Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

Try Austin or Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 10:59 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Try Austin or Portland.
They're better for outdoors but there's less cultural things to do in those cities than in Dallas. I'd say Seattle since it has a larger Asian population with great outdoors & abundant cultural opportunities.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM

461 posts, read 546,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You might want to add Washington DC and Philadelphia into the mix. Similar to Chicago and Boston, but milder and DC-PHL-NYC are very connected and offer everything you seek.
Why do people always say this? Milder? Try waiting for a bus in Philly in February or waiting for the Metro in DC. We spent 3 1/2 years in NoVA based on a bad recommendation from my idiot brother and we had more snow the first winter than I'd seen since college in Buffalo. We had over 3 feet in one night, and it never melted. The left turn lanes on every road in the region were blocked with snow for months.

Milder than what?

Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbeliever View Post
Why do people always say this? Milder? Try waiting for a bus in Philly in February or waiting for the Metro in DC. We spent 3 1/2 years in NoVA based on a bad recommendation from my idiot brother and we had more snow the first winter than I'd seen since college in Buffalo. We had over 3 feet in one night, and it never melted. The left turn lanes on every road in the region were blocked with snow for months.

Milder than what?
That was an abnormal winter, they can happen from time to time ya know...

And Philly/DC are milder then Chicago and Boston, I don't think anyone would dispute that. Look up the temperature and snow records for the 4 cities and you will see for yourself.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:50 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,048,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That was an abnormal winter, they can happen from time to time ya know...

And Philly/DC are milder then Chicago and Boston, I don't think anyone would dispute that. Look up the temperature and snow records for the 4 cities and you will see for yourself.
This and it's not even close. DC does get some weird infrequent heavy snow events, but nothing like Chicago or Boston.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:39 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Why isn't NYC on your list if Boston and Chicago are? Why isn't LA if you include San Fran?
San Francisco is the only thing on your list that satisfies all of your requirements. Denver is small and provincial and you'll run into the same problem with the people there. Boston and Chicago are too cold for you. You should consider LA since it's not that far from the outdoorsy stuff you like and has the culture.
DC definitely has the culture and diversity but I'm not sure about the weather.
Austin has less "culture" than Dallas while Houston has about the same. You'll likely run into the same problem in both.
You haven't told us what you do. That will likely be a major factor.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:21 PM

9 posts, read 8,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Why isn't NYC on your list if Boston and Chicago are? Why isn't LA if you include San Fran?
San Francisco is the only thing on your list that satisfies all of your requirements. Denver is small and provincial and you'll run into the same problem with the people there. Boston and Chicago are too cold for you. You should consider LA since it's not that far from the outdoorsy stuff you like and has the culture.
DC definitely has the culture and diversity but I'm not sure about the weather.
Austin has less "culture" than Dallas while Houston has about the same. You'll likely run into the same problem in both.
You haven't told us what you do. That will likely be a major factor.
I like NYC a lot. I just don't think I can live in the actual city, if that makes sense. I'd prefer a suburb of Jersey and then commute in. People keep telling me Jersey sucks and all that. Is it something to consider though?

Regarding my job, I work in consulting, with a focus on healthcare companies. I want to pivot more towards pharmaceuticals/medical devices instead of primarily hospital work, so it'd be helpful to have companies in this niche within the area. That said, it's not a requirement, because the firm forces me to travel as it is.

To the people commenting on meetups and all, I've tried a couple and nothing really came out of it, unfortunately. The other problem is because I travel and work odd hours, it's very hard to go to them regularly. Plus, the metroplex is so large that sometimes events will be in Addison/Plano, and I just can't make it out there after a long work day. I do agree that part is on me in all though.

Last edited by globetrotter40; 10-25-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter40 View Post

Regarding my job, I work in consulting, with a focus on healthcare companies. I want to pivot more towards pharmaceuticals/medical devices instead of primarily hospital work, so it'd be helpful to have companies in this niche within the area. That said, it's not a requirement, because the firm forces me to travel as it is.

Philadelphia and Boston for sure.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:56 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
To the people commenting on meetups and all, I've tried a couple and nothing really came out of it, unfortunately. The other problem is because I travel and work odd hours, it's very hard to go to them regularly. Plus, the metroplex is so large that sometimes events will be in Addison/Plano, and I just can't make it out there after a long work day. I do agree that part is on me in all though.
I guess my question is, have you explored Dallas outside of Uptown? I'm talking about Downtown, Design District, Bishop Arts, Deep Ellum, Lower Greenville areas. Most of the art, film, and especially architecture events are going to be in Dallas anyways.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:54 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
I like NYC a lot. I just don't think I can live in the actual city, if that makes sense. I'd prefer a suburb of Jersey and then commute in. People keep telling me Jersey sucks and all that. Is it something to consider though?

If you're that busy then a smaller, more compact city like Seattle and DC might be better. At least you won't have to travel much to go to events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.