U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:09 PM

3,792 posts, read 8,830,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter40 View Post
I like NYC a lot. I just don't think I can live in the actual city, if that makes sense. I'd prefer a suburb of Jersey and then commute in. People keep telling me Jersey sucks and all that. Is it something to consider though?
New Jersey gets a bad rap because "it's not NYC," basically. Also, for years back in the 50s and 60s there were little to no environmental regulations, so a lot of companies dumped waste and chemicals in a few areas where they had plants or factories, and NJ got a bad reputation as a "dumping ground." But, logically speaking, these areas were very small compared to the entire state.

New Jersey has some stunningly amazing areas and is very similar to any busy suburban area with many many bustling suburbs and cities with tons of shopping and entertainment. The highways in NJ are probably the most confusing I have ever encountered anywhere in the United States.

The big attraction about northern NJ is the super close proximity to NYC--you can have grass and a house and green space while being 15,20 minutes away by car or train.

I'd visit the area for a few days and see what you think. Keep in mind though that a lot of cities--Jersey City, Weehawken, Hoboken, etc, have prices that are close to those in Manhattan for housing, so keep that in mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 03:59 PM

1,071 posts, read 538,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Is Atlanta really any different than Dallas?
I find it extremely different personally. Completely different business and social scene than Dallas.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 4,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I find it extremely different personally. Completely different business and social scene than Dallas.
How different are Atlanta/Houston from Dallas? The funny thing is that I actually like the south in terms of climate and the general easy-going lifestyles people have. I think at the very least having more diversity in the city centers in terms of Asians, etc. would be huge.

I know it's anecdotal, but I can tell you that I have better luck with online dating in the cities that I travel to, despite only being there for a little while, than in Dallas. I honestly think the reason for that is because most of the people that pop up on online dating sites in Dallas are Caucasian and Christian. It seems they don't particularly go for dudes like me, especially since they have so many options in Dallas that are similar to them in that regard. There's nothing wrong with that. Hell, I probably do the same to some extent subconsciously, but toward my own race. That said,it significantly reduces the dating pool for me, since most of the diversity is 20+ miles north of where I'm at.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 PM

2,971 posts, read 4,366,814 times
Quote:
Is Atlanta really any different than Dallas?
It's more Southern culturally than Dallas. He will encounter a lot of the God fearing folk there that he complains about in Dallas, plus the area is culturally less diverse and has a smaller population.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:33 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,046,016 times
Quote:
How different are Atlanta/Houston from Dallas? The funny thing is that I actually like the south in terms of climate and the general easy-going lifestyles people have. I think at the very least having more diversity in the city centers in terms of Asians, etc. would be huge.

I know it's anecdotal, but I can tell you that I have better luck with online dating in the cities that I travel to, despite only being there for a little while, than in Dallas. I honestly think the reason for that is because most of the people that pop up on online dating sites in Dallas are Caucasian and Christian. It seems they don't particularly go for dudes like me, especially since they have so many options in Dallas that are similar to them in that regard. There's nothing wrong with that. Hell, I probably do the same to some extent subconsciously, but toward my own race. That said,it significantly reduces the dating pool for me, since most of the diversity is 20+ miles north of where I'm at.
I don't think Atlanta is any more Asian centric than Dallas or Houston. The Asians hang in the burbs I've heard.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:40 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Quote:
I don't think Atlanta is any more Asian centric than Dallas or Houston. The Asians hang in the burbs I've heard.
That's true. Houston city limits covers a larger land area than both Dallas & Atlanta, so it's possible to be in a predominately Asian part of the city that is 15 miles away from Downtown/Midtown. I honestly think Seattle would be a better fit for the OP.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:41 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,255,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
For AA's that's true. Not necessarily for other groups.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 PM

4,945 posts, read 3,046,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
That's true. Houston city limits covers a larger land area than both Dallas & Atlanta, so it's possible to be in a predominately Asian part of the city that is 15 miles away from Downtown/Midtown. I honestly think Seattle would be a better fit for the OP.
Asians tend to flock to the burbs. Maybe not in Seattle or Portland because they're smaller cities. Of course, some eastern cities and Chicago, chinatown is still pretty residential.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,276,951 times
Quote:

Atlanta is great if you are Korean. Otherwise, DFW is better for Asian Americans in dating and representation.

Old 10-27-2017, 12:34 AM

333 posts, read 241,904 times
OP, have you thought about Houston? The city has alot of diversity moreso than Dallas. Also I find Houston to be more lush through out the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or