Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of when you hear Tri-Cities?
NC (Raleigh) 12 24.49%
NC (Greensboro) 2 4.08%
ON (Ketchener) 0 0%
CA (Oceanside) 0 0%
CA (Fremont) 1 2.04%
BC (Coquitlam) 0 0%
PA (Allentown) 2 4.08%
NY (Albany) 1 2.04%
WA (Kennewick) 6 12.24%
TX (Beaumont) 0 0%
TN (Johnson City) 13 26.53%
MI (Saginaw) 1 2.04%
IL (St. Charles) 0 0%
NY (Binghamton) 2 4.08%
NH (Dover) 0 0%
VA (Petersburg) 1 2.04%
CO (Firestone) 0 0%
OK (Newcastle) 0 0%
MI (Grand Haven) 1 2.04%
VA (Williamsburg) 0 0%
OR (Tri-City) 1 2.04%
Other 1 2.04%
Don't think of anything 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 03:41 PM

5,678 posts, read 4,836,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's a very, very low number for the metro population. If you consider the "balance" of the core counties, Sullivan and Washington, TN, plus smaller counties like Carter, Hawkins, and southwest VA counties, you're up to roughly a half million for the CSA.
I'm not basing it off of MSA or CSA because some of these cities are just suburbs such as the ones in BC which are suburbs of Vancouver. So instead I just add the city proper populations of each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
No mention of Columbus-Starkville-West Point, MS? (I believe it's actually called the Golden Triangle).
seems you are correct
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden...e_(Mississippi)

however it wasn't listed here so I didn't put it in the poll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities

Old 10-30-2017, 03:52 PM

32 votes in and I'm kind of surprised how poorly WA is doing. I understand TN since it's also referred to as the Tri-Cities and it's in the eastern US so gets more exposer. But Raleigh is surprisingly doing very well even though it's officially know as the triangle or research triangle, yet it's the first thing people think of when they hear Tri-Cities for 21% of the people. The reason why I thought Tri-Cities, WA would do better is because all three cities actually boarder one another and it's metro area is officially known as the Tri-Cities, as opposed to most metro areas where they list out the 2 or 3 largest cities. But I guess Tri-Cities is to small and remote to get any name recognition.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 PM

9,865 posts, read 14,195,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
32 votes in and I'm kind of surprised how poorly WA is doing. I understand TN since it's also referred to as the Tri-Cities and it's in the eastern US so gets more exposer. But Raleigh is surprisingly doing very well even though it's officially know as the triangle or research triangle, yet it's the first thing people think of when they hear Tri-Cities for 21% of the people. The reason why I thought Tri-Cities, WA would do better is because all three cities actually boarder one another and it's metro area is officially known as the Tri-Cities, as opposed to most metro areas where they list out the 2 or 3 largest cities. But I guess Tri-Cities is to small and remote to get any name recognition.
I think Tri-Cities, TN and VA gets much more name recognition primarily because of Bristol, TN and the Bristol Motor Speedway. It's one of the most popular NASCAR race tracks and draws huge crowds nationwide.
Plus Johnson City, TN is home to East Tennessee State University and a growing city, whereas Kingsport, TN is the Fortune 500 Corp HQ for Eastman Chemical Company (in top 5 employers in the state of Tennessee).

Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM

34,822 posts, read 30,876,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Metro Raleigh is referred to as "The Triangle." Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro, NC are referred to as "The Triad." No one refers to them as "Tri-Cities."

While the Tri-Cities TN/VA don't technically border one another (except for Bristol TN/VA), they are all within a half hour of each other, even with Kingsport-Bristol and Johnson City being two separate "metros."

Old 10-31-2017, 08:35 AM

616 posts, read 544,956 times
The Tri-Cities of the Atlanta metro area (College Park, Hapeville, and East Point) lol.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:06 AM

3,286 posts, read 8,521,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Metro Raleigh is referred to as "The Triangle." Winston-Salem, High Point, and Greensboro, NC are referred to as "The Triad." No one refers to them as "Tri-Cities."

While the Tri-Cities TN/VA don't technically border one another (except for Bristol TN/VA), they are all within a half hour of each other, even with Kingsport-Bristol and Johnson City being two separate "metros."
I don't think the question was specifically about being called exactly "Tri-Cities" but rather three cities in close proximity that are known as a trio sort of speak. I live in the Triangle and wouldn't think Tri-cities would represent us since the Triangle is specifically referring to our 3 Universities which form a Triangle. Plus Raleigh is it's own Metro and much bigger than Durham or Chapel Hill.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't think the question was specifically about being called exactly "Tri-Cities" but rather three cities in close proximity that are known as a trio sort of speak. I live in the Triangle and wouldn't think Tri-cities would represent us since the Triangle is specifically referring to our 3 Universities which form a Triangle. Plus Raleigh is it's own Metro and much bigger than Durham or Chapel Hill.
Well my poll question is "What do you think of when you hear Tri-Cities?" Meaning if someone mentions "Tri-Cities" with out any context what is the first region you will think of? The reason why I added some cities that are not usually called Tri-Cities is because they were listed in Wikipedia, which says that "Tri-City, Tricity or Tri-Cities may refer to:" the cities I listed in the poll. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.