U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,868,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Or move to Bisbee, Arizona.....not too hot/not too cold.

Outside of CA, Bisbee climate is the best, and it’s green too! Quite treed.
It is not as dry as most of AZ, plenty of Arizona Live Oaks, leaves stay on year round.
A bit to the east is another small town to consider in addition to Bisbee ..... Silver City-New Mexico.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:14 AM

1,011 posts, read 638,736 times
In my experience, people in most of the interior West, in particular Colorado, Idaho and Utah, tend to be hedonistic and humorless.

I also found people in the interior West to be less sociable in the traditional sense than people in most other areas of the country. Their ideas around socialization are very different from people in California, the Midwest, the South, the Northeast, etc. I always assumed this was the product of high rates of Mormonism, which has many vices that are often highly correlated with socialization and human interaction (e.g., alcohol, smoking, coffee, etc.).

Additionally, people in these states tend to have similar interests and pursuits, be of similar ethnic composition and speak with similar accents. As you may infer, there is a lot of sameness. Coming from Southern California, I think this would present a huge culture shock - and not in the traditional sense (i.e., more white people). There are a lot of white people where I grew up in Rhode Island, but they all had their distinct nuances (i.e., Italian, Irish, Yankee, French, Polish, Portuguese, etc.).

People in Arizona are fairly different from people in the rest of the interior West due to more transplants from dynamic cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, St. Louis, Miami, etc. In a similar vein, people in New Mexico are fairly different from people in the rest of the region due to the Southern influence from Oklahoma and Texas in the eastern third of the state and high concentrations of Mexican and colonial Spanish heritage in the rest of the state.

Just food for thought.

Old 11-05-2017, 02:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Or move to Bisbee, Arizona.....not too hot/not too cold.

Outside of CA, Bisbee climate is the best, and itís green too! Quite treed.
It is not as dry as most of AZ, plenty of Arizona Live Oaks, leaves stay on year round.
Shh, don't tell the Californians

Old 11-05-2017, 02:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In my experience, people in most of the interior West, in particular Colorado, Idaho and Utah, tend to be hedonistic and humorless.

I also found people in the interior West to be less sociable in the traditional sense than people in most other areas of the country. Their ideas around socialization are very different from people in California, the Midwest, the South, the Northeast, etc. I always assumed this was the product of high rates of Mormonism, which has many vices that are often highly correlated with socialization and human interaction (e.g., alcohol, smoking, coffee, etc.).

Additionally, people in these states tend to have similar interests and pursuits, be of similar ethnic composition and speak with similar accents. As you may infer, there is a lot of sameness. Coming from Southern California, I think this would present a huge culture shock - and not in the traditional sense (i.e., more white people). There are a lot of white people where I grew up in Rhode Island, but they all had their distinct nuances (i.e., Italian, Irish, Yankee, French, Polish, Portuguese, etc.).

People in Arizona are fairly different from people in the rest of the interior West due to more transplants from dynamic cities such as New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Boston, St. Louis, Miami, etc. In a similar vein, people in New Mexico are fairly different from people in the rest of the region due to the Southern influence from Oklahoma and Texas in the eastern third of the state and high concentrations of Mexican and colonial Spanish heritage in the rest of the state.

Just food for thought.
That has more to do with rural isolation than cultural composition. Visiting rural Arizona and New Mexico will provide a similar experience. Especially given rural Arizona is mostly Mormon north of Phoenix. Mormons are usually heavily involved with their church, so as a non-Mormon it can be hard to befriend them as they have so much commitment to their church activities.

Due to mountains and such it's harder to get certain amenities like the Internet and most phone plans which really only appeal to people that are ok with more isolation and would be drawn to less social activities. It's hard to get service in most of Wyoming. Because of mountains, low density of people, and remoteness to large metros (though this is starting to change for the northern Interior West, see Boise) phone and internet companies don't see it as economically worth it. That's why even in comparison to rural Midwest or East they still have better modern day amenities due to flatter geography and a more even distribution of economic centers.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:13 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
You probably mean the people you have actually met in Colorado, Idaho and Utah, tend to be hedonistic and humorless. And even IF that's what you meant to say, it is still a rather broad generalization!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-05-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
"Hedonistic and humorless" WTF is that supposed to mean?

Do you even know the definition of hedonistic? You dropped that word and made no argument for it.

I think what you are trying to do is describe the mountain west as having a boring, sober, and homogeneous Mormon subculture? That isn't the definition of Hedonism.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:41 PM

2,804 posts, read 1,295,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
You probably mean the people you have actually met in Colorado, Idaho and Utah, tend to be hedonistic and humorless. And even IF that's what you meant to say, it is still a rather broad generalization!
Quite honestly, with that snooty New England attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't turn off a few folks along the way. I wouldn't want to be social with someone like that.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,144,969 times
Bert_from_back_East must not realize that the three states he mentioned are growing so much because "dynamic" Californians are moving to them. I know people in Boise who have moved here from "dynamic" cities such as *gasp* Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Portland, Boston, London, Paris, Bilbao...

I find it humorous when people who have never lived in a region try to portray themselves as being so scripted on what goes on and what people are like in said regions.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 AM

12 posts, read 23,904 times
Wow! I didn't expect so many amazing replies! So sorry for completely falling off the map. My twin girls were born in November and life has been ever crazy since.

