Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 07:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

When you self-identify, when you see yourself, which is the strongest: your city, state, region, or the US? The default, one would think, would be the nation, the United States. But we are all aware that in a state like Texas, many people see themselves more as Texans than Americans. The South, our most distinctive and set apart region, traditionally had many people who see themselves more as Southerners than Americans. Due to its global nature, one would think that in NYC, many see themselves more as New Yorkers.

It would be hard to argue that the glue that holds the US together is fraying in a deeply divided nation. If I had asked this question, let's say 50 years ago, I would think that the self-identity of the vast vast majority of Americans was the good ol' USA. Today, I think it would be far less. And, I suspect that national identity will continue to shrink.

So within the scope of geographical units/areas in our country, which is your greatest self-identity: city, state, region, nation? And why?

And the beauty of this thread, if it actually has some, would be that....obviously.....there are no wrong answers, a rarity on C/D.

Last edited by edsg25; 10-28-2017 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 07:29 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 9 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 978,334 times
I would first say I'm from Central PA. Also, but more importantly I would identify as an American. America is so large you have to narrow it down to be more specific.

Also, as far as a large region, the Northeast is a pretty generic descriptor, and therefore I wouldn't use it. First of all it is confusing as far as what is NE (some arguing MD, DE, WV not included, some arguing Mid Atlantic is a descriptor, is Pittsburgh really midwestern? -strange argument IMO). It's not as big a deal/as commonly used as "the South" or "the West Coast" or "New England" (part of the NE). Honestly I think "the Bos-Wash corridor" is even a more commonly used descriptor than "the Northeast" .

Old 10-28-2017, 08:52 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,429 times
City. The city is the actual, specific place that a person lives in.

State and Country borders mostly exist for political reasons. For example in my State I don’t identify at all with Niagara Falls or Buffalo since they are 300 miles away. I’d be quicker to identify with Jersey City, NJ since it is right next door to me despite the fact that it’s across State lines.

And then The USA as a whole is just way too big. There are places in the USA thousands of miles away from me that really couldn’t be much more different than NYC, where I live, so I don’t really identify with them at all.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:17 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,482 times
Minnesota or Twin Cities.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:46 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
I think because I'm a Philadelphia transplant in New Mexico (and don't feel entirely at home with the culture here), I identify more with the U.S. This is compounded by my sense that parts of the west could really end up breaking away from the United States at a future time. It didn't feel that different to me when I first moved here, but the longer I stay, the more different it feels.

Old 10-28-2017, 02:38 PM

8,863 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Seattle.

Then region...Portland-Seattle-Vancouver.

Nationality is important, but once you visit other countries they feel like home too in a way, especially if you've spent a lot of time in them.

It's like neighbors. They might be the annoying people next door, but then you meet them and their quirks are the funny thing the neighbors do.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:01 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
It has varied.

Right now, I identify with a specific region of the state I'm living in--Northwest PA.

The area I am from is Central New York; sometimes simply Upstate NY to differentiate it from NYC.

When I lived in MI, I identified with "Detroit Metro Area".

In Louisiana, I simply identified with New Orleans.

In Tennessee, it was West TN.

Kentucky was simply Owensboro, KY.

Old 10-28-2017, 04:35 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,264,990 times
I would say region I guess. Although it sort of depends on familiarity and culture.

I consider myself an Idahoan, but I'm comfortable in all the neighboring states as well. Mountain West/ PNW then "flyover country" secondarily. My folks are from the midwest so I'm comfortable there. I only briefly lived in Alaska over a summer but defiantly identify more with Alaska and their values than Florida or New England or something.

Abroad I absolutely feel "American" although since I've spent a good amount of time in Italy I feel more at home in Rome than NYC or DC even though I'm not Italian and my Italian skills are so so.

I've lived in Texas 7 years but I don't feel totally Texan, but I've been making an effort to read Texas history to understand my current home better.

I think it is inevitable that the country will break up, which while kinda sad is just how things work. There is no longer any common American values holding us together besides generic terms like "Freedom" which no one actually agrees on the definition anymore. I guess we are all consumers, so yay for sharing in that global culture, we both have iphones, congrats. lol

Old 10-28-2017, 04:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I think, American. I was born in MA, but I lived and raised my children in Ohio. Now I live in GA, but have no emotional ties here.
If you are asking which state I’m from, I’d say Ohio, although I love still feel my core roots are in New England.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:09 PM

21 posts, read 17,567 times
Given the current political climate, I actually see myself as American more than I see myself as a human.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.