U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2017, 08:40 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,405 posts, read 55,291,167 times
Reputation: 15495

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
The state is still filled with a bunch of crazed "sophisticated intellectuals" (for example, the crybabies that destroyed Berkeley
Huh? UC Berkeley is the best public university on earth ranking 4th in the world according to US News and World Report.

California Universities in US News' Global Ranking:
#3 Stanford
#4 UC Berkeley
#6 Cal Tech
#13 UCLA
#15 UC San Francisco
#16 UC San Diego
#28 UC Santa Barbara(tied with NYU)
#47 UC Santa Barbara(McGill is 49th)
#52 UC Davis(tied with Rockefeller)
#62 USC
#75 UC Irvine

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ankings?page=2


Crazed intellectuals? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2017, 08:43 PM
 
Location: New York Metropolitan Area
406 posts, read 291,759 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Huh? UC Berkeley is the best public university on earth ranking 4th in the world according to US News and World Report.

California Universities in US News' Global Ranking:
#3 Stanford
#4 UC Berkeley
#6 Cal Tech
#13 UCLA
#15 UC San Francisco
#16 UC San Diego
#28 UC Santa Barbara(tied with NYU)
#47 UC Santa Barbara(McGill is 49th)
#52 UC Davis(tied with Rockefeller)
#62 USC
#75 UC Irvine

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ankings?page=2


Crazed intellectuals? LOL
Im referring to the psychopath college kids that attend the school that, when they found out they were going to be within a mile of someone with a different view of them, caused a huge scene on campus that caused fires and damages to the school. Doesn't sound like something a normal intellectual would do. That's the left for ya though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
6,669 posts, read 3,714,126 times
Reputation: 12558
You might look at the Rio Grande valley from Santa Fe down through Los Alamos, Albuquerque, and Socorro. Sandia and Los Alamos national labs, UNM, NM Tech are there. Santa Fe has several colleges plus a vibrant cultural scene. Albuquerque has a mix of things being a university town -- AAA ball team is the Isotopes. Climate is warmish but not hot...four seasons. Cost of living can vary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,405 posts, read 55,291,167 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Im referring to the psychopath college kids that attend the school that, when they found out they were going to be within a mile of someone with a different view of them, caused a huge scene on campus that caused fires and damages to the school. Doesn't sound like something a normal intellectual would do. That's the left for ya though!
Those werent really students but mainly local anarchists. You dont seem to really know much about UC Berkeley.

Just a bit of advice: dont rely on sensationalistic, partisan, biased sources for news and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,405 posts, read 55,291,167 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You might look at the Rio Grande valley from Santa Fe down through Los Alamos, Albuquerque, and Socorro. Sandia and Los Alamos national labs, UNM, NM Tech are there. Santa Fe has several colleges plus a vibrant cultural scene. Albuquerque has a mix of things being a university town -- AAA ball team is the Isotopes. Climate is warmish but not hot...four seasons. Cost of living can vary.
I was thinking about this area too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM
 
377 posts, read 203,874 times
Reputation: 349
In California, I don't think sophisticated or (especially) intelligent when I think of LA and especially San Diego. Before people jump on my back - I get it, there are plenty of intelligent people living there, there just is no prevailing culture of intellectualism or sophistication in those two metro areas. Now, in San Francisco/Bay ... sure. But I don't consider that area "warm" but that's up to individual tastes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 03:32 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Reputation: 15366
Santa Fe - a community heavily invested in the arts
Charleston - many transplants with notable backgrounds in the arts.
New Orleans - rite of passage historically for many in the arts community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 03:58 AM
 
377 posts, read 203,874 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Santa Fe - a community heavily invested in the arts
Charleston - many transplants with notable backgrounds in the arts.
New Orleans - rite of passage historically for many in the arts community
Santa Fe is a 4-seasonal climate, I don't think you can call it "warm" under any stretch of the imagination. Though I get it, it has a Spanish name and is close to Mexico so people assume it's warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 06:16 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
18,926 posts, read 6,929,069 times
Reputation: 5862
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Santa Fe is a 4-seasonal climate, I don't think you can call it "warm" under any stretch of the imagination. Though I get it, it has a Spanish name and is close to Mexico so people assume it's warm.
Exactly, Santa Fe has a normal mean temp below freezing in both December and January, that is Continental
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2017, 06:53 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,147,619 times
Reputation: 15366
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Santa Fe is a 4-seasonal climate, I don't think you can call it "warm" under any stretch of the imagination. Though I get it, it has a Spanish name and is close to Mexico so people assume it's warm.
Well, that is true. It actually comes to my mind first and foremost as a summer retreat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top