U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 03:14 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,581,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
The Texas panhandle does not sound Midwestern. It may be geographically close to the Midwest but its still Texas. They sound similar to the rest of West Texas which is a Texas twang. (Oklahoma is similar) Also anyone in Texas who speaks in a GERMAN accent is from Germany not Texas. Just cuz their ancestry may be German (or Czech) does not mean "zey schpeak like zis."
Yes lol, I doubt there's anything resembling a German accent among any native Texans
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:41 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,302,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes lol, I doubt there's anything resembling a German accent among any native Texans
There are actually, believe it or not, still communities in central Texas where folks speak Texas German at home. Of course most of the 80 some odd thousand German speakers in Texas are from Germany, there are still a few thousand people who's families came over mid 19th century who speak still German at home. I actually met a woman like that once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_German

Of course her English was also flawless and sounded like everyone else from central TX.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM

406 posts, read 288,482 times
I'd say NY is up there. The Southern part of the state (Long Island/NYC) has the typical NY accent (that I'm cursed/blessed with ) meanwhile if you are in the middle of nowhere 5 hours north, it's completely different. I'd also throw in most transplant-y states like FL, NC, AZ and TX.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:32 AM

626 posts, read 575,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
I'd say NY is up there. The Southern part of the state (Long Island/NYC) has the typical NY accent (that I'm cursed/blessed with ) meanwhile if you are in the middle of nowhere 5 hours north, it's completely different. I'd also throw in most transplant-y states like FL, NC, AZ and TX.
Blessed. Its a cool accent. Better than General American.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:13 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,734,481 times
My home state of NY has been mentioned here already multiple times, and with good reason. If we are talking about accents native to the state specifically, NY has a broad variety of them. So many in fact that on a rather well known accent map it practically has its own bubble.

People here can speak differently just two or three counties apart. In some parts of the state people sound nearly Irish.

Another state with more home-grown variety than is often discussed is West Virginia. WV has several pockets of local accents, some very northern, some southern; and some almost pure Scottish (especially in some elderly folks).

Ohio, too, has several native accents.

I find that a lot of the great-lakes/Appalachian region has a myriad of accents.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,679,658 times
Ohio really does have some interesting linguistic things going on. I'm not sure why people think the only places with accents are basically New England and the South. There are definitely 5 distinct areas of Ohio in terms of culture and accent.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:30 PM

311 posts, read 218,529 times
Pennsylvania would be a top candidate. Philly, Pittsburgh, Pennsyltucky, Amish, and more.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
NYC itself has different accents

It has the stereotypical Paulie Walnuts one (which is actually more common in New Jersey) spoken mostly by older blue collar white people, the mainstream one (distinctly New York but relatively neutral sounding and not over the top), and the urban one (predominately used by blacks and Puerto Ricans)

Old 10-31-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
There are actually, believe it or not, still communities in central Texas where folks speak Texas German at home. Of course most of the 80 some odd thousand German speakers in Texas are from Germany, there are still a few thousand people who's families came over mid 19th century who speak still German at home. I actually met a woman like that once.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_German

Of course her English was also flawless and sounded like everyone else from central TX.
A few thousand is really a drop in the bucket, it must be rare to come across these people.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Blessed. Its a cool accent. Better than General American.
I live in New York and I find that the perception of our accent is skewed

People seem to think we all talk like Bugs Bunny or Mafioso, but that's not true, and probably never was.

If you live in Rhode Island, people where you live probably don't sound much different. Especially if you don't do the "cah" thing that Massachusetts folk do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or