U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 PM

9 posts, read 4,928 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've been living in Dallas, TX for about 2.5 years now and want to leave. I think Texas is a great state and Dallas has many positive traits, but I feel like I've given the city a fair shot, and I just don't fit in culturally here. I'm a 29 year old, single, Asian male, and while the people here are friendly/polite, I've found them to not be my types.

I live in the Uptown area of the city, and it seems filled with ex-fraternity/sorority types that are more into partying and talking about the Cowboys than discussing art, different places they've traveled, etc. It's also way too religious, and while I actually think religion is valuable, despite being agnostic, I've found it harder to make friends because of this. I also know that the area is more diverse if I go north, but my work is in downtown, and it's hard to make the commute, especially since I already work long/unpredictable hours.

Here are some things that I'm looking for in my next city. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction:

1. Climate-wise, I'm pretty flexible. I grew up in California, so I hate dealing with snow, but I've lived in frigid climates, and can deal with it...as long as there's no ice/snow. In general, I prefer Texas heat to Minneapolis cold, but I do in general like a change of seasons. I also will still consider places that get a decent amount of snow, it's just not my preference.

2. Topography: I don't NEED to be next to mountains or the beach. That said, I do appreciate lots of greenery and bodies of water. Dallas is very brown and flat, both of which I strongly dislike.

3. Culture: At the risk of sounding like anymore of an elitist than I already do, I want to move somewhere that's cosmopolitan. I appreciate more "intellectual", for lack of better word, endeavors and would get energy from being around people that appreciate art/film, the theater, reading, traveling, etc. I like sports just as much as any guy, but I don't want fantasy football to be the sole topic of discussion with people like it seems to be in Dallas.

4. Outdoors: I'm a very outdoorsy person and like being in nature. If there's lots of good hiking trails, etc. in the next city, that's a huge positive for me.

Just as some ideas, here are cities that I'm pondering moving to:

1. Boston
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Denver

Are there other places that could fit the bill? Maybe somewhere still in the south, but a place that isn't the same as Dallas culturally?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,970,829 times
What do you think of Houston?

I'd say most parts of the south are gonna potential pose the same problems that you're facing already. I personally find enough pockets of culture, diversity, and cosmopolitans in all the big southern metros but I get it if you feel it's not pervasive/abundant enough for you.

I think you're gonna have to look to more wintry locales. SF as you mentioned, and Seattle, may be the most mild, and perhaps your best bets.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:59 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Hey, first off, I hope you are able to find a place that works for you!

Based on what you said regarding culture I would like to point out that while some cities are better than others, alot of it will have to do with the neighborhood you live in or the social circles you run in. I enjoy Film, Architecture, and Philosophy but I've found most people from most places aren't all that interested in those things in general. I mostly rely on friends from college or folks in my extended social network to share those sorts of interests with. I can totally see how you wouldn't get that on your own just living in uptown. It's all about building a network of people with similar interests in my opinion.

If you are looking for cities with super intellectual type of folks I would recommend living near a college. My buddy did that with Boston and now most of his acquaintances are MIT and Harvard grad students. It seemed to work really well for him.

Chicago is great, but not unlike Dallas people will have varying interests. Your best bet would be to frequent galleries you like or set up shop near U Chicago and build your network there.

You might consider Austin. It can be a little over hyped for a lot of folks, but if its your thing it could be the best place in the world.

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2017, 08:23 AM

5,718 posts, read 5,108,901 times
You might want to add Washington DC and Philadelphia into the mix. Similar to Chicago and Boston, but milder and DC-PHL-NYC are very connected and offer everything you seek.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:32 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter40 View Post

3. Culture: At the risk of sounding like anymore of an elitist than I already do, I want to move somewhere that's cosmopolitan. I appreciate more "intellectual", for lack of better word, endeavors and would get energy from being around people that appreciate art/film, the theater, reading, traveling, etc. I like sports just as much as any guy, but I don't want fantasy football to be the sole topic of discussion with people like it seems to be in Dallas.
I'd recommend venturing out of Uptown and exploring other neighborhoods in Dallas such as Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, etc. In the age of social media apps and Meetup groups, I find it completely inexcusable and lazy that you haven't found been able to find something. There's thousands of different groups in Dallas alone that cater to your interests, never mind the entire metro. I know of plenty of people here that are not into sports. Heck, the Dallas Arts District is just south of Uptown.

