U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 05:44 PM

3,676 posts, read 1,553,795 times

Advertisements

It's going to be practically impossible to find high density that's "affordable". You're pretty much going to have to pick one or the other. A lot of people tightly embrace high density, then complain about affordable housing shortages that high density creates in these same areas. It's Economics 101; you almost never can have it both ways........ The "hypster" scene is usually a "the grass is greener" trap, so be sure to go into all of this with reasonable expectations. "Cool" is a very relative term........ Be sure when looking for a "diverse" place to live that you REALLY want what the word means. Many times when people say "diverse", it means "thinks like me"......... Given all you said, Minneapolis/St. Paul comes to mind. If the cold isn't an issue for you, it's a great place whose cost of living hasn't gotten crazy out of control yet. Wherever you land, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:59 AM

2,090 posts, read 1,113,335 times
Where in gods name are you paying $850 p/bed in Boston?

Will you find me one?

Old 11-29-2017, 11:07 AM

929 posts, read 297,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Where in gods name are you paying $850 p/bed in Boston?

Will you find me one?
I was thinking the same thing. A rooftop in Roxbury?
In terms of the question posed, how about Flagstaff or Colorado Springs? I don't recall the extent of public transit in either, and I know Flagstaff is hardly affordable in most people's eyes, but I don't think any worse than a few places mentioned by the OP.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:22 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,156,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apersonwhosaysthings View Post
I think Portland does have a small tech scene, but it didn't appear to be nearly as close as other popular cities. Seattle definitely does, though.

And yeah, Austin really does have it all, but high heat is such a killer for me. But I guess it's similar to the miserable winter here.
Just remember that while summers in Austin are intense, fall/winter/early spring are quite moderate. With Portland and Seattle, you'll have long periods of rainy dreary weather. Austin would have the friendlest / sociable people by far of the four cities. And yes, cold miserable winters would be traded for hot miserable summers. Just stay indoors more during those times.

I'd scratch Denver off the list. Based on your desires, which I can relate to, and being familiar with Denver, would say that town won't work.

You really might want to consider other cities / states / areas. You might be missing some great places that will top the four you're focusing on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or