U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 PM

71 posts, read 37,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I find my city extremely embarrassing and think my state is the worst in the USA. I identify as an individual. My self identity is not based any location.
On one hand, thatís healthy. On the other hand, you might want to look at a realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 PM

2,696 posts, read 2,347,809 times
I identify with the state, Phoenix has too much California influence that I don't care for myself.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 2,828,597 times
I identify most strongly as a Virginian, then a Californian, then an American, then a southerner, but there are qualifiers to all:

--I live in Virginia Beach, but I have only been here 9 months and it's a very different kind of Virginia than what I'm used to. I find myself deferring my identity more to California while I'm here, but I've also lived in Northern Virginia and Richmond area, so I do consider myself overall a Virginian more than anything...
--I left California as a child but as an adult I've grown closer to my California roots (I'll be 29 this year and was born in Sacramento and went to grade school in Los Angeles). There is probably a part of California that never left me, but this reintroduction to family since I was 21 (and I'll be back again next Thursday for a week) has strengthened my identity as a Californian...
--i definitely view myself as an American but it's not my first association...
--a small part of my identification is as a southerner, because I'm a transplanted southerner who has lived in five southern states (the only non-South states I've lived in are California and New York). I have family throughout the South so these two things coupled together make sense for me to represent as a southerner, but it's neither a first or top identification for me...

*bonus: there is a small part of me that identifies as an Upstate New Yorker. Not fully, and it's not something I introduce myself as, but there is something very agreeable about New York to me. Sometimes I joke and tell people I'm an honorary New Yorker (Upstater), and I really believe that...

I guess this just really means I should stick to American as an identifier. I'm not fully anything (I'm not typically Virginian, fully Californian, fully southern). I'm some weird amalgamation of all of these...

Old 04-13-2018, 11:03 PM

6,559 posts, read 13,757,161 times
My home will always be Chicago, but I have heavily adopted my "new" city of Louisville, which I have lived in off and on since the late 90s, usually in 3-5 year stints.

I was born in Chicago, moved to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, St Louis, spent stints in FL, NY, and California.

I've now traveled to every top 50 major metro and also 90% of top 100 metros. I am more interested in the top 100 largest metros so now I am re visiting many cities I spent less then a week in. It's definitely fun, and I do tons of travel for work.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:47 AM

901 posts, read 766,192 times
Virginian, Richmonder, American. In that order.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 AM

18,524 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I identify as a Southerner and American equally. ALthough especially with all the radical cultural changes on the national level in the past 10 years or so sometimes I wonder if I'm truly a typical American anymore. But here in the South, most people are like me culturally, religiously, and lifestyle wise. I watch the news and feel like the rest of America seems to have gone crazy sometimes but there is still a lot of common sense and good traditional values here in Louisiana (I live in an "exurban" area outside Baton Rouge and was raised in a conservative New Orleans suburb that is worlds apart from the city itself) and I find that very comforting. I do feel that the Deep South is where traditional American values and patriotism is strongest. (many people who hate the Confederate also hate the American flag such as Colin Kaepernick's supporters and the SJW always coming out of the woodwork these days....the people who want statues of Confederate heroes removed are cut from the same cloth as people who say we shouldn't honor George Washington or Christopher Columbus).

I lived 4 truly wonderful years in West Virginia in the southern part of that state and the culture there to me was still Southern with many similarities to Louisiana.

After that I think of myself as a Louisianan and then as an American. I definitely see myself as an American more than I see myself as a "World citizen" and I identify with being Southern, Louisianan, American, and Christian more than I do with my race/ethnicity. I do have equally sized American and Confederate flags hanging in my house.
I grew up in Louisiana but have spent my adult life mostly in Oregon and Washington. I consider myself in this order Christian, Libertarian, American, Conservative. I consider myself a West Coast but southern influenced person.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:35 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,735,887 times
I am in a outlier group who identify more with a region rather than state/city/county.

