U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:30 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Eastern Washington sounds like the best bet given everything you listed.
I agree, especially given the desire for quality medical care nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,728,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawneeAlice View Post
Also, I have a particular interest in Spokane, WA, if anyone has any input for that area for me?
I lived there for almost 3 years, great city but the snows can be pretty heavy some years.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:36 PM

993 posts, read 4,340,882 times
Quote:
Also, I have a particular interest in Spokane, WA, if anyone has any input for that area for me?
We moved to the Spokane area from Florida in 1998 -- much drier here, but we do have a real winter which can feel like it lasts 4 months (Nov-Feb) There are lots of areas with acreage around here, lots of horse/animal people and very good medical facilities all within 30-45 minutes of the outlying areas of town. You can PM me if you have any other specific questions. I can tell you that our move to WA was a really good one - my kids grew up here and we only go visit family in FL during the winter here.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,635,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I live in Star Valley Wyoming and we love it a lot. We haven't found the people here to be clannish and unhelpful, rather the people have been friendly and welcoming to us. We moved here from California last year.

You can find land with acreage and as long as you don't buy in a development with a home owners association I think you shouldn't have an issue with that many animals.

The weather is much cooler than Florida, we do get some below zero temperatures and a good amount of snow, but we acclimated easily and where we lived before we never had any snow. It has four seasons here which I love!

Medical facilities are pretty good, there's a hospital in Afton, which is nice, but they don't have everything there, they'll refer you to St. John's in Jackson, or over to the hospital in Idaho Falls for the major stuff. Both the Jackson hospital and the Idaho Falls hospital have been good to me.

There are not a lot of restaurants and stores here, the most being in Afton. Costco is over in Pocatello two hours away, and Sam's Club is in Idaho Falls, an hour and a half or more away. K-mart in Jackson is an hour away. We're a very rural community you'd have to adjust to the lack of options when it comes to eating out, and shopping. Amazon.com is a must for the things you need that you can't get in town.

We've been very happy since moving here, and while it doesn't check everything on your list, I thought I'd throw it out there. Best of luck finding a new place to call home.
If non-coastal Westerners are going to be clannish to anybody it's Californians. If they aren't being clannish to Californians in a certain area, that's a really good sign.

Though OP I'm not sure if Wyoming is good for you on the healthcare front. If I were you I'd stick to Washington or South Dakota.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:54 AM

3,078 posts, read 2,111,256 times
Quote:

2) I can not and will not tolerate FL summers anymore. I need to find an area that does not come close to FL summer's heat and humidity. But I also have never lived where it snows, so I'm not sure I want to go to a place that regularly blizzards or something. I am fine with moderate snow during the winter, but hopefully nothing super crazy. And I could definitely handle a few summer days of like 90 degree heat, but not for as long as it drags on in FL. I WANT SEASONS, REAL ONES, where the leaves change color!!! And I want REAL trees that don't start with "palm"

4) I have a skin condition which requires me to live in an area with good healthcare/doctors/dermatologists.

These two points here...Wyoming and the Dakotas get snow, sometimes extreme snow, with blizzards. Maybe not regularly as an ongoing occurence, but they are not uncommon in winter months.

Also, is you skin condition better or worse with dry conditions. Again, Wyoming, Dakatas and big swathes of Texas are seriously dry. Like dry out you skin and sinus' until your nose bleeds kind of dry.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:47 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,443,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
These two points here...Wyoming and the Dakotas get snow, sometimes extreme snow, with blizzards. Maybe not regularly as an ongoing occurence, but they are not uncommon in winter months.

Also, is you skin condition better or worse with dry conditions. Again, Wyoming, Dakatas and big swathes of Texas are seriously dry. Like dry out you skin and sinus' until your nose bleeds kind of dry.

It's actually not that dry in most of South Dakota. I live in the western part and the humidity is noticeably lower, but not so dry that my nose bleeds. There is humidity in the eastern part of the state.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:45 AM

3,549 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Western North Carolina near Asheville would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or