U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:38 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Miami. It has some of the most liberal smoking laws in the USA I know of. Certainly the most liberal for a major city. You can smoke in clubs and bars in Miami. A lot of the restaurants have open sections that allow smoking as well.

I'm with you on nanny state laws. They're ridiculous. It should be up to the establishment - not the government - if they wish to permit smoking inside their building. What's more Californians are quite ridiculous with their anti-smoking zeal. I have a friend who lives half of his time in San Diego and the other half in Geneva, Switzerland. He complains that he is constantly given dirty looks and told "he should quit" when he smokes (tobacco) but yet those same people constantly gush about smoking marijuana.
I didn't know that about Florida. Remember when you expected to smell like smoke when you went out? While I'm a non smoker and I do like going places that don't allow it, I think the owners should be able to decide. Same goes for restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:43 PM

377 posts, read 201,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I didn't know that about Florida. Remember when you expected to smell like smoke when you went out? While I'm a non smoker and I do like going places that don't allow it, I think the owners should be able to decide. Same goes for restaurants.
I will just speak for Miami. Not sure if other cities have their own rules on this. And I'm a nonsmoker as well, and have came home often smelling of smoking (and having to air my clothes) after going out in Miami. But I still prefer this to big government telling a business what they can and cannot do. If I don't want to smell like smoke I will find a smoke free establishment.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:49 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Texas, Mississippi, and Kentucky have pretty lax tobacco laws. Conservative states are more lax than liberal states when it comes to laws regarding health.
Utah is a highly conservative state but it has one of the lowest smoking rates.. not sure if they actually regulate tobacco that much though.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:16 AM

1,416 posts, read 1,028,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I used to agree with, but I have changed my mind after talking to restaurant staff. Food staff were forced to breath in smoke all day long. At that rate, it goes from being an annoyance to a health risk. Now sure, in theory, they could have quit their jobs and gone into different fields. But, we all have bills to pay and families to feed and in many cases these were the best paying jobs they can find. Since we all need to work, I think we should try to make it as safe as reasonably possible.

Banning indoor smoking is annoying to me as a customer, but I think it is a fair trade off to help out the workers who need to be there for financial reasons.

Last edited by jpdivola; 10-24-2017 at 12:31 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 01:27 AM

24,964 posts, read 23,873,661 times
When I used to smoke, I didn't feel inconvenienced by going outside. There will always be people with allergies and asthma in public places. They shouldn't have to suffer my bad habit. Smokers club is outside in the rain. Go out or don't.

The thing that ticks me off is outdoor smoking bans.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:17 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westbymidwest View Post
I presume anywhere where tobacco is grown or where cigarettes/cigars/etc are manufactured. Maybe the Carolinas?
Nope, and hasn't been the case for decades.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:20 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Florida is probably in the running for friendliest if you're inclined to go out to bars/clubs.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,743,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm a staunch liberal and this is the one issue I agree with conservatives on
I'm the exact opposite a stanch libertarian but agree with liberals on this issue.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:08 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
There are many states in the USA without any statewide ban. However, one would be wise to understand if bans exist at local city/county levels within these states. I don't know if that's the case but I suspect that it's all over the board across those non-ban states.
I think that there are also some states that allow smoking in restaurants as long as the spaces are physically separated and separately ventilated. That said, I'd suspect that many restaurants won't have this two tiered system due to expense.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:15 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Banning indoor smoking is annoying to me as a customer, but I think it is a fair trade off to help out the workers who need to be there for financial reasons.
I waited tables decades ago when I was in college. As someone with Asthma, working the smoking section was horrific. I couldn't find another job that paid enough for me to afford my education while also being flexible enough for me to attend my classes. It was a struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.