U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:43 AM

5,690 posts, read 8,599,419 times

Advertisements

If you were in the tech field (full stack Sr Software Engineer) which would be a better move in terms of getting financially ahead - i.e. salaries, taxes, cost of living, availability of jobs.

1. Dallas
2. Austin
3. Atlanta
4. possibly Raleign area

As a single if I buy something in these areas it would be something in the range of $200-250k, 2-3 bedroom townhome, something like that within 30 minutes commute of jobs. I know Dallas and Raleigh are totally doable in that range.. Austin and ATL not so sure. The big draw to Dallas is no state income tax and it's ridiculously cheaper than Austin. Austin is still reasonable but getting expensive, ATL has already become quite expensive in certain areas but there may be a few reasonable areas left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:28 AM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
I think it depends where your work will be. I think all 4 have reasonably priced burbs, but I hate Austin's suburbs. So boring. I'd want to live in Austin proper, but 250 probably doesn't get you there. I think Atlanta burbs can be affordable though?

Never been to Raleigh area, but have heard it's an awesome tech area.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
Very familiar with Raleigh here and was in Austin twice this Summer for work. I was blown away with how expensive Austin is becoming and how far out you have to go from the center of the city to find reasonably priced housing. Maybe I just didn't see the right part of town? I don't want to send a message that 250K isn't possible because I am not thoroughly familiar. It's just that what I saw seemed really expensive for location, quality and age of property.
Climates and terrain will definitely separate Austin & Dallas from Atlanta & Raleigh. Austin & Dallas will be quite hot (like over 100 degree hot) for many, many days in the Summer. Atlanta & Raleigh will be more typically be in the low 90s with higher humidity than Austin and Dallas. Austin will have the longest Summer and the shortest, most mild Winter. The other three cities will have short Winters as well but with more variation from warmer days to more occasional Winter storms.
Find some jobs first and then look at costs of living relative to the offers.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:12 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,984,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Very familiar with Raleigh here and was in Austin twice this Summer for work. I was blown away with how expensive Austin is becoming and how far out you have to go from the center of the city to find reasonably priced housing. Maybe I just didn't see the right part of town? I don't want to send a message that 250K isn't possible because I am not thoroughly familiar. It's just that what I saw seemed really expensive for location, quality and age of property.
Climates and terrain will definitely separate Austin & Dallas from Atlanta & Raleigh. Austin & Dallas will be quite hot (like over 100 degree hot) for many, many days in the Summer. Atlanta & Raleigh will be more typically be in the low 90s with higher humidity than Austin and Dallas. Austin will have the longest Summer and the shortest, most mild Winter. The other three cities will have short Winters as well but with more variation from warmer days to more occasional Winter storms.
Find some jobs first and then look at costs of living relative to the offers.
No, basically the entire city core is pricey, even the gentrified east side. I had a chance to buy something there eons ago and missed.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:20 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
IMO, Atlanta or Raleigh. TX property taxes would discourage me from ever living there.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No, basically the entire city core is pricey, even the gentrified east side. I had a chance to buy something there eons ago and missed.
I went to a cool taco/bar on the east side. You can see that it's already too late to invest there.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, Atlanta or Raleigh. TX property taxes would discourage me from ever living there.
This is true. TX may not have income taxes but you get raped in property tax, sales tax and toll roads.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,690 times
Dallas proper is pretty expensive as well as some of the more sought after suburbs -- Plano, Frisco, etc. $250K won't go too far there until you're further west of Dallas (e.g. Fort Worth area).

Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM

5,690 posts, read 8,599,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
yes, but TX also does not have any income taxes... if you are a higher earner that could be a huge incentive. California's income tax is 9.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Dallas proper is pretty expensive as well as some of the more sought after suburbs -- Plano, Frisco, etc. $250K won't go too far there until you're further west of Dallas (e.g. Fort Worth area).
Yes, but for those of us in Southern California it's still a bargain... for instance starting prices here are around $700,000 for a 1500 sqft 3 bedroom. In addition you have 1.25-3% property taxes, depending on where you buy taxes can be even more than Texas here because of special assessments like Mello Roos. If you think TX rapes you then multiply that by 4 and that is how much CA rapes you - the weather and economy is supposed to make up for it but it hardly does.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 3,718,771 times
Not a huge difference in COL or available good paying tech jobs for those locations. I'd say pick the one that appeals to you most. Do you have family or friends in or close to one of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or