U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:47 AM

27 posts, read 14,489 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about coming back to live in the US, very possibly Colorado. I've not decided on where exactly, but I do love 4 seasons weather, especially dry hot summers and cold snowy winters! It would also be great if wherever I lived, had a nice downtown area with shops, bars and places to eat. And is a walkable area.

I'm open to all suggestions, so please help me out if you can. It will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys,
J0hnnyMac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 05:42 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,223,544 times
Maybe Durango?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,063,710 times
"A nice downtown" of 1-2 streets or 10 * 10 streets or more? Is size important?

What is hot & dry enough? 90s and no monsoons? Low 80s and a wet month or two? It is kinda hard to get lots of snow (if you mean 60-100 plus inches) and get really hot / dry summers here. Lots of snow usually means over 7,000 feet elevation. Over 7k usually means most of summer in 70s, low 80s. Which is more important?

Maybe look at Eagle or Glenwood Springs? Durango could be good but Durango itself doesn't get "lots of snow" by everyone's standards of lots of snow and it is not especially hot and usually does get some summer monsoon season (though not terrible). Manitou Springs?

Bend OR? Mammoth Lakes CA? Flagstaff AZ? The east side of the Sandia Mountains outside Albuquerque?

Would you consider Ketchum / Sun Valley / Hailey Idaho? Taos New Mexico?

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-01-2017 at 06:31 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 07:52 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,837,842 times
Do you need to find a job where you live and if so, what type of job?

Old 11-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
we need more info:
  • primary interests / objectives
  • Indoor interests AND outdoor interests (i.e. if you like whitewater kayaking... Sterling CO would be a bad choice, but if you like to shoot prairie dogs... Sterling is a GREAT choice!)
  • Jobs (income needs)
  • School
  • types for food
  • Climate (Mtn or prairie)
  • cost of housing expectation

Walkable city in the mtns... Durango / Glenwood Springs (And Missoula, MT !)

Walkable city NEAR mtns.. (with jobs.. Boulder, CoS, and Bozeman, MT!)

Why Colorado (most important question)

There are many similar choices of states that MIGHT be better... I.e. if you are in PRIME earning yrs you want the BEST pay (in your pocket) and the most career opportunities. For Mtns... That would be WY, WA, NH, and AK (income tax free states with high wages) + 4 seasons. SD is ALWAYS worth a look, nice mtns, income tax free + 4 seasons + lower CoL.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM

2,514 posts, read 535,364 times
Northern AZ.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:23 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,063,710 times
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az6597

Pinetop-Lakeside AZ may not be that well known. Some winter snow & summer sun (but not great heat and there is monsoon rain). Want drier? So a little north (like 5-10 miles). Want more snow? Go a bit closer to the high mountains. Hub for shopping, medical, more... and crime.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:30 AM

5,272 posts, read 1,441,988 times
What is your budget? Will you want to purchase a home? What type of work will you be doing?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 14,489 times
Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate them very much! Ive just got back into the UK from a trip to southern Portugal, which is why im late in responding. So I do apologise!

Ill try to be a little more specific and give you the situation that im in.

t this moment im not sure whether or not ill be coming back to the US with my wife and kids, or my myself. I lived in the US prior to meeting my wife, I then came back to Scotland for a vacation which is when i met my wife, so i stayed out and nearly 13 years later we are married and have a 10 year old daughter. I took on her older daughter who is now 16. So we have been a family ever since. But my wife always knew that my longterm future was in the US and she agreed and wanted to be part of that. To cut to the chase, we came back to America, I went first to get settled in my job and find a place for us to live together. She eventually came over with the kids and only stayed 3 months, then took the kids and went back to Scotland, leaving me in the US alone. I eventually followed her back to Scotand and walked away from a great job etc. Now I really want and need to be in the US, so im bringing them back this coming summer for a month and we are going to spend time in California, Nevada and Arizona, in the hope that she will want to come back an live - if not, then im in a make or break situation where ill need to decide what im doing.

