U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 03:54 AM

27 posts, read 14,480 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about coming back to live in the US. I've not decided on where exactly, but I do love 4 seasons weather, especially dry hot summers and cold snowy winters! It would also be great if wherever I lived, had a nice downtown area with shops, bars and places to eat. And is a walkable area.

I'm open to all suggestions, so please help me out if you can. It will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys,
J0hnnyMac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:31 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,962,789 times
What's your price range, job prospects, etc?

There are certainly many many options for nice downtown areas as you describe, but most of them are limited to a small area. If you are seeking a city that has a large walkable area, perhaps not just limited to downtown, then you are probably looking at a dozen or so at the most, and they would all be very large cities.

Of those, given your weather preferences (with the caveat that I'm not a weather expert but just glanced at historical humidity averages), NYC seems to be the best fit, with Boston, Philly, DC and Chicago close behind. Minneapolis, Baltimore and Denver are some other good ones to consider, particularly on the affordability scale.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:49 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,522,521 times
There a TONS of options for the little bit of criteria that you provided.

What’s the budget in mind?
What will you be doing for work?
Any activities you want to have close by (hiking, biking, etc...)?

Old 11-01-2017, 09:59 AM

3,667 posts, read 8,768,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about coming back to live in the US. I've not decided on where exactly, but I do love 4 seasons weather, especially dry hot summers and cold snowy winters! It would also be great if wherever I lived, had a nice downtown area with shops, bars and places to eat. And is a walkable area.

I'm open to all suggestions, so please help me out if you can. It will be hugely appreciated!

Thanks guys,
J0hnnyMac.
Welcome back (potentially!!)

If you are looking for dry, hot (NOT HUMID) summers, your best bet is out in the western US. Think Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico or Utah--also areas in California near the mountains. The east coast and southeast of the US will be super humid during the summers and will be hot, but mostly humid. Also, the great lakes areas, plains states and parts of the northeast will provide snowy winters (think Syracuse, New York/Buffalo, New York, along the Michigan great lakes coastline). In the southeast, there will be minimal snowfall on the whole.

As for the nice downtown areas, check out Santa Fe, New Mexico or Flagstaff, Arizona, Sedona, Arizona, and many other rocky mountain/southwest states fit the bill for big snows, hot dry summers and nice downtowns.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:10 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Minneapolis, Baltimore and Denver are some other good ones to consider, particularly on the affordability scale.
Minneapolis and Denver especially I think are good fits as would be Baltimore if it were more on the "snowy" end, however it's not. I would also throw Indianapolis and Columbus into the mix as well given their cost of living and very vibrant downtown neighborhoods.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 746,831 times
Dry hot summers and snowy winters pretty much means Colorado or PNW I imagine.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM

6,465 posts, read 4,066,328 times
Spokane. The weather fits perfectly and they have really revitalized the downtown.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:53 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Spokane. The weather fits perfectly and they have really revitalized the downtown.
I was going to say the same thing, or Salt Lake City.

Here are their climate tables.

Spokane
Salt Lake City

They both have snowy winters and dry hot summers. SLC is hotter and gets more snow than Spokane.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times
Washington D.C

Old 11-01-2017, 06:01 PM

721 posts, read 298,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyMac View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks guys,
J0hnnyMac.
Dry and hot summer with a snowy winter can really only be found in the west like Colorado, Utah etc. The northern states are pretty humid in summer (and are unbearable in winter) Consider Denver, CO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or