Here's a breakdown of my definition of self-

I am firstly from the twin tiers of NY and PA. Secondly I am from northern Appalachia. Thirdly I am from the northeastern US/upper mid-Atlantic.

I never really call myself a New-Yorker, as that name has more to do with NYC in my lizard brain, and I do not feel attached to that area or culture at all.

I only call myself American if I am speaking to somebody from another country.

I often introduce my point of origin immediately as the twin tiers rather than NY. If I do say NY state I always specify that I mean upstate. If I am far away from home and do not want to explain that I am not from NYC for the 8,000,000,000th time, I simply introduce myself as from Pennsylvania, as it is partially true and close enough.

When I lived in Louisiana it was a curious case. In Louisiana I would introduce myself as being from "the mountains up north", often then just saying Pennsylvania if asked further (I learned very fast that saying NY was more trouble than it was worth). However, when outside of Louisiana I introduced myself as being from Louisiana.

I suppose while I was always proud of elements from NY state, I was never proud of being from NY state. This state's reputation has little to do with who I am as a person, and how I was raised, and it alienates me to be called a New Yorker. Kind of sad, actually. Worse yet, I know I am not alone in that sentiment.

Last edited by CookieSkoon; 04-14-2018 at 11:45 AM..

Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 AM

6,800 posts, read 11,772,651 times
Can I say that I don't identify with any city, state, or even country but I identify most with the Internet?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:53 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Seattle
Washington
Pacific Northwest (including SW British Columbia)
US
World

Old 04-15-2018, 01:50 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Even abroad I identify more strongly as Texan. I get excited or raise my eyebrow whenever I meet another Texan outside of the country but I don't care much about meeting another American outside of the country.

This is how I feel, though generally I self identify as an American first and foremost. But when I'm outside the US, and someone asks where I'm from, I don't say "the US," I say "Texas." And nearly every single time I say "Texas," they break out into a big grin.

I'd say on US soil, I self identify as first an American, second a Southerner, and third, a Texan. In Texas I identify as "from northeast Texas" or "near Dallas" because Texas is so big that people like some perspective of "whereabouts you're from."

True story: A few years ago my husband and I were wandering around near the British National Gallery in London, and we saw a couple walking toward us with a sense of purpose - they were complete strangers and we had never seen them before but they made eye contact from about a block away and started striding toward us - thankfully with friendly expressions on their faces. When they got up to us, they said, "Are y'all from Texas?" (We didn't have on any clothing that identified us as Texans, I might add.) We laughed and said, "Yes, and you must be too!" They were, and as we struck up a conversation we asked how they knew we were from Texas. The husband said, "I don't know - I could just tell by the way you were walking and interacting with each other." We said, "From a block away! My gosh, were we that loud?" He laughed and said, "No, I couldn't hear you but it was just the way you were carrying yourselves and talking with each other."

Goodness.

One time my husband and I were in Fort Worth and he wanted to get his boot shined. He was sitting in the shoe shine booth and a bunch of Japanese tourists came by and they asked if they could take his picture. Now - he wasn't wearing cowboy clothes, other than jeans and cowboy boots (just a regular shirt and no cowboy hat). But we laughed and said, "Go ahead, we don't care!" and the whole gaggle of them - about fifteen people - started taking pictures of him getting his boots shined.

Oh well. I'm not ashamed to be a Texan so I sort of get a kick out of it.

One time in Germany, I heard a distinctly Texas accent in a store. I turned the corner and said to the guy, "Are you from Texas?" He laughed and said, "No, but the guy who taught me to speak English is from Texas and people tell me I picked up his accent!" And one other time there, I heard two women in a store speaking English with Texas accents and when I got up closer to them, I realized they were FROM OUR FORMER CHURCH. This was in a tiny little town, in a drug store, not a touristy spot, in the Black Forest. Needless to say, we were all pretty surprised at that.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-15-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or