U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:34 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,129 times

Advertisements

Either New York (NYC accents, Inland North accent) or Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, central PA, and variations in between.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 06:05 AM

2,081 posts, read 2,897,290 times
Missouri has several different accents as well, but probably not as many as Florida as others have already noted.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:32 AM

500 posts, read 329,494 times
Virginia

We have the Tidewater accent in Hampton Roads, Tangier Island accent in and around the eastern shore, Old Southern American Accent in Richmond, Appalachian accents in the mountains, Eastern Tennessee accent in the western part of the state, strong southern accents in the southern portion of the state and non regional accents in NOVA.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 4,571 times
Ohio is surprisingly diverse in terms of it's accents. It really is a microcosm of the major dialect regions, with the NCVS nasal vowels along the Lake Erie coast, Pittsburgh-esque accents in the Eastern part, variants of Southern and Appalachian in the Southeast along the Ohio River, midland north-south hybrid accents, not to mention just plain old General American. Cincinnati even has it's own NYC influenced accent.

Just compare these videos of browns fans from Cleveland and another of a guy from around Marietta to get a sense of the accent diversity of the state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3noS_0IdrRo starts at 2:44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q0j0n-SXNo starts at 0:18

Old 10-27-2017, 09:12 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,138,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Either New York (NYC accents, Inland North accent) or Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, central PA, and variations in between.)

yes and MD may also

Eastern Shore is very distinct, Baltimore (urban areas around there) area then the Appalachian in the mountains west

For PA - strong Philly and Pittsburgh accents which sound pretty different, Amish and central PA accents, NE mountain accents (think Scranton) and also an Appalachian accent in much of the central/western rural areas. Not sure if Erie has a separate accent

Also for PA a smaller area like Reading has a pretty distinct local accent - the accents can change within 20 or 30 miles and be pretty different (Allentown isn't as strong a difference to me more a Philly lite whereas Reading can sound very distinct)

NYS has many as well

Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 AM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Should we really be counting transplants? I think for this purpose we should only be counting accents of natives and anyone who grew up there, mostly. I'd say a Midwestern state like Illinois has a huge range. Folks in the bottom of the state got a drawl like Kentucky, those in the far north got a hint of Wisconsin. Florida has diversity too, transplants and immigrants aside. You can find country ass accents, neutral sounding accents, slight southern accents, or the Miami Latin accent.. all in the same area, when only counting for natives. Hell some of my cousins in Live Oak got a mix of all 4 lol. If you include accents from the entire population I think New York City alone considering all the nationalities that immigrate and the transplants. But when counting only natives New York is much more homogenous in accents.

Also should add Louisiana. Some folks got a typical deep south accent, then you got the Cajuns, the Yats and the Creoles. All with distinct dialects and accents. And like any state you will find people who sound "general American" except maybe when they say certain words. (Ask someone to say "pecan" you might find out something about them lol)

Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 AM

2,068 posts, read 1,590,064 times
Texas: southern white (white upper south accent in north/ northeast texas, white lowers south accent in central/southeast texas), southern black (black upper south accent in north/northeast texas, black lower south accent in central/southeast texas), hispanic (multiple hispanic accents) cajun (in SE Texas), midwestern (in panhandle), german (in central texas), along with foreign immigrant accents.

Last edited by soletaire; 10-27-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 11:03 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
New Mexico has transplants from both coasts and the south and upper Midwest plus a couple Spanish dialects and a half-dozen Indian languages and then south Asian and Euro transplants. My favorite Taco guy is (east) Indian but was born in Kenya. My favorite barista is German. I play bocce with a bunch of Italians. You might hear five languages in a fast-food place but accents are harder to identify. My neighbors are from Connecticut, Pennsylvania and NYC via New Orleans and one native NM. I have friends that just moved here from near Cooperstown NY and they have an odd mix of NYC and New England accents. Albuquerque has an odd Anglo/Hispano accent. I'm from St. Louis and never thought I had an accent until I moved here and then had friends or relatives come to visit from home and they sounded very different after not hearing it in a few years.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM

6,544 posts, read 3,650,165 times
It wasn't all that long ago (couple decades) that it was predicted that regional accents would mesh into one "American" accent because of television. Didn't seem to happen. I remember in second grade we had a young teacher from Arkansas and by the end of the year we all talked like we were from Blytheville -- or "Blouvul".

Old 10-27-2017, 01:36 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,603,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Appalachian upstate NY also has some people who sound a tad Southern! And much of upstate NY has people who sound Midwestern. The people I heard in Binghamton who weren't NYC transplants sounded to me like they had a Midwestern kind of accent.
I find it interesting that Buffalo has a Midwestern accent...the Great Lakes accent not too different than Chicago or Milwaukee....while the Pittsburgh accent definitely is Northeastern and has little Midwestern influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or