U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 10:11 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,107,747 times

Advertisements

Maryland was my guess before even coming into the thread.

West Virginia's panhandles make it very ugly.

Alaska's Juneau-Ketchikan Peninsula is also impossibly ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,107,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Maryland should've gotten Virginia's eastern shore, that whole peninsula is just weird.

Other than Maryland, West Virginia and Michigan.
Or just unite Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and DC into a 'Capitol Region' state of 16,940,527 people in 73,296 square miles of land. It would still barely crack the Top 20 states by area.

Do the same for New England. 62,688 square miles and 14,735,525 people.

Give Delaware and Southern Jersey to Pennsylvania. Give the rest to New York.

Merge states together so that no state has less than <10 million people and aim for 25 states.

A lot of the funky shapes in Maryland/WV are historical in nature and there's no reason they should still remain valid. West Virginia wanted Harpers Ferry because it wanted a piece of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and didn't want Virginia to have a piece of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

None of those have been valid for 100+ years. So why should WV still have these weird appendages?

Old 11-11-2017, 11:20 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Maybe not weird but I like Nevadaís angle from the Colorado River down at 35N up to Lake Tahoe.

Also Oklahoma is like a pot with handle...itís panhandle,
a panhandle so skinny,itís like why bother, give it to Texas
Because then Oklahoma would look really weird lol. So would Texas but to a more subtle extent.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:21 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Maryland and West Virginia look weird. More so WV.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:38 PM

204 posts, read 162,885 times
Maryland's pretty weird shaped with its salient.

I always thought it pretty weird that Michigan has an Upper and Lower Penininsula. I always thought the U.P. should belong to Wisconsin. I also find it weird that the great lakes system made Michigan's L.P. shaped like an oven mitten.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM

6,854 posts, read 7,801,051 times
Delaware is the only state with an arc as part of its border (weíll, I guess PA is the reciprocal state):

It always looks like someone took a bite out of a sandwich to me.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:11 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,423,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Michigan. It can't help its mitten shape, but the whole upper peninsula part should belong to Wisconsin. The way it's separated is weird.
You probably know why that is, but Michigan was given the acreage in what was to become the Upper Peninsula by the federal government to compensate for having to give Toledo and control of the Maumee River and its access to Lake Erie to Ohio in the Toledo War back in the 1830s.

The Toledo War: When Michigan and Ohio Nearly Came to Blows - History in the Headlines

"At the stroke of a pen, Toledo and the Maumee officially became part of the state of Ohio. Michigan, meanwhile, was compensated with 9,000 square miles of land on the Upper Peninsula between Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. At the time, many Michiganders considered the trade-off a bad deal. The Detroit Free Press even dubbed the Upper Peninsula a barren wasteland of “perpetual snows,” but public opinion later shifted after the region was found to contain valuable deposits of copper and iron ore."

Had things gone the other way, Michigan would simply be a big mitten with a little more wrist and the UP would surely belong to Wisconsin.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Also Oklahoma is like a pot with handle...itís panhandle,
a panhandle so skinny,itís like why bother, give it to Texas
True, but I've always appreciated the fact that the Oklahoma Panhandle at least makes the state truly look like a pan with a handle. To me, the Texas Panhandle doesn't remotely resemble a handle or a pan in any way, shape, or form. It's just a big block of land sticking up from the rest of the state. Had they given that chunk of land to Oklahoma then Oklahoma would no longer be a pan with a well defined handle but would look almost exactly like Kansas.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:24 PM

338 posts, read 304,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
True, but I've always appreciated the fact that the Oklahoma Panhandle at least makes the state truly look like a pan with a handle. To me, the Texas Panhandle doesn't remotely resemble a handle or a pan in any way, shape, or form. It's just a big block of land sticking up from the rest of the state. Had they given that chunk of land to Oklahoma then Oklahoma would no longer be a pan with a well defined handle but would look almost exactly like Kansas.
Instead of calling it the Texas Panhandle they should call it the Texas Chimney.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
Instead of calling it the Texas Panhandle they should call it the Texas Chimney.
Yes, exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or