U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 01:19 AM

613 posts, read 979,101 times

Advertisements

Boise, ID could be a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:52 AM

7,750 posts, read 9,053,224 times
You should go where you can get a job and afford to live comfortably.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:23 PM

3,664 posts, read 1,546,642 times
Colorado Springs CO, Denver CO, Salt Lake City UT, Boise ID, Albuquerque NM

Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM

27 posts, read 14,510 times
Hi all,

Thanks for all the responses - I will check all these locations out.

To try and be more specific, I worked for a Health company previously in the US and I would be earning between $40,000-$50,000 per year. If my wife was definitely joining me back in the US then we would have more options in terms of where we could afford to live, but as it stands at the moment, I dont know if my wife will be coming back with me, so im trying to base this on my sole income. Ive lived in California and love everything about it there. It really does have everything, but again, its very very expensive, so im kind of ruling that out. I also lived in Arizona and Nevada and loved it, I loved the weather, the fact that I had an apartment with a pool and hottub etc, loved the scenery of the clear blue skies and the mountains always in the backdrop, and loved the activities that were available, so those states are very much options. I lived in Ohio and Maine, and what I loved most about these places was the 4 seaons weather. I especially loved sitting out in my yard or a friends yard with a group of friends, sitting round a fire, and enjoying the night with the sounds the nighttime brings. I found that extremely enjoyable and relaxing. I also really loved the snow in these states in the wintertime, more so Maine, as where I was in Ohio, I neever got to experience as much snow as i would have liked. I was in Cuyahoga Falls, so just outside the snow belt for the lake effect snow. But i did like all the activities I could participate on at the lakes etc. I think this is why im kind of looking for somerwhere that has a lottle bit of everything that Ive mentioned. Obvioulsy if its only going to be myself, then I would like to live somewhere that if affordable for me.

Cheers,
J0hnnyMac.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 13,137,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about coming back to live in the US. I've not decided on where exactly, but I do love 4 seasons weather, especially dry hot summers and cold snowy winters! It would also be great if wherever I lived, had a nice downtown area with shops, bars and places to eat. And is a walkable area.

I'm open to all suggestions, so please help me out if you can. It will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys,
J0hnnyMac.
Why are you leaving Scotland? I'd rather be there than the vast majority of the US.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:21 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
How important is the dry aspect? Denver, Salt Lake City and Boise are probably your best choices for actual dry hot/warm summers and snowy winters. If you don't mind warm and slightly humid summer and snowy winters, then the upper Midwest. Twin Cities, Madison, Milwaukee, Chicago, Ann Arbor.

I think Saint Paul fits your desires to a T minus the "dry" part but it can get hot here and the humidity pales compared to the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or