U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 AM

158 posts, read 100,091 times

Advertisements

I identify with the U.S. most because I've lived so many different places over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 12:32 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,773,692 times
I would say city more than state, mainly because I have resided in or near the primate city (or other major city) in all the states in which I have lived. But I also get around the states in which I have lived so I strongly connect the states with their major city which is apparently a rarity.

I am most conscious of my American identity when I am traveling out of the country. Not to say I am anti-American in the least, but I am not really into 'rah-rah' patriotic symbolism.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

1,172 posts, read 664,004 times
I was born and raised in New Hampshire, but left at 18 for college because I absolutely hated it. I deliberately let go of my "New England-ness" when I moved. I moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia for college for 4 years, and have lived most of the last 3+ years in the city itself. I identify really only as a Philadelphian because I've spent almost my entire adult life in the city and it's where I feel most comfortable. I don't identify with Pennsylvania at all because I've never lived outside SEPA and haven't really traveled to other parts of the state. There isn't much worth anything outside Philly and Pittsburgh anyway, IMO.

I used to identify more as being an American, but after having traveled to different parts of the world and living for several months in another country, I've come to realize that America isn't all we crack it up to be. Also, our current President and political climate are an embarrassment, so it makes me even less likely to strongly identify nationally.

I guess now, thinking about it, I identify most closely as an Urban Person. I can feel just as comfortable living in New York or Paris or Shanghai as I would Philadelphia. But ask me to move to some small town in the middle of nowhere America? Yeah, no thanks.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:11 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,155,388 times
I identify with my home state primarily, with region a distant second place.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:29 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,144,228 times
I just say Colorado. If I say Colorado Springs, I usually get a response such as "Where's that, near Denver, right?" Too exhausting to explain that it's the country's 40th largest city (460,000), the state's 2nd largest metro (712,000) and home to the US Air Force Academy and the US Olympic Center. We are, to play on Reno's motto, "The Littlest Big City in the World".

Old 10-31-2017, 11:23 AM

17,739 posts, read 4,104,090 times
I see myself more as a Texan than American.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:29 AM

17,312 posts, read 19,591,548 times
I identify with Washington DC and New York City because these are the 2 cities I connect with the most in the U.S. After that, it’s Maryland and New Jersey. It’s always been that way.

I like Pennsylvania too though, as well as all of New England. Outside of these areas, I feel like I’m getting a little far from home.

Most of America is great to visit though.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 10-31-2017 at 11:39 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 AM

2,082 posts, read 2,904,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
When you self-identify, when you see yourself, which is the strongest: your city, state, region, or the US? The default, one would think, would be the nation, the United States. But we are all aware that in a state like Texas, many people see themselves more as Texans than Americans. The South, our most distinctive and set apart region, traditionally had many people who see themselves more as Southerners than Americans. Due to its global nature, one would think that in NYC, many see themselves more as New Yorkers.

It would be hard to argue that the glue that holds the US together is fraying in a deeply divided nation. If I had asked this question, let's say 50 years ago, I would think that the self-identity of the vast vast majority of Americans was the good ol' USA. Today, I think it would be far less. And, I suspect that national identity will continue to shrink.

So within the scope of geographical units/areas in our country, which is your greatest self-identity: city, state, region, nation? And why?

And the beauty of this thread, if it actually has some, would be that....obviously.....there are no wrong answers, a rarity on C/D.
Where I grew up, I identify with my region first and foremost. This region includes SE Missouri, far Southern Illinois, the Purchase region of Kentucky, NW Tennessee & NE Arkansas. I could never identify with my state as a whole (Missouri) because of how isolated it was from the rest of the state geographically & culturally. After that, I identify with the Upland South & then I identify as a rural American.

I suppose that I also identify with the quarter of the county that I grew up in as well. It is very rural with very steep hills & hard to access compared to the rest of the county. There are still lots of people who burn wood as their primary heat source & people do things in old fashioned ways, some by choice & others by necessity.

I live in West Tennessee now in an area that would be just outside the edge of what I consider to be my home region. It doesn't feel completely different but it is certainly not the same either.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:50 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,259,425 times
I guess I sort of identify as Texan first. I love DFW and the actual city I live in, and I do hope to stay and help improve the area, but I don't identify as strongly with that as I do as a Texan. I don't really identify as "American," there just seems to be so much hate between Americans from different regions and political views-why would I want to be a part of that? There have been plenty of times my "fellow Americans" treated me badly in person because I was from Texas and it seems the opposite (people in Texas treating outsiders badly) happens too, based on some posts on the forums. In Texas, the "hate" between areas, like Dallas-Fort Worth, Dallas-Houston, or even urban-suburban-rural, are just friendly, maybe intense, rivalries and while we may jokingly poke fun we aren't rude in the same way. I mean, you don't see people in El Paso or Austin saying we should not help Houston after Harvey and I am confident in saying that Texans, from across the state and across party lines, would join together if a major tornado was to clear through downtown Dallas or something.

Maybe it is because I would go often growing up, but I feel "closer" to El Paso, over five hundred miles away, than I do to Memphis, only four hundred miles away, or Little Rock, only three hundred miles away. And that is despite DFW, like the latter two, being in "the South," while El Paso is generally considered to be a part of a different region altogether. Similarly, I care much more about what happens in Brownsville or Laredo than I do about what happens in Chicago, Atlanta, or New York City.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:35 PM

506 posts, read 339,909 times
I had an interesting experience recently when I was in England (my first time out of the country in my 24 years of existence). I'm sure a lot of it had to do with the current political climate, but saying I was from California yielded a much more positive response than just saying I was from the United States.

Overall, it just depends where I'm at. Within California, I specify East LA as where I reside. Outside California, the blanket "Los Angeles area" works.

Like Parhe above, I love Los Angeles and intend to stay long enough to help make it better; however I feel like I more strongly identify as an Angeleno than I do Californian or American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or