U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2018, 05:36 PM
 
5,706 posts, read 8,771,469 times
Reputation: 4928

Advertisements

Enterprise does not have good prices for one way rentals. Their business model is local rentals. Travelocity.com is good for comparing rental prices.

$1200/ 3 weeks does not seem like a good deal for a sedan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2018, 02:46 AM
 
Location: Chicago
124 posts, read 72,623 times
Reputation: 133
I made my reservation last night and I chose Budget. 750$ for a mid-size sedan for three weeks with CDW and free milage. Was the best deal I could find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 06:14 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,130 posts, read 17,160,797 times
Reputation: 9982
$750 for 3 weeks, sounds very low for a one way (no Drop Charge) With CDW,

Don't forget there will be taxes/fees of about $5-10/day on that in addition to the $750.

In the US we do not have a VAT tax, We have Sales Taxes that is put on to the sale after the fact at check out, It is not baked into the price. So once the purchase total is done. Then the Sales Taxes (amount varies by state and city/county) are added in.

Rental Cars also have "junk" taxes added in like Airport concession Fee, Registration Fees, Convention Center fee/taxes etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 05:27 PM
 
5,706 posts, read 8,771,469 times
Reputation: 4928
That is good for a one way rental.

I like that Travelocity computes the extra fees and taxes into their comparison page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 01:24 AM
 
Location: Chicago
124 posts, read 72,623 times
Reputation: 133
Here's the summary.

Volkswagen Jetta (or similar)
Estimated Total: $736.68

Base Rate: $620.68
Rental Options: $0.00
Protections/Coverages: $0.00
Surcharges/Fees: $108.00
Gross Receipts Taxes (3%) / County U
Drive It Tax (5%) : $8.00
One Way Fees : $100.00
Taxes: $8.00
Cover The Car (LDW)-INCLUDED
Third Party Liability-INCLUDED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 05:49 AM
 
Location: Chicago
124 posts, read 72,623 times
Reputation: 133
So I'm flying to Charlotte tomorrow and weather seems to be rather pleasant in the south but I'm a bit anxious driving north without winter tyres.
Can I visit a Budget affiliate on the way to get the tyres changed or should I buy snow chains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 AM
 
5,302 posts, read 3,329,341 times
Reputation: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
So I'm flying to Charlotte tomorrow and weather seems to be rather pleasant in the south but I'm a bit anxious driving north without winter tyres.
Can I visit a Budget affiliate on the way to get the tyres changed or should I buy snow chains?
I would guess the car would have all-season/weather tires which might not be as great as winter tires in the snow, but should be fine driving up through the Midwest.

I'm not sure what % of people in the Midwest have winter vs. all-season, I would guess most, not all, just have the all-season tires and are just fine driving around. When I think of chains, I think Colorado/Rocky Mountains, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, the Sierra Nevada in California and the mountains in Oregon and Washington where they have places to pull off and put your chains on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Chicago
124 posts, read 72,623 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I would guess the car would have all-season/weather tires which might not be as great as winter tires in the snow, but should be fine driving up through the Midwest.

I'm not sure what % of people in the Midwest have winter vs. all-season, I would guess most, not all, just have the all-season tires and are just fine driving around. When I think of chains, I think Colorado/Rocky Mountains, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, the Sierra Nevada in California and the mountains in Oregon and Washington where they have places to pull off and put your chains on.
Thank you. That makes me feel calmer.
I'm no fan of "all-season" tires and it's rare to see those in the winter here in northern europe. But I'm used to driving in snowy/icy conditions so i think I will be able to adapt my speed accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM
 
5,302 posts, read 3,329,341 times
Reputation: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
Thank you. That makes me feel calmer.
I'm no fan of "all-season" tires and it's rare to see those in the winter here in northern europe. But I'm used to driving in snowy/icy conditions so i think I will be able to adapt my speed accordingly.
Yeah, I grew up in Northeastern Pennsylvania and remember us having Summer and Winter tires back in the 70's and like most people we went all-season in the 80's.

I realize you want to try and see as much as you can in the three weeks you're here, but take your time, plan accordingly and watch the weather channel/local weather each night to see what's happening where you'll be and you should have no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top