Super appreciate all the feed back.

I'm going to attempt to give general responses rather than responding to everyone individually.

First - main reason we are looking to stay west is family. Both of our parents and my sister in law are in So. Cal. My sisters family is in Texas. Outside of that we don't see any other family.

My sister is in Dallas area (Frisco) as her husband got a job transfer from San Diego to out there. They really like it now and we are considering it due to the good school disctricts where they are and the option of being close to them and my niece and nephew.

So a lot of looking just west is the ability to travel to see family. Us to them and them to us.

With that said, I'm at the point where we are willing to open our considerations to further out, but I have zero familiarity outside of the west really. Maybe that's why I focused on it so much as well... I've been to pretty much every western state for multiple weeks so I have at least some idea of what they are like. East coast, south, mid-west - I just don't know anything about them and other than doing some research online, it would be hard to get a feeling for life there.

Ultimately that's what makes this so hard for us. We know we don't want to stay here (because of cost, if we felt we could afford it easier we would stay because we otherwise like the majority of So Cal and could deal with the other things we don't like such as politics), but don't have the experience of other places to really make an informed decision on where to go.

Like anyone, we want the best that we can get. Obviously there are HUGE gives and takes between places. Ideally, we want to be able to buy a decent 4BR house for $250k or less, have decent schools, crime rates at or below the national averages, have things to do, and not hate where we live due to weather.

Who ever said I am over thinking the bad weather in these places is probably very correct. I just haven't lived there and I just assume the worst. The best man in my wedding just moved to Boise 7 months ago and just got their first snow a bit ago. He's learning and dealing with the changes, but hes going with it and hasn't really complained yet. I know we can survive and will make it work. Like several of you have said, I'm from San Diego so largely any place is going to be a shock weather-wise.

If I'm being honest with myself, humidity would probably be the worst for me. I absolutely HATE sweating and I naturally sweat more than normal due to genetics.

I'm at such a loss and we need to make a decision soon. Our lease is up at the end of May and we don't want to stay here.

For job market, I work in IT but I'm not a developer so tech companies aren't a good prospect for me. I do IT operations or infrastructure management, so think servers, networks, databases, storage, vendors, end users. My best fit is at non tech companies with an IT department.

Boise is probably a good fit for us realistically. My biggest concern there is the job market. I'll be keeping my current job and able to work remotely, but I'll need to find a new job within the next 3 years probably. In places like Phoenix or Dallas I could likely get a job in the $80-110k range. I feel like I'd be hard pressed to make that in Boise, and even harder pressed to actually find work.

Like I said, everything is a juggle and I need to figure out what I'm willing to sacrifice. Ultimately I think I'm willing to sacrifice anything if I can get enough gains in other areas. In short, I'm looking for my perfect place that doesn't exist. For example Dallas. My sisters family is out there which would be awesome. Housing is cheaper than where I'm at now, but not necessarily so for other places I'm considering. They get crazy weather but less of the super extremes? Property tax seems so high that our budget over the next 3-5 years would be similar to San Diego with the exception that we would have a house instead of a condo. IE, a $250k house with a 20% downpayment would run around $1500-1600 a month with insurance and taxes included. The same price in Boise would be around $1,100 - $1,200, and we currently pay $1,650 for our 2 BR 1BA condo in San Diego.

For weather, I know places like Boise and Portland are not extreme. Portland area seems to actaully get really good temps, it's just wet all the time. I know I could adjust. Phoenix mostly has good weather but the summers scare me. Plus when our kids are off on summer break wouldn't I rather be somewhere that is awesome to go outside in the summer?

In terms of staying in California, Sacramento is a still a little out of our price range I think. Maybe when the wife goes back to work but that won't be for about 5 years since childcare would eat most of her wages. And yes, I'd probably be miserable in central valley California.

I should probably go to Boise. The job market just scares the crap out of me. My buddy moved there is working remotely for his company in San Diego. He's a call center manager for an insurance company. He told me he basically can't get a local job because there's no way he will make the same money. And it's not like he's making a crazy amount, $50-60k if I had to guess.

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place. I'm pretty exhausted and my brain doesn't work quite as fast these days taking care of twins! You are all super awesome and I'm so lucky a site like this and all of you exist to allow me to have this kind of conversation.

We are open to other areas. I've more recetly tried to start looking into some mid-west areas like Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas but while they are much cheaper, I don't know if I'd get the other things I'm looking for? Oh and I hear it's super humid out there lol.

Again, thanks so much everyone. I've got less than 4 months to figure this out and I'm starting to stress and freak out about it!

Last edited by SoCal_To_Where; 01-06-2018 at 02:25 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 09:00 AM

5,405 posts, read 2,813,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
"Hedonistic and humorless" WTF is that supposed to mean?

Do you even know the definition of hedonistic? You dropped that word and made no argument for it.

I think what you are trying to do is describe the mountain west as having a boring, sober, and homogeneous Mormon subculture? That isn't the definition of Hedonism.
Mormons hedonistic...hahahahhhahhhaaaaahahahaHAAAA! Wow, this one really takes the cake.

Ever seen what they got through during their migration? Hole-In-The-Wall, anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or