Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:19 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Richmond VA could use light rail
I agree. How do you feel about the BRT they are currently constructing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Was there a couple years ago, and the buses in WPB/PB ran very infrequently then. Maybe they've improved in the last 4-5 years? Hope so.

And yes, both WPB and FtL have at least one Tri-Rail stop, though none are conveniently located to city center. But they don't have any kind of light rail subway-like system. Miami does, and Tampa has an extremely limited streetcar line, but best I can remember that's it for subway-type systems in Florida.

Edit: Brightline looks interesting, and very badly needed. Glad that's gong to happen.

Jacksonville has an elevated, automated people mover. I rode it once, just for the experience. I can't see how it could have the slightest impact on traffic mitigation or anything; it felt more like an amusement park ride than anything else. Ditto for the Tampa streetcar, which I also rode one time, just to do it.

Of all Florida cities, only Miami has any real rail transit that is anything more than a glorified theme-park ride. South Florida also has commuter rail, as does Orlando.

I agree that Brightline looks promising, though it would have been better if it had followed the Florida Turnpike inland between West Palm Beach and Orlando instead of following I-95 up to Cocoa and then turning inland. Or, alternately, they should add a stop at Cocoa to draw some more ridership from that area. But even so, it still seems like it's got real potential, and I hope it succeeds.

As for Palm Tran, the route that runs by where I used to live operates every 20 minutes during weekdays and every 30 minutes Saturdays and Sundays, going as late as 10:00 p.m. (6:00 on Sundays). I would have killed for that level of service when I lived there!

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Why are people mentioning Cincinnati when it has light rail?
I say Louisville and Richmond.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:01 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Yeah, I forgot about Louisville, it is in need of a Light rail system for sure, one that connect South Indiana to the mix. As far as Cincinnati is concerned, it's really just a Street Car system.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:17 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
Quote:
Cincinnati does not have light rail. It has one of those little streetcars that go almost nowhere around in a tight circle, but is not used for commuting or serious tranportation. Basically a whimsical tourist type thing.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:34 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Cincinnati does not have light rail. It has one of those little streetcars that go almost nowhere around in a tight circle, but is not used for commuting or serious tranportation. Basically a whimsical tourist type thing.
Much like Detroit's People Mover and new Q line street car!

Old 11-01-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I'm confused. What's the difference between a streetcar and lightrail in this case? All the light rail systems I've seen are visually the same as what Cincinnati has.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
I'm confused. What's the difference between a streetcar and lightrail in this case? All the light rail systems I've seen are visually the same as what Cincinnati has.
Light rail has its own dedicated right of way, so it doesn't have to stop at traffic signals and the like (except when the rail line actually crosses a street, which should be rare). A streetcar is right on the road, which means it by nature can't go faster than a bus (and unlike a bus, can't change its route if it's obstructed).

Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 AM

50 posts, read 31,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
What are the most Urban US Cities that don't have a Subway/HRT or Light rail Transit system but should have or in desperate need of one? It's one City that comes in the Number 1 Spot for this and in my opinion was a major injustice the City never constructed one. "Detroit" I'm sure there are other cities that come to mind as well.
*Raleigh NC
*Columbus OH
*Memphis, TN

Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Light rail has its own dedicated right of way, so it doesn't have to stop at traffic signals and the like (except when the rail line actually crosses a street, which should be rare). A streetcar is right on the road, which means it by nature can't go faster than a bus (and unlike a bus, can't change its route if it's obstructed).
The main two streetcar lines here have their own right of way, yet are all subject to street traffic. We call them streetcars as a cultural thing but I've always referred to them as light rail. As far as I know, they are both at grade and are structurally the same with the same class of train cars being used.

I've always used the two as the sane thing. Here's a good read for people like me Streetcars vs Light Rail ... Is There a Difference? — Human Transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.