I rather have it gritty then cookiecutter and plastic and soulless...'.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:02 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,670,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Words like grittiness or soulless, shiny etc. get thrown around way too often and easy. I for example never understand when people call places that are clean, orderly and maintained well, as boring and soulless. I usually just call them clean and livable.
Of course gritty does not always have to mean "dirty" but too often I have seen (read) it used as a response or excuse to filth. Along the lines 'I rather have it gritty then cookiecutter and plastic and soulless...'.
I call this boring and soulless, but it's also clean and livable...

Boring Suburban Houses

Old 10-27-2017, 11:12 PM

1,900 posts, read 832,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I call this boring and soulless, but it's also clean and livable...

Boring Suburban Houses
Well it is in the suburbs. Can be boring for sure.
However I'm not sure if gritty automatically means more exiting.

Equally boring but gritty houses

Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 AM

25 posts, read 19,857 times
You would love east side Detroit

Old 10-28-2017, 12:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 4,379,442 times
I think sometimes an attraction for grittiness has to do with a desire for authenticity. One wants to feel in contact with society as it is, rather than being insulated from reality. "Grit" exists. If you aren't exposed to it, then you are living a somewhat sheltered life. Appreciation for grittiness can become an aesthetic, but I wonder if it isn't rooted in a pursuit of truth and reality (albeit, probably a very Romantic pursuit of those things).

My enthusiasm for grittiness has decreased greatly as I've gotten older. Civilization is partly a matter of shelter, after all.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:31 PM

5,442 posts, read 8,159,948 times
I really don’t understand it. Give me shinny and new any day.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:46 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,594,726 times
It stems from the fact that not everyone is raised with the same values. While you may have been raised to value and appreiciate cleanliness, serenity, safety, low crime, peacefulness, orderliness, structure, sophistication, a slow pace, stability, affluence etc, there are others who see no intrinsic value in those things, or who may even deem those things "boring" and sterile. There are people who were raised to value or even enjoy drama, delapidation, violence, anger, fighting, grit, dirtiness, vulgarity, trash, and chaos swirling at all times. If youre someone who values the former, you will never understand those who value the latter and vice versa. Its simply a matter of coming from two different upbringings and therefore, two different perspectives.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:02 PM

15,529 posts, read 17,760,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
. There are people who were raised to value or even enjoy drama, delapidation, violence, anger, fighting, grit, dirtiness, vulgarity, trash, and chaos swirling at all times.
If this is your definition of grittiness, then this whole discussion is based on a false premise because no one prefers a lifestyle of violence, anger, vulgarity, and trash.

Those are certainly not what I mean when I say 'grittiness' anyway.

Old 10-28-2017, 03:26 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,599,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If this is your definition of grittiness, then this whole discussion is based on a false premise because no one prefers a lifestyle of violence, anger, vulgarity, and trash.

Those are certainly not what I mean when I say 'grittiness' anyway.
Exactly, it's all about the built form of the neighborhood , not crime and garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or