Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You know what? I’m going to walk that back. DC has reasonable nightlife offerings. It definitely is no Boston. It HAS improved in recent years. I wasn’t being fair. What I don’t like is DC’s non-black nightlife crowd.
Well what's right about your premise is that DC is definitely a "work based" city, there is a definite hustle and bustle based around working/careers that cannot be denied. However, the play options are very plentiful in the area too. I'm going beyond "nightlife" which we typically hone in on, the day time "play" options are in abundance too, beyond having a beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Not just DC proper, but the entire DC area is undergoing rapid changes that are surprising to witness.

DC has to be among the most exciting cities to live in right now and over the next 10 years.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:51 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
You know what? I’m going to walk that back. DC has reasonable nightlife offerings. It definitely is no Boston. It HAS improved in recent years. I wasn’t being fair. What I don’t like is DC’s non-black nightlife crowd.
No it is not...geesh. I like Boston was quite surprised by how sleepy it is at night when I visited a few years back.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:53 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Well what's right about your premise is that DC is definitely a "work based" city, there is a definite hustle and bustle based around working/careers that cannot be denied. However, the play options are very plentiful in the area too. I'm going beyond "nightlife" which we typically hone in on, the day time "play" options are in abundance too, beyond having a beach.
Eh, DC has good parks and cultural institutions, but it’s nothing special in the outdoors department. No recreational lake, not much in the way of camping and hiking, and a pretty bad climate. DC’s winters are worse than most people think, and summers are unbearably hot and humid.

You’re right about the personality of the city. I’ve never been anywhere where people were more obsessed with their work, and talking about their work in social situations. It’s not as if people in New York, Boston and Silicon Valley aren’t supremely ambitious and focused on their careers. They just know how to leave that **** at work.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:56 AM

375 posts, read 332,023 times
Quote:
Eh, DC has good parks and cultural institutions, but it’s nothing special in the outdoors department. No recreational lake, not much in the way of camping and hiking, and a pretty bad climate. DC’s winters are worse than most people think, and summers are unbearably hot and humid.
I wonder why you're passing off your opinion on DC's weather as a fact?

I happen to like DC's even seasons. DC is not far from skiing, and the beach in the summer. Beautiful fall colors, and spring (cherry) blooms.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:12 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I wonder why you're passing off your opinion on DC's weather as a fact?

I happen to like DC's even seasons. DC is not far from skiing, and the beach in the summer. Beautiful fall colors, and spring (cherry) blooms.
Yes, hot is subjective, but if you’re not willing to admit that DC is hot and humid in the summer, I don’t think we can have a reasonable discussion about the city.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f59ee204754

Old 10-31-2017, 10:18 AM

375 posts, read 332,023 times
Quote:
Yes, hot is subjective, but if you’re not willing to admit that DC is hot and humid in the summer, I don’t think we can have a reasonable discussion about the city.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2f59ee204754
Yes, DC is hot and humid during the summer. Which is what many people want their summer to be. Hot and humid summers encourage water sports and beach time.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
DC isn't Denver when it comes to outdoors recreation, but it's not bad. You can boat, kayak, etc. along the Potomac, and the Chesapeake Bay isn't far away, which has a few beaches. And of course, when it comes to day/weekend trips, there are lots more options--including proximity to other Bos-Wash cities.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM

657 posts, read 802,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No it is not...geesh. I like Boston was quite surprised by how sleepy it is at night when I visited a few years back.
Very surprising for a city with so many students.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Very surprising for a city with so many students.
Precisely...that was quite unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.