So if im there with my wife, we will have 2 salaries, so we could pretty much live anywhere, however im trying to bass this on the worst case scenario where it might just be myself and my sole income of between $40,000-$50,000 per year. Id woulod prefer to live not in a major huge city, but maybe a plave that has a population of between 30,000-200,000 people, that has a great vibrant downtown area with lots of bars, restauants, shopping areas and parks etc. Somewhere we people enjoy spending time and if relatively safe - im wife enough to know that nowhere is entirely safe and risk free. I would also be renting a property. I peviously worked for a Health company in the US, so I expect i will go back and work for them, but I also have great experience in working within Personnel, Offices and I have a degree in IT, so I know I will always find something in terms of work. As far a snow, I do love snow, and always loved the idea of snow at Christmas, and going downtown to see the lights and the Christmas Carol singers etc - you know just like how it is when you watch movies. And again with the summers, nice and warm with lots of sun and dry days to enjoy parks etc and other outdoor activities. When I say lots of snow, i mean just enough snow that it looks really pretty and wintery - it definitely doesnt need to me mountain resort levels of snow. I think its fair to say that I dont like the flat plains states as i do like to see mountains and such around with varied terrains incuding forests, mountains, lakes etc.

You have all mentioned several locations, so i will definitely check all these out while we still exchange ideas and suggestions on here in the meantime.

Cheers,
J0hnnyMac.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM

5,272 posts, read 1,441,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hi All,

Thanks for all your responses, I appreciate them very much! Ive just got back into the UK from a trip to southern Portugal, which is why im late in responding. So I do apologise!

Ill try to be a little more specific and give you the situation that im in.

t this moment im not sure whether or not ill be coming back to the US with my wife and kids, or my myself. I lived in the US prior to meeting my wife, I then came back to Scotland for a vacation which is when i met my wife, so i stayed out and nearly 13 years later we are married and have a 10 year old daughter. I took on her older daughter who is now 16. So we have been a family ever since. But my wife always knew that my longterm future was in the US and she agreed and wanted to be part of that. To cut to the chase, we came back to America, I went first to get settled in my job and find a place for us to live together. She eventually came over with the kids and only stayed 3 months, then took the kids and went back to Scotland, leaving me in the US alone. I eventually followed her back to Scotand and walked away from a great job etc. Now I really want and need to be in the US, so im bringing them back this coming summer for a month and we are going to spend time in California, Nevada and Arizona, in the hope that she will want to come back an live - if not, then im in a make or break situation where ill need to decide what im doing.

So if im there with my wife, we will have 2 salaries, so we could pretty much live anywhere, however im trying to bass this on the worst case scenario where it might just be myself and my sole income of between $40,000-$50,000 per year. Id woulod prefer to live not in a major huge city, but maybe a plave that has a population of between 30,000-200,000 people, that has a great vibrant downtown area with lots of bars, restauants, shopping areas and parks etc. Somewhere we people enjoy spending time and if relatively safe - im wife enough to know that nowhere is entirely safe and risk free. I would also be renting a property. I peviously worked for a Health company in the US, so I expect i will go back and work for them, but I also have great experience in working within Personnel, Offices and I have a degree in IT, so I know I will always find something in terms of work. As far a snow, I do love snow, and always loved the idea of snow at Christmas, and going downtown to see the lights and the Christmas Carol singers etc - you know just like how it is when you watch movies. And again with the summers, nice and warm with lots of sun and dry days to enjoy parks etc and other outdoor activities. When I say lots of snow, i mean just enough snow that it looks really pretty and wintery - it definitely doesnt need to me mountain resort levels of snow. I think its fair to say that I dont like the flat plains states as i do like to see mountains and such around with varied terrains incuding forests, mountains, lakes etc.

You have all mentioned several locations, so i will definitely check all these out while we still exchange ideas and suggestions on here in the meantime.

Cheers,
J0hnnyMac.
Check out Fort Collins for the size you want, vibrant downtown, walkability in town, safe and family friendly. It's also home to CSU, which brings students and some culture. There are lots of trails throughout the city and in natural areas near town, including Horstooth Mountain Park and Lory State Park.

Most of Colorado will fit your description for warm to hot summers with blue skies and minimal rain and a decent amount of snow in the winter in several storms, but also with typically sunny skies. The snow usually melts away in a few days here on the high plains, but you remains throughout the winter in the nearby mountains for additional recreation.

The problem might be the income and housing. If you want to buy a home, you're looking at a minimum of $300,000, with the median price being $385,000. You're probably looking at $1200-$1300 for a two bedroom apartment and you can check out prices on Craigslist. We are at nearly full employment in Northern Colorado, which makes for a tight job market, so I would make sure you have a job first if possible.

In addition to Ft Collins, you might look at nearby Longmont and Grand Junction on the Western Slope, as both are within the size range
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or