U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 01:03 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Eh, DC has good parks and cultural institutions, but itís nothing special in the outdoors department. No recreational lake, not much in the way of camping and hiking, and a pretty bad climate.
Most of the metros that are better than DC in that department are west of the Mississippi River.

Weather-wise, DC gets a more brutally hot July/August than New England or Chicago, but also gets more extended Autumn weather.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 01:21 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,351,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No it is not...geesh. I like Boston was quite surprised by how sleepy it is at night when I visited a few years back.

Just to add. I got this same feeling the first time I visited Berkeley CA. A small city full of students. But it didn't look very lively to me at night except for a few el cheapo restaurants and some movie houses a few blocks from campus. Maybe the kids all spend weekend nights in Oakland or San Fran or somewhere else. And someone did tell me that the student body is very work focused now to a degree it wasn't years ago. Could be. For a big college town it looked pretty sleepy to me.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:24 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Just to add. I got this same feeling the first time I visited Berkeley CA. A small city full of students. But it didn't look very lively to me at night except for a few el cheapo restaurants and some movie houses a few blocks from campus. Maybe the kids all spend weekend nights in Oakland or San Fran or somewhere else. And someone did tell me that the student body is very work focused now to a degree it wasn't years ago. Could be. For a big college town it looked pretty sleepy to me.
It seems as though nightlife in California in general doesn't really match up with the state's overall profile.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:31 PM

8,731 posts, read 7,689,841 times
Quote:
No it is not...geesh. I like Boston was quite surprised by how sleepy it is at night when I visited a few years back.
Boston really doesn't have anything happening in terms of nightlife that you can't find in cities half its size.

For the record, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I feel like the people in Boston who value nightlife end up just moving a bit away to New York. So it's largely a non-issue. As for the students, they will mostly congregate in their own little collegey areas. If you are looking for student nightlife downtown, you won't find it, but you will find it in Allston (though it's not particularly great nightlife).

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,979 posts, read 3,462,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Eh, DC has good parks and cultural institutions, but itís nothing special in the outdoors department. No recreational lake, not much in the way of camping and hiking, and a pretty bad climate. DCís winters are worse than most people think, and summers are unbearably hot and humid.

Youíre right about the personality of the city. Iíve never been anywhere where people were more obsessed with their work, and talking about their work in social situations. Itís not as if people in New York, Boston and Silicon Valley arenít supremely ambitious and focused on their careers. They just know how to leave that **** at work.
DC has rivers, that are used for recreation, not a lake. The Chesapeake Bay is used for that 30 miles away, so it gets a check in that department. Also hiking, white water rafting, horseback riding, and camping are all within the MSA of DC, again more points on "fun". If climate is "bad" in DC, then every city from Boston down to VA at least is a "bad" climate, so idk where that came from. This summer had 2/3 max even close to unbearable weeks. October was absolutely beautiful weather, and our Spring season is among the best. Last winter we had 70 degree weather into January and our 2nd warmest December on record. Have you spent extended time in DC before? Funny that you think it has bad weather when I believe it has actually some of the best 4 seasons weather, and one of the least natural disaster prone regions of the country.

I've noticed that about 90% of your post regarding DC and or the DC area are typical non fact based and solely opinionated. Bias is one thing, but continued mis-characterization makes a troll you know?

So again and back on topic, outside of an immediate real beach area in the immediate city/MSA what is it missing for fun?

Old 10-31-2017, 03:46 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,403,806 times
D.C. definitely has plenty of "play". I don't think its nightlife is necessarily as strong as it could be given how large the metro area is but I've had plenty of fun in Dupont, H and U Streets, Adams Morgan etc. Not to mention the city runs on happy hours and boozy brunches.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:24 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Boston really doesn't have anything happening in terms of nightlife that you can't find in cities half its size.

For the record, I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. I feel like the people in Boston who value nightlife end up just moving a bit away to New York. So it's largely a non-issue. As for the students, they will mostly congregate in their own little collegey areas. If you are looking for student nightlife downtown, you won't find it, but you will find it in Allston (though it's not particularly great nightlife).
In general people stay in their neighborhoods, Dorchester people hang at Dorchester places, Roxbury people hang at Roxbury places, Southie People (the townies) hang at Southie places etc. Downtown is much less the social center of the city than in other similarly sized cities like Seattle, Atlanta, or DC that has much less distinct neighborhoods.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In general people stay in their neighborhoods, Dorchester people hang at Dorchester places, Roxbury people hang at Roxbury places, Southie People (the townies) hang at Southie places etc. Downtown is much less the social center of the city than in other similarly sized cities like Seattle, Atlanta, or DC that has much less distinct neighborhoods.
DC doesn't belong in that category; the core neighborhoods are absolutely the center of social life in DC while downtown is a bit weak on that front. And I certainly wouldn't say its neighborhoods are "much less distinct." Sounds like you haven't spent any time in Georgetown, Adam's Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, etc.

Atlanta's social scene is concentrated in Midtown but you can definitely hang out in several core neighborhoods that have their own commercial districts with restaurants, bars, etc. like Edgewood, Little Five Points, Va-Hi, East Atlanta Village, Inman Park, etc.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times
Quote:
DC doesn't belong in that category; the core neighborhoods are absolutely the center of social life in DC while downtown is a bit weak on that front. And I certainly wouldn't say its neighborhoods are "much less distinct." Sounds like you haven't spent any time in Georgetown, Adam's Morgan, Dupont Circle, U Street, etc.

Atlanta's social scene is concentrated in Midtown but you can definitely hang out in several core neighborhoods that have their own commercial districts with restaurants, bars, etc. like Edgewood, Little Five Points, Va-Hi, East Atlanta Village, Inman Park, etc.
In Boston it isn't the core neighborhoods, its the outer neighborhoods, Eastie, Charlestown, Dorchester, Southie, Brighton are pretty geographically distant (or have a geographic barrier) from central Boston, it is my understanding that Dupont Circle and Georgetown would be more like the South End or Beacon Hill than Roxbury or East Boston.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In Boston it isn't the core neighborhoods, its the outer neighborhoods, Eastie, Charlestown, Dorchester, Southie, Brighton are pretty geographically distant (or have a geographic barrier) from central Boston, it is my understanding that Dupont Circle and Georgetown would be more like the South End or Beacon Hill than Roxbury or East Boston.
My point was that DC's social scene doesn't revolve around downtown at all. I actually thought that was fairly well-known on this forum, at least for those familiar with East Coast cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or