U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:04 AM

124 posts, read 73,088 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have rented cars in the states before but never one-way and only in Florida, which has been fine. This time I'm going to rent a car one-way from Charlotte, NC and drive it up to Columbus, OH.
I just want to make sure I don't run into any issues or unexpected costs.

My questions are:
1. Which insurance is sufficient and has coverage for all states? I don't want to drive a car uninsured but I don't feel like paying a premium for excess reduction or whatever.
2. Which rental companies do you recommend? And what kind of cost is reasonable? I've seen some quotes around 1500$ for three weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:49 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,347,063 times
I used to work for Enterprise, usually they are a pretty good bet.

1) No one can answer the insurance question for you. I would recommend calling your insurance company and finding out what they cover for you. If you don't have auto insurance I would check with whoever does your home/renter insurance and see what products they offer. I know you can buy short term supplemental insurance in the US if go to Mexico.

2) For 3 weeks $1500 is not that bad. When getting the quote did you tell them it would be one way? There is usually a drop fee. Are you getting it from an Airport? They always have higher taxes.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:39 AM

Thank you!

1. I checked with my insurance company and they recommended LDW(CDW) - everything else should be fine.

2. Yes, the quote is for one-way. I asked enterprise for a quote and changed from the station at the airport to downtown and it was 'only' 1200$. Seems like a pretty good deal, eh?

Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM

21,267 posts, read 30,543,479 times
The lower quotes from the traditional companies seen more at the airports versus "local" are sometimes more competitive. I would recommend checking out Dollar which is now the low cost subsidiary of Hertz. Their rates are usually pretty much the lowest I have found in most markets.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 AM

Hi!
Do you know if it's possible to get a rental with 'real' winter tires in NC? I think I'm going to need that driving to Chicago in February..

Old 01-11-2018, 09:41 AM

2,911 posts, read 1,347,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
Hi!
Do you know if it's possible to get a rental with 'real' winter tires in NC? I think I'm going to need that driving to Chicago in February..
I highly doubt it, but you shouldn't need that driving to Chicago, roads should be clear.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:45 AM

9,141 posts, read 17,219,644 times
If you have a AMEX card you can add Car Rental Coverage (if you use your AMEX Card to pay for it), its around $19.95 per rental (not per day).

There are other (rental car) insurance companies, who do yearly coverage for ~$99/year. (Up around 30day per rental period).

Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I highly doubt it, but you shouldn't need that driving to Chicago, roads should be clear.
I hope so, weather can be treacherous in the region in february.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If you have a AMEX card you can add Car Rental Coverage (if you use your AMEX Card to pay for it), its around $19.95 per rental (not per day).

There are other (rental car) insurance companies, who do yearly coverage for ~$99/year. (Up around 30day per rental period).
I do! Thanks for the info.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:03 PM

9,141 posts, read 17,219,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snilsson View Post
I hope so, weather can be treacherous in the region in february.

I do! Thanks for the info.
Just noticed you are in Sweden , check with Amex to make sure its available to Non/US card holder. (You need to talk to them anyway to get signed up for it).

Old 01-12-2018, 07:11 PM

5,668 posts, read 3,770,515 times
My experience with one-way rental cars is it depends on where they need cars, and if they want to move inventory from one city to another, they will happily rent that car to you at a discount instead of shipping and/or driving it themselves. So it depends. Doesn't hurt to shop around for this kind of discount, but that takes some effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.