U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:38 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times

Advertisements

Assume the average low of the coldest month is 30 and the average high of the hottest month is 90 and precipitation and humidity are not extreme outliers. If so, what places fit this criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM

18,928 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Assume the average low of the coldest month is 30 and the average high of the hottest month is 90 and precipitation and humidity are not extreme outliers. If so, what places fit this criteria?
That is pretty much Atlanta

Old 10-23-2017, 08:30 PM

5,655 posts, read 8,659,576 times
How often does it snow? Do the ponds stay frozen? What does the fall foliage look like?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:57 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
When I think of “4 seasons” I think of

Spring- Pleasant temperatures during the day, a bit nippy at night, and some rain

Summer- Nice & hot, feels great to swim, and need to run A/C all summer

Fall- Again pleasant temperatures during the day, chilly at night, sweatpants & hoodie weather for sure.

Winter- Obviously cold, some snow, have that fireplace burning and cuddle time.

Now, I know this isn’t what everyone thinks, but growing up in Southern Indiana, this is about how it was, and I think it’s a good representation of 4 seasons. So a lot of place would fit this description, especially the Midwest, East Coast, etc...

Old 10-23-2017, 09:52 PM

377 posts, read 201,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
To me this would be a 4-seasonal climate but just barely. Winter would sometimes have snow on the ground but rarely stick around for long. Fall and Spring would feature change of colors and blooms. Summer would be hot.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
That sounds like Seattle where average highs range from 45 in January to 73 in August, and lows range from 36 to 55. We certainly have seasons. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswa0395

Old 10-24-2017, 05:08 AM

18,928 posts, read 6,850,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That sounds like Seattle where average highs range from 45 in January to 73 in August, and lows range from 36 to 55. We certainly have seasons. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswa0395
The OP said average low of 30 and average high of 90 in the coldest and warmest months respectively, not the highest and lowest temps those months, but the averages. So Atlanta and maybe Charlotte or Raleigh are the only real fits

Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 AM

21,186 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The OP said average low of 30 and average high of 90 in the coldest and warmest months respectively, not the highest and lowest temps those months, but the averages. So Atlanta and maybe Charlotte or Raleigh are the only real fits
An average high of 90 is no where near the case for any of those cities and would be a tough grab for cities in FL or TX as well. Perhaps the Desert Southwest though in AZ, NM or NV.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:45 AM

3,718 posts, read 3,570,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In my opinion, those cities have 3 seasons - winter is not like an extended fall and spring. You would have to be in the Appalchians or north of DC (if staying piedmont) to have 4 seasons.

IMO, since Im from western Pennsylvania, even places like Philadelphia and NYC barely have 4 seasons.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:10 AM

774 posts, read 839,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
In my opinion, those cities have 3 seasons - winter is not like an extended fall and spring. You would have to be in the Appalchians or north of DC (if staying piedmont) to have 4 seasons.

IMO, since Im from western Pennsylvania, even places like Philadelphia and NYC barely have 4 seasons.
Interestingly, DC itself at Reagan National airport (partly due to the urban heat island effect) has an average January low of 29 and a July high of 89, and in the next decade or two, may hit the 30/90 mark with regards to the OP, especially since a decade ago the averages were 26 and 88, but increased due to climate change. It's a humid subtropical Cfa climate, but towards the cooler end of that climate, which I'd consider that a summer dominant, mild winter 3 1/2 seasons climate, with winters a mix of winter and some fall/spring like periods. Rain is typically recorded approximately one out of every three or four days, and outside of the summer, humidity is moderate. Summers usually last at least four months, but sometimes head out to five, at the expense of winter, which usually has only about six weeks of real wintry weather each year (sorry Phil!) with daily averages freezing or below. Rain is the most common form of precipitation during the winter (especially outside of cities where less of an urban heat island effect means average high temperatures of around 50 degrees, and this describes much of the upper south outside of the mountains. White Christmases are moderately rare, occurring on average around once a decade. NYC also makes the Cfa cut thanks to the heat island, but is far enough north to draw in cold air to have proper winters every so often, though the snow melts quite quickly in the city due to the salt treatment and mild buildings, and I'd consider that city "four seasons with manageable winters".

I'd say Dfa and Dfb are the most definitive four-season climates, since D climates have proper winters and even highs in the 70s as opposed to the 80s for the warm season is still warm enough to support summer vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or