U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 PM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
My point was that DC's social scene doesn't revolve around downtown at all. I actually thought that was fairly well-known on this forum, at least for those familiar with East Coast cities.
I meant core areas, so from Back Bay to the North End, so Gtown+Downtown+Chinatown+DuPont Circle would The the eqivilant Dorchester is more like DC south of the Anacostia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I meant core areas, so from Back Bay to the North End, so Gtown+Downtown+Chinatown+DuPont Circle would The the eqivilant Dorchester is more like DC south of the Anacostia.
Well you can remove downtown from that list for DC. And DC also has several outer neighborhoods that are socially active like Takoma Park, Friendship Heights, etc.

But even Boston's core areas are a deadzone for nightlife/socializing? That's even more weird.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,986 posts, read 3,464,485 times
Let's not overlook cities can have daytime "play" as well. Many of these cities have lots of activity/activities festivals, events, marathons, races, day parties etc as something "to do" beyond nightlife.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:52 AM

9,385 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Quote:
Well you can remove downtown from that list for DC. And DC also has several outer neighborhoods that are socially active like Takoma Park, Friendship Heights, etc.

But even Boston's core areas are a deadzone for nightlife/socializing? That's even more weird.
Not a dead zone but less of the total amount of nightlife that you would expect, it's more dispersed.

Pittsburgh might be a good comparison, functionally there are a bunch of Towns that happen to be incorporated into the city and each of them have their own Square that is the center of social life in that neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:14 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Not a dead zone but less of the total amount of nightlife that you would expect, it's more dispersed.

Pittsburgh might be a good comparison, functionally there are a bunch of Towns that happen to be incorporated into the city and each of them have their own Square that is the center of social life in that neighborhood.
Very interesting. I'm certainly aware that outer neighborhoods can have their own commercial districts where people socialize, but I'm used to cities where a greater concentration happens in the urban core (downtown and/or surrounding neighborhoods).

When I was in Boston a few years back, the initial plan was to go to Providence for nightlife that Friday night but we just wound up taking a trip to NYC instead.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:06 AM

22,158 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I would tend to agree. NYC has incredible nightlife/ stuff to do in general, but I feel like people often overate it as "A tier above everything" when that isn't necessarily true.

NYC might have better nightlife and a later closing time, but there is more to having "stuff to do" than being able to drink in a bar till 4am. The bay area not only has great places to eat and plenty of art but it's proximity to a huge range out outdoors things is a class above NYC (and most of the country) Also, no other metro area is as close to a wine region on par with the Napa Valley.

Some people might find NYC more entertaining to them, but I don't think it's this tier above everything that some people make it out to be unless you are talking about very specific things like tall buildings, fashion, or finance etc.
Itís a tier above everything overall. There are going to be places nearly as good or even better when it comes to certain things, but nothing comes close when you take a step back and see that NYC is either dominant or has a good showing in virtually every single somewhat meaningful metric culturally or economically. It doesnít mean itís the best fit for eveyone.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:07 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,396,261 times
San Jose, DC gotta work to afford those high priced environs.

Old 11-01-2017, 02:07 PM

506 posts, read 339,226 times
Quote:
It seems as though nightlife in California in general doesn't really match up with the state's overall profile.
I can't speak for the Bay Area, but living in LA, the nightlife seems to concentrate in certain areas with surrounding areas being quieter. Hollywood, Echo Park, West Hollywood, Hermosa Beach, DTLA, Fullerton by CSUF, Long Beach...all those areas are hopping on a weekend (even weekday night, sometimes) based on my experiences.

But, I also lived in Las Vegas for 3 months...so far, nothing has come close to that nightlife in terms of grandeur and length of time people are out partying

Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM

8,735 posts, read 7,693,706 times
Quote:
In general people stay in their neighborhoods, Dorchester people hang at Dorchester places, Roxbury people hang at Roxbury places, Southie People (the townies) hang at Southie places etc. Downtown is much less the social center of the city than in other similarly sized cities like Seattle, Atlanta, or DC that has much less distinct neighborhoods.
Pretty much. Though I don't think it has anything to do with distinct neighborhoods. Actually a more likely reason in my opinion is that people stay in their own neighborhood because it basically has the same nightlife offerings as any other, so why make the unnecessary trip?

Old 11-01-2017, 03:59 PM

3,509 posts, read 7,318,708 times
I would think any city where the job sector is largely blue-collar(truck driving/transportation, construction, etc) or low level office jobs where employees work long hours (more than 40hrs/week) will fit the description of "All Work, No Play".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or