I can completely understand if you've sought out those groups and found them to lack a critical mass. But from the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like you even attempted to do so. Uptown is a tiny sliver of Dallas as a whole and not necessarily representative of the entire city. Even then, your social experiences can vary from apartment to apartment.

Last edited by DTXman34; 10-25-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-25-2017, 08:51 AM

1,080 posts, read 827,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You might want to add Washington DC and Philadelphia into the mix. Similar to Chicago and Boston, but milder and DC-PHL-NYC are very connected and offer everything you seek.
^^I concur..... namely, Alexandria Virginia/Potamac River
https://www.visitalexandriava.com/th...-and-wellness/

Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times
Y'all from Dallas have to not to this. He wants to leave after a few years of giving the area a shot which seems reasonable to me.

I recommend any large city. In DFW, the type of people you are looking for are more centered in the areas DTXMan mentioned or the suburbs, not Uptown which sort of has a reputation for fraternity/sorority type of people. I'm not sure why because Uptown is considered the "hippest" part of Dallas and should theoretically attract art minded and well traveled people-unless Uptown just completely skipped the part with its supposed to be cool and went to gentrification.

Regardless of that, any other major city should offer the type of people you want. I recommend Seattle. Out of the popular outdoorsy cities, it has a large Asian population (Austin's and Denver's was disappointingly small), a change in seasons though Snow is uncommon, and great topography.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

In DFW, the type of people you are looking for are more centered in the areas DTXMan mentioned or the suburbs, not Uptown which sort of has a reputation for fraternity/sorority type of people. I'm not sure why because Uptown is considered the "hippest" part of Dallas and should theoretically attract art minded and well traveled people-unless Uptown just completely skipped the part with its supposed to be cool and went to gentrification.
Uptown is home to the Dallas Institute of Humanities & Culture: Dallas Institute of Humanities and Culture | Dallas Institute of Humanities and Culture

But in general, it caters more to a bar/nightlife scene than arts & culture. On the flipside, the Uptown trolley ends in the Dallas Arts District and Downtown & several neighborhoods do have architecture tours. Deep Ellum is covered in murals and Downtown has a lot of public art.

Even if he decides to move, there's still cultural things to do here in the meantime. The outdoor options are not the greatest so there's very little that can be done about that.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:34 AM

1,041 posts, read 522,212 times
From your list OP, based on what you've said, your best fit sounds like the Bay Area. I feel like you won't like the weather in Boston, Denver, or Chicago if you don't like snow/ice, but other than that they are also good fits. Probably moreso Boston and Chicago than Denver.

Some others I'd strongly consider if I were you:

Seattle
Los Angeles
Portland

And some others which, while maybe not quite as good fits based on your descriptions, I'd at least look into:

Atlanta
Austin
Houston
San Diego

Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,270,983 times
I love Denver, but the only way it's a good fit for you is if outdoor recreation is your #1 priority and the others aren't even close.

Denver is regrettably pretty provincial, and it's not very diverse (although it has a sizable Hispanic population). Denver also doesn't have much in the way of water, and like Dallas it's fairly flat and brown from July-March.

Austin is the only place in the Texas Triangle with a decent-ish outdoor scene, but compared to places like Seattle, Portland, Denver, Salt Lake, or Boise it's limited and weak. Dallas sucks if you're into outdoor activities not involving a tennis racket, a golf club, or a crowded, grimy reservoir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or