U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:45 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times

Advertisements

I am the type of person that likes nice clean cities full of beautiful greenery. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why would you seek filthy, graffiti sprayed crumbling neighborhoods absent of ANY form of green growing things? This may sound snarky, I don't mean it to be, but please explain to me the appeal of grit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Some people may interpret "grit" as character, spontaneity and signs of a city's past. Re-purposed industrial buildings can turn out to be pretty cool.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,136,931 times
It's more a Millennial derivative - make the crappy areas of a city "hip" then they get driven out because rent goes up and they're in the creative class. It's not so much as applicable in 2017 as it was in 2007.

See Hoboken, NJ. It happened a long time ago in the 1980s.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:39 PM

I have been to Hoboken a couple of times, it DIDN'T seem overly "gritty" to me, densely populated, yes, "gritty", no.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,360,515 times
It's not an endearing or redeeming quality of any city.

You want to see what a truly amazing and remarkably clean city looks like? Try Oslo. Or Minneapolis.

There is nothing appealing about a homeless person taking a dump on the street in the middle of San Francisco. I've witnessed this more than once. It makes a city like SF less desirable IMO. Even my city of Seattle has this problem, and there are many enablers.

Other countries are doing much better as far as grittiness goes.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:06 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,568,506 times
The suburbanites are out in attack!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:13 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,016,359 times
I like the dark gloomy skies.
I like the black snow that's been splashed on continuously by buses and cars,
I like the faded colors of brick buildings, brick walls that have been painted repainted after taggings.
I like the cracked paint on older buildings, light poles, elevated train rail supports.
A little bit of trash here and there.
Asphalt and concrete that has started to crack.

I grew up in this. I just feel it shows the city is alive. Being used.
Downtown Chicago is clean. I feel like I'm being watched. Like I'd be faulted for anything outside the accepted norm.
But in a gritty neighborhood I feel free. No one is babysitting you. I can drive a messed up car and no one will care. I can spill my drink if I don't want it and no one will care. No one expects you to be tidy and neat. It's relaxed.

I've been through neighborhoods where lawns are immaculate. I don't even want to walk through there. It feels unwelcoming. Like no, don't step through here. Keep me clean.

I am a fan of urban decay as well.

But yeah, that's what I feel. Ever since I was a child.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,360,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The suburbanites are out in attack!
I'm not a suburbanite. I like cities. I am particularly fond of clean cities. I don't like to see defecation and urinating in public. Sue me.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Yes, I AM a suburbanite. South suburban Atlanta to be specific. I feel like Atlanta as a whole is a pretty clean larger city. I will say the same about Washington, D.C., and even most of New York City (these days). Atlanta (and EVERY CITY) DOES have some communities you don't "want to show to company", but even the most "decayed, abandoned, and neglected parts of Atlanta AT LEAST has something GREEN growing, not the case, elsewhere.

One poster says that "gritty" neighborhoods, "feel like home." That explanation makes sense to me. I can relate to it. Just like well kept tree shaded neighborhoods give me a "homey" vibe.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:04 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,303,876 times
Oh this is a good thread for me! Iím on the subway right now omw out for the night so I donít have time to make a full post but I will come back tomorrow.

OP, I donít think you appreciate the artistic part of grittiness or maybe you just havenít seen any good examples of grit. Grittiness can be really beautiful too, youíd be surprised. Grittiness is a very unique form of art with its own unique culture. Often times I find myself walking around Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan and just having to stop and stare in awe at some beautiful pieces of street art and just take a bunch of pictures. I have friends hate walking around certain areas with me because they know Iím gonna stop a lot, lol.

Tomorrow when I have some more time I will post some examples of what I mean. I live in a very gritty area myself (Southside Williamsburg, Brooklyn) and personally I love coming home and finding new tags on the door to my apartment building. Every once in a while my landlord will have it painted over, but there usually will be a new one again by the next day.

Also grittiness doesnít necessarily mean dirty or no green around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm not a suburbanite. I like cities. I am particularly fond of clean cities. I don't like to see defecation and urinating in public. Sue me.
I donít think you understand what grittiness is. Nobody here is talking about watching homeless people take a **** in public. What does that even have to do with